Draft Express - Robert Williams now listed as #5 prospect in 2018 NBA Draft

4,059 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DukeMu
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Williams-89995/

#1 - Luka Doncic (Real Madrid)
#2 - Michael Porter Jr (Presumably Will play for Missouri next season)
#3 - Deandre Ayton (Will play for Arizona next season)
#4 - Mohamed Bamba (Will play for Kentucky next season)
#5 -Robert Williams (Will play for Texas A&M next season)

Article talking about the pros and cons (risks) of Robert Williams decision.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/robert-williams-nba-draft-2017-texas-am-projection-mock-lottery/fmohpmwgtll31ctm3j0zn706e

Quote:

Anyone trying to tell you this was an easy choice to declare is wrong. And yet, there are some very real risk factors that Williams will have to contend with over the course of the next season in order to either help his draft stock or at least keep it constant.

Quote:

The 6-foot-9 pogo stick with a 7-foot-4 wingspan burst onto the NBA Draft scene quickly this season, with his athletic gifts becoming apparent to anyone who saw him play. In that regard, he's different than most players who return to school. Injuries are always a gamble, but his athleticism should allow him to keep NBA scouts interested, even if his skills don't take the next leap forward.

Still, we have many examples of players passing up likely first-round money and ending up with little in the way of guarantees. Just this past season, we can look at a pair of big men who have undeniably hurt themselves and their potential to be selected in the 2017 draft by returning to school. Cal's Ivan Rabb and Indiana's Thomas Bryant would have likely been selected somewhere in the 15-25 range of the 2016 NBA Draft, essentially guaranteeing themselves something in the range of $4 million.

Quote:

As mentioned above, there are reasons to think Williams can avoid that fate due to his athleticism. But this year's SEC Defensive Player of the Year will need to commit to the skill development portion his game in order to get to where he wants to go. There are a few skills scouts will be watching for.

First, his jump shot has potential mechanically to become a weapon, but he did not hit them at a high percentage this past season. Second, he could stand to develop a bit more in the post in order to take advantage of mismatches. Finally, it would help him if he could develop the ability to handle the ball in one- or two-dribble settings in order to attack hard closeouts.

Improve in those areas, and this move will look good for Williams. Falter, and he could see his stock fall. As someone who likes certainty in life, especially if I was faced with a choice that could make me millions of dollars in three months, I can say that I would have gone pro. But these choices are deeply personal ones with factors to weigh on both sides of the coin, and they're easy to question when you're not faced with the decision yourself.

Hopefully for Williams, we'll look back in a year's time and say he was right.

Short summary of author's take seems to be - Wiliams' freak wingspan and athleticism will probably protect his draft stock somewhat barring significant injury (since 6'9" guys with 7'4" wingspans and 40" verticals don't grow on trees apparently), and that if he can show a further developed offensive skill set over the next year then he will probably be in great shape - maybe actually playing out as a top-5 pick in 2018 NBA draft.
bobinator
AG
It's always easy to say where a guy would have been picked without having any way to know for sure.

I posted a while back about how insanely off these guys are even after the midway point of the actual season.
Method Man
This is one of the better ones, too
BQ_90
AG
So he moved up five spots coming back, he needs to come back for junior year then he'll be the number 1 pick
TXAggie2011
AG
Hope it's accurate, but Robert Williams should know best how much that can change well over a year before the draft.
jml2621
Method Man said:

By far.

No doubt, though...Williams will be a high Lotto pick.

In the meantime, WORK to do.
PatAg
AG
Method Man said:

I like it when articles actually take the time to point out some areas to improve, and give suggestions. Even if I were to disagree, they at least put thought into the article.
txag72
AG
This really doesn't mention his body at all when you look at how relatively frail he is compared to the 25 year olds in their prime goliaths in the pros other than to call him a "stick" (albeit a pogo stick). Plus, don't 19 yo's like to have a little fun in life before it all becomes business? The insurance policy should take care of most concerns. Que sera sera.
t - cam
AG
I think the key is the fact that scouts seem to think that his shooting mechanics project to being a good shooter. If he can develop a 3 point shot, which mechanically seems possible, all of the sudden he is the Greek freak.

