Tickets

2,021 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jja79
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the 12th Man Foundation sent me an email yesterday like immediately after the Robert Williams news came out, wanting to know if I was interested in season tickets and sent me through the ticketing system to register for how many I might be interested in. I guess they are getting ready to start squeezing that blood again. I'll consider basketball if prices remain static, I'm not playing this horse**** game anymore where finally some crumb of success means they are gonna rape you all the time anymore.
TXAggie2011
AG
Got the email too and I'm sure we all did.

We'll see what happens with pricing.

There was no crumb of success this year unless you are counting keeping Williams a crumb of success. I suppose that is. Whatever.

They've definitely become very aggressive in ticket sales and pricing since I graduated and first got on the mailing list.

But I won't be too upset about the email and the 12th Man folks unless the pricing goes up.
BQ_90
AG
smart marketing. did they say how much the seats where? Or is this a pre order now and we'll tell you later how much.

I got those discounted tickets this year where you didn't know you seat from game to game. I wonder if I'll get the option to keep them.
mdanyc03
AG
I am trying to understand what exactly you are upset about.

But I don't really have a clue.
miller0926
AG
Ya I pointed this out on the Premium thread that someone started saying "Get your butt to Reed next year".

My family has season tickets that we are planning on renewing but I could see them jacking up the prices because of the expectations.
JJxvi
AG
I'm not upset about anything yet. But I have 15 years of experience with them to know where this email is leading to.
Tobias Funke
AG
JJxvi said:

I'm not upset about anything yet. But I have 15 years of experience with them to know where this email is leading to.

If this is you not upset, you must be a real joy!
JJxvi
AG
I do have a terrible secret. When I post with a red face, usually my face doesnt really look so angry in real life.
Madaman
Meh. Im not renewing anyway. Cheaper to buy game by game
GE
AG
Madaman said:

Meh. Im not renewing anyway. Cheaper to buy game by game
Every year I tell myself this and then get hyped and renew. Was dead set on this finally being the year bht not so sure with the Williams news
mhayden
They aren't going to raise already high A&M Basketball prices after the year we just had. I think we're all glad Robert Williams is back, but to the majority of A&M basketball fans it's not the difference between them committing to season tickets or not.

The email was meant for the few that the Robert Williams news might make a difference on.

As others have said, sharp marketing and shows they are more on the ball.
BQ_90
AG
free_mhayden said:

They aren't going to raise already high A&M Basketball prices after the year we just had. I think we're all glad Robert Williams is back, but to the majority of A&M basketball fans it's not the difference between them committing to season tickets or not.

The email was meant for the few that the Robert Williams news might make a difference on.

If I where them I'd offer up some deals right now, try to create some buzz. By now they have their core group of season ticket holders so offer up some specials or deals isn't going to hurt that.

Honestly they should offer up some priority point specials. Do anything to get people in the building.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The off-season hype train on the 2017-2018 A&M basketball team is just beginning. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. The program will get a bit more mentions in the press and we'll probably be a pre-season Top-25 team in the AP poll.
_lefraud_
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

The off-season hype train on the 2017-2018 A&M basketball team is just beginning. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. The program will get a bit more mentions in the press and we'll probably be a pre-season Top-25 team in the AP poll.
That would be quite the jump, and I highly doubt anyone in the AP is going to give a&m that much attention.
miller0926
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Pumpkinhead said:

That would be quite the jump, and I highly doubt anyone in the AP is going to give a&m that much attention.
Rhode Island was #23 in the Preseason AP poll and #24 in the Coaches after going 17-15 overall, 9-9 in the A10 (1 and done in their conference tourney as well) last season.
mikesyracuse1
Here's the email.

Mikesyracuse1

Texas A&M received great news from Reed Arena today as Aggie basketball's phenomenal freshman Robert Williams announced his intention to return to A&M for the 2017-18 season! Williams, a projected NBA lottery pick, tallied 11 double-doubles this year and owns the nation's longest active blocked shot streak after recording at least one block in every game this season.

Today's announcement means A&M will return four starters and 86.1 percent of its scoring output next year.

