Tickets

2,023 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jja79
Bullpen Chias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You could double the price of lower level baseball tickets and sell them all out. They are regularly selling for $40+ per ticket for Friday and Saturday on the secondary.

I have six upper level season tickets. I goto about half the games and sell the other half. I end up in the black at the end of the season. If A&M was pricing the games right, they would be getting that money and not me.

Basketball is a different story. I'd go with Hop's suggestion here and provide significant incentive to buy.
Commander Keen
Hop said:

JJxvi said:

I've said this before, but the regional alumni base that supports football can't be who the target market is for basketball. They need to be selling tickets to people who live in B/CS

Yes and no. There's no question that during the reseating of Kyle when everybody was scrambling to maximize their priority points before the selection process, there were plenty of people upping thei donations to improve priority with nothing attached. Had they provided a multiplier that would allow donors to more quickly up their priority points with fewer dollars, they would do it in a heartbeat. Then when they have the tickets in-hand, there is a much greater chance they will go than they would with no season tickets. And then who knows, then some will like it and become permanent fans and season ticket holders.

Also, there are a lot of donors/fans who now live locally in B/CS. It just takes another 2,000-3,000 season tickets to fill the place if students show up...I think you have those numbers in B/CS especially with all of the retirees moving here.
Retirees don't make noise. It's why having former students on the student side of Kyle is a terrible idea. Putting butts in the seats is not the only thing that creates atmosphere.
mhayden
Hop said:

JJxvi said:

I've said this before, but the regional alumni base that supports football can't be who the target market is for basketball. They need to be selling tickets to people who live in B/CS

Yes and no. There's no question that during the reseating of Kyle when everybody was scrambling to maximize their priority points before the selection process, there were plenty of people upping thei donations to improve priority with nothing attached. Had they provided a multiplier that would allow donors to more quickly up their priority points with fewer dollars, they would do it in a heartbeat. Then when they have the tickets in-hand, there is a much greater chance they will go than they would with no season tickets. And then who knows, then some will like it and become permanent fans and season ticket holders.

Also, there are a lot of donors/fans who now live locally in B/CS. It just takes another 2,000-3,000 season tickets to fill the place if students show up...I think you have those numbers in B/CS especially with all of the retirees moving here.

That occurred, it just wasn't promoted by the TMF. It's not a coincidence that season ticket sales stayed relatively steady after some piss poor seasons from the basketball team. Plenty of people played the game and realized that it made more sense priority-point-wise to buy a $100 basketball season ticket and sell it for $50 rather than just make a straight up donation.

I just think had the TMF marketed an incentive to rack up FB priority points for basketball season ticket sales you would have had a lot of old Ags really upset... "I support football for 40 years and someone who buys basketball tickets is jumping me!?"

As far as fundraising goes, I think New Kyle was done about as well as could have been done.

The issue I see from the TMF in regards to basketball revolves around not being proactive enough -- which isn't a surprise considering they likely aren't staffed well enough to do so. The Saturday plans are always a good idea, but more should be done to package the Kentucky game with other, less desirable games.

But at the end of the day, that's more about revenue than it is actual butts in seats. If the team is bad, people aren't going to bother showing up to watch a bad team play. The price point is such that when you take into account parking, concessions and 3 hours of your time, a lot of people will just eat a ticket to Whatssamatta U rather than going.
BQ_90
AG
They need to take one of the practice gyms and convert it in game day to a club. Offer beer and food and target younger Aggies. They tied something similar in football before the rebuild in the practice bubble. I know some guys with Texans tickets that have a bar and food pregame rolled into their ticket package
hurleyag
AG
While the RW news will add some bump to sales, I don't expect it to be that much. We won't get UK at home for a 3rd year, so the big marquee conference game isn't there.
TXAggie2011
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

You could double the price of lower level baseball tickets and sell them all out. They are regularly selling for $40+ per ticket for Friday and Saturday on the secondary.

I have six upper level season tickets. I goto about half the games and sell the other half. I end up in the black at the end of the season. If A&M was pricing the games right, they would be getting that money and not me.

Basketball is a different story. I'd go with Hop's suggestion here and provide significant incentive to buy.

Again, I think if you want folks to go to baseball and also basketball (and other sports too) so that you have great attendance all around, you have to be careful about jacking up prices on the primary market.

You end up cannabalizing discretionary income and you end up with folks focusing money on one sport rather than splitting between two.

I'm sure there's some room to increase baseball prices (at least until the next time the team gets swept over a weekend) but my point would be $20 on baseball, $20 on basketball is probably a more desirable outcome for A&M than $40 on baseball, $0 on basketball. Humor the over generality of my point.

(And allowing fans to resell on the second market brings that money to their pockets which they can go spend on another Aggie sport. While I'm sure it doesn't work just like that for most, A&M isn't necessarily losing all of that revenue.)
Hop
Staff
AG
Commander Keen said:

Hop said:

JJxvi said:

Retirees don't make noise. It's why having former students on the student side of Kyle is a terrible idea. Putting butts in the seats is not the only thing that creates atmosphere.
If atmosphere is your only concern and students are the key, then tie priority of football ticket pulls to the number of non-football events attended with basketball getting 3xthe points of other sports. You can shake your head at what you don;t like, but there are many, many ways to put butts in the seats beoth paying season ticket holders and students. It's pretty easy, reward people for attending by giving them advantages to what they value...football.
CactusThomas
AG
hurleyag said:

We won't get UK at home for a 3rd year, so the big marquee conference game isn't there.

4th year.
AggieTFA06
AG
We had the talent to win the previous season, and we didn't. Fans aren't going to spend money on an underachieving program. We need results.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
jja79
AG
Have you ever been to Kyle Field? We have plenty of fans who will pay for underachieving programs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.