I love his upside and can't wait to see what version we get of him next year. The rate of improvement his freshman year was great so no reason to expect a true game changing player next year.
TopoTacos
AG
txag72 said:

This really doesn't mention his body at all when you look at how relatively frail he is compared to the 25 year olds in their prime...
I don't think most NBA franchises necessarily expect guys to be anywhere near that level in terms of draft scouting. Brandon Ingram looks like he weighed 130 lbs soaking wet, but he has the potential to build his frame into a "diet Kevin Durant". Williams is similar in this regard, he will be asked to put on some weight regardless of when/where he is drafted.
Pumpkinhead
AG
e.busche said:

txag72 said:

This really doesn't mention his body at all when you look at how relatively frail he is compared to the 25 year olds in their prime...
I don't think most NBA franchises necessarily expect guys to be anywhere near that level in terms of draft scouting. Brandon Ingram looks like he weighed 130 lbs soaking wet, but he has the potential to build his frame into a "diet Kevin Durant". Williams is similar in this regard, he will be asked to put on some weight regardless of when/where he is drafted.
My understanding is that Williams is already at about 235 lbs right now. He isn't really that skinny nor does he need to put on much more weight IMO.
benjamintito
AG
Seek out the service of Olajuwon this offseason and spend several weeks/multiple sessions with him and take all the drills from him into next season. Practice, practice, practice!

The first thing I noticed from Williams in person at the AZ game was his touch on a bank shot. It sounds simple, but it just looked so smooth. That can't be taught. His bounce and frame stick out, but that touch really sold me. I was sitting behind a scout and he perked up a few times. I'm sure he was there initially to see Hogg and AZ players, but came away impressed by Boo.

I wouldn't count on BK scheming anything for him. The playbook was pitiful this year as the number one option was posting up a below the rim center over and over again. Often taking the rest of the team out of rhythm. It works against smaller teams, but not against SEC/Top 50 caliber talent.
GE
AG
benjamintito said:

Seek out the service of Olajuwon this offseason and spend several weeks/multiple sessions with him and take all the drills from him into next season. Practice, practice, practice!

The first thing I noticed from Williams in person at the AZ game was his touch on a bank shot. It sounds simple, but it just looked so smooth. That can't be taught. His bounce and frame stick out, but that touch really sold me. I was sitting behind a scout and he perked up a few times. I'm sure he was there initially to see Hogg and AZ players, but came away impressed by Boo.

I wouldn't count on BK scheming anything for him. The playbook was pitiful this year as the number one option was posting up a below the rim center over and over again. Often taking the rest of the team out of rhythm. It works against smaller teams, but not against SEC/Top 50 caliber talent.
What would your offensively philosophy have been with this roster?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Hopefully anything other than what we did.
t - cam
AG
benjamintito said:

I think he has the ability to develop into more of an athletic wing / power forward. The NBA game is no longer played in the post. If he develops an outside shot that can get defenders to come out on him he should really be able to exploit his athleticism.
wacarnolds
AG
F all this midrange game talk.

Learn to hit the 3 and add a post move or two
t - cam
AG
wacarnolds said:

F all this midrange game talk.

Learn to hit the 3 and add a post move or two
Agreed, the midrange shot is statistically being eliminated from the game.
jml2621
benjamintito said:

EXCELLENT idea. Imagine RW with the Dream Shake!
wacarnolds
AG
bump. a lot of people overestimated his draft status, but he still ended up in a great spot, probably even better than going late in the lottery to an average-ish team
DukeMu
wacarnolds said:

bump. a lot of people overestimated his draft status, but he still ended up in a great spot, probably even better than going late in the lottery to an average-ish team

Can't beat Boston and Stevens. No, really they will be hard to beat. Get fit as a rim protector.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.