Big things are on the horizon for Texas A&M basketball, and we hope you will be part of it again next season!

Season ticket renewals will begin in June.
Robert Williams will be at Reed Arena in 2017-2018, and we hope you will be there, too!

Tobias Funke
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I bet you're wrong
JJxvi
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Pumpkinhead said:

100% we are going to start ranked with the current roster. Only question is how high
JJxvi
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Here's the email.

Mikesyracuse1

Texas A&M received great news from Reed Arena today as Aggie basketball's phenomenal freshman Robert Williams announced his intention to return to A&M for the 2017-18 season! Williams, a projected NBA lottery pick, tallied 11 double-doubles this year and owns the nation's longest active blocked shot streak after recording at least one block in every game this season.

Today's announcement means A&M will return four starters and 86.1 percent of its scoring output next year.

Big things are on the horizon for Texas A&M basketball, and we hope you will be part of it again next season!

Season ticket renewals will begin in June.
Robert Williams will be at Reed Arena in 2017-2018, and we hope you will be there, too!

Mine was slightly different since i dont already have tickets.

Quote:

Big things are on the horizon for Texas A&M basketball, and we want you to be a part of it!

Click below to express interest in 2017-18 season tickets.

Hop
Staff
AG
BQ_90 said:

free_mhayden said:

If I where them I'd offer up some deals right now, try to create some buzz. By now they have their core group of season ticket holders so offer up some specials or deals isn't going to hurt that.

Honestly they should offer up some priority point specials. Do anything to get people in the building.

I thought they should have done that during the Kyle Field reseating. Offer those that make new basketball donations associated with season tickets get 5/10/15x the points per donation dollar...whatever multiplier that incentivized donors to sign up for season tickets on pursuit of priority points for Kyle.
greg.w.h
AG
I liked both emails. If you didn't buy season tickets by definition you will pay more this year.

Leveraging good news to market the program in order to sell more tickets and fill Reed is exactly what needs to happen. More full every proceeding year is the goal.

Our suspicion of the program essentially comes off as casting aspersions on the University for doing what they ought to do. I'd much rather discard the passive aggressive approach and focus on hearty discussion of the issues we think make it hard to enjoy the season tickets rather than the price. I expect the price to go up to support both marketing and developing the basketball program at Texas A&M.

[Money]'s right up there with oxygen as far as running a good athletic program.. --Bill Byrne
mhayden
A large # of A&M hoops season tickets were sold due to priority point jockeying.

They obviously could have got more had they offered point multipliers, but you would have further pissed off an already pissed off fanbase in regards to priority points and New Kyle.

Making an extra $50-$100k or so likely wasn't worth the headache.
Hop
Staff
AG
free_mhayden said:

A large # of A&M hoops season tickets were sold due to priority point jockeying.

They obviously could have got more had they offered point multipliers, but you would have further pissed off an already pissed off fanbase in regards to priority points and New Kyle.

Making an extra $50-$100k or so likely wasn't worth the headache.

I wasn't thinking of the money generated...rather an opportunity to get people in the seats and in the habit of coming to basketball games. Anyway, just in general the admin could be leveraging the demand for Aggie football to jump start season tickets sold for basketball....buy season basketball tickets and you get complimentary priority football parking...just spitfiring here.
JJxvi
AG
I've said this before, but the regional alumni base that supports football can't be who the target market is for basketball. They need to be selling tickets to people who live in B/CS
Bullpen Chias
AG
If you want to go up on prices, do it at Olsen Field. The lower level renews at 99%. That means the prices are too low.

No reason baseball program should be in the red. They could charge $10 extra for every weekend reserved seat and make an extra $1M and put the program in the black.
TXAggie2011
AG
Yes, I think if you're taking the actual butts in seats angle, it's cultivating the locals that are looking for something to do in between football/fall sports and the spring sports, especially on weeknights.

I'm sure you can use something tied with football to help that cause, but I think you've got to sell basketball to locals as a fun, affordable thing in and of itself to get that devoted group that is going to show up to games. And making the effort in the community that say, women's basketball and the soccer programs have made, would be good too; build a personal connection with locals.
zagman
AG
There is one quick way to fill up Reed. Hire a coach!
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
TXAggie2011
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

If you want to go up on prices, do it at Olsen Field. The lower level renews at 99%. That means the prices are too low.

No reason baseball program should be in the red. They could charge $10 extra for every weekend reserved seat and make an extra $1M and put the program in the black.

Baseball has also been fielding relatively pretty good teams.

The fact with A&M and any college town university is their bread and butter for any sport that plays during the work week and/or multiple times on a weekend is their locals.

Locals only exist in such a number and they only have so much cash.

If they want good attendance year round in all sports, they need to price all the sports in a way that year round attendance to multiple sports is affordable for local fans. (Within reason...not saying give away tickets so everyone can go to every game they want). If that means baseball or whatever has a high renewal rate, so be it.
TXAggie2011
AG
zagman said:

There is one quick way to fill up Reed. Hire a coach!

I think 99% of folk here would agree winning cures a lot.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

That'w why RW will be rolling in $$ when next season is over.
jml2621
JJxvi said:

I've said this before, but the regional alumni base that supports football can't be who the target market is for basketball. They need to be selling tickets to people who live in B/CS

Correct. Folks travel for football. Gotta keep the price point reasonable and sell MORE season and package deal tickets. Volume. fill Reed.

$Bill raised ticket prices just in time for the Great Recession. In analyzing the NCAA-wide slide in attendance, finances more that Turge was the reason attendance lagged a bit. however, we actually ranked higher in 2010 and 2011 among our college peers as attendance nationwide was down.
Hop
Staff
AG
JJxvi said:

Yes and no. There's no question that during the reseating of Kyle when everybody was scrambling to maximize their priority points before the selection process, there were plenty of people upping thei donations to improve priority with nothing attached. Had they provided a multiplier that would allow donors to more quickly up their priority points with fewer dollars, they would do it in a heartbeat. Then when they have the tickets in-hand, there is a much greater chance they will go than they would with no season tickets. And then who knows, then some will like it and become permanent fans and season ticket holders.

Also, there are a lot of donors/fans who now live locally in B/CS. It just takes another 2,000-3,000 season tickets to fill the place if students show up...I think you have those numbers in B/CS especially with all of the retirees moving here.
mdanyc03
AG
JJxvi said:

This x100.

Look at schools that do surprisingly well in attendance and it is schools in mid sized metro areas that connect with the local community.

San Diego State, Marquette, BYU, Creighton, New Mexico, Dayton all do very well in attendance (all top 30 in attendance at least. Creighton is top 10). They are not selling all of their tickets to alumni. They have been accepted by their towns as the home town team and are supported by the entire community. Louisville and Syracuse are 2nd and 3rd respectively. I have been to a Louisville game and the student section didn't look any better than Reed. The arena was full of people from the local community (most probably not alumni).

BCS has grown a lot and we should be marketing to that community that has never attended A&M and never will attend A&M. We should have Aggie basketball billboards in Bryan. Radio ads on local stations, including Spanish language stations. We have three guys on the team that speak Spanish and we should have them record radio spots and social media stuff in Spanish. Etc.
BQ_90
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

wait you want to raise tickets prices on the weekend to $35/ticket? so a weekend series will cost $105 X 8 weekend series, so not counting mid week games you want season ticket prices to go to $840/ticket?

Which for upper deck is a tripling of season ticket cost. You think people will pay that for baseball tickets? Once you throw in mid week games one season ticket would be over $900
GE
AG
BQ_90 said:

Bullpen Chias said:

wait you want to raise tickets prices on the weekend to $35/ticket? so a weekend series will cost $105 X 8 weekend series, so not counting mid week games you want season ticket prices to go to $840/ticket?

Which for upper deck is a tripling of season ticket cost. You think people will pay that for baseball tickets? Once you throw in mid week games one season ticket would be over $900
Lower deck remains sold out without any opening up basically ever. From a purely business standpoint if you have a product (lower deck tickets) that routinely sells out completely, and you have a monopoly on that product (watching Aggie baseball in the lower deck at Olsen), then you have the opportunity to increase prices until the decrease in quantity sold more than offsets the increase in price.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.