How has JJ Caldwell looked in practice this semester?

7,018 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

mdanyc03 said:

I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Does it? I'd hope when we have a junior guard like Gilder, and the front court that we're going to have, that we aren't putting just an incredible amount of pressure on a freshman point guard.

To me if he can defend the perimeter well and just take care of the ball, get us in our sets, and hit shots when he's wide open, then we'll be doing pretty good next season. If we're asking him to do much more than that, then we probably have some issues.

That's not to say he can't do better than that, and if he surpasses those expectations then even better, but we should be REALLY good even without him being anything too special.

Get us in our sets eh?
bobinator
AG
I started to put "get us in our... whatever it is we're trying to do..." but this board has actually been positive the last 24 hours
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Below is pretty much the last public highlights of Caldwell that are available. From a year ago when he won the HSAA Texas State Championship. Not sure how good that competition was however, though Caldwell did basically obliterate everyone in that particular league.

Quote:

One of the most electrifying Guards in the Nation, J.J Caldwell put on a show for the North Texas Crowd. In the Semi-Final game he lead the way with 27Pts, but in his final HS Game he put up an impressive Triple-Double.21Pts,10Ast,10Reb! SATCH Mavericks won the HSAA Texas State Championship. The 5'10" PG will be playing in the loaded SEC Conference for the Texas A&M Aggies next season.

Can't help but think of a shorter Donald Sloan that is a better passer.
OasisMan
AG
hopefully he (caldwell) can be our TJ Ford -- shifty, great distributor, can get to the hole, "ok" shot

both he and TJ Starks look legit
GE
AG
OasisMan said:

hopefully he (caldwell) can be our TJ Ford -- shifty, great distributor, can get to the hole, "ok" shot

both he and TJ Starks look legit
don't forget Jay Jay Chandler. Kid gets overlooked but is legit. Check out short senior highlights here:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jayjay-chandler/jgdlbGQsEeOzMAAmVebBJg/videos.htm

25 points per game, 5 assists per game, 8 rebounds per game, and 3 steals per game.
mdanyc03
AG
Tribe2013 said:

my Shawn Smith/Davonte Fitzgerald comment got deleted. Thin skins here
I know everybody likes to show how real they are with the Shawn Smith and Andrew Young jokes, but just keep in mind that the 'hype' on JJ isn't coming from "program insiders" and Hop and Logan and some guy that saw him play at the rec. It is coming from the national guys like Evan Daniels and Fraschilla and other national guys who saw him play with and against Terrence Ferguson and Fox, etc etc.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Why are you devaluing my eye for talent?
PatAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Below is pretty much the last public highlights of Caldwell that are available. From a year ago when he won the HSAA Texas State Championship. Not sure how good that competition was however, though Caldwell did basically obliterate everyone in that particular league.

Quote:

One of the most electrifying Guards in the Nation, J.J Caldwell put on a show for the North Texas Crowd. In the Semi-Final game he lead the way with 27Pts, but in his final HS Game he put up an impressive Triple-Double.21Pts,10Ast,10Reb! SATCH Mavericks won the HSAA Texas State Championship. The 5'10" PG will be playing in the loaded SEC Conference for the Texas A&M Aggies next season.

The pass he makes on the break at 1:12 is a lot harder than he made it look.
Method Man
I think he will be really good. We are all just jaded because BK has had one Pg he recruited in six years and he was a grad transfer.

Also, those guys are all lemmings for the most part. Why they had Myck Kabongo as a lottery pick.
jml2621
GE said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Quote:

Can't help but think of a shorter Donald Sloan that is a better passer.

If he has 1/2 of Ty Lawson's game, we'll be in pretty good shape.
jml2621
Method Man said:

I think he will be really good. We are all just jaded because BK has had one Pg he recruited in six years and he was a grad transfer.

Also, those guys are all lemmings for the most part. Why they had Myck Kabongo as a lottery pick.

Great handle. Can finish through contact. Can hit outside jumper if needed. Shot still needs work though to be a triple threat.

Surely, not even BK could screw this up.
PatAg
AG
"Hold my non-alcoholic beer" - Billy Kennedy
Hickory High
AG
He's one of the top 5 high school players I've ever seen in person. Way better than Reese, Robinson, and Branch. That being said, he could struggle for a while next year because of how short he is and how undeveloped his shot is.
PatAg
AG
Hickory High said:

He's one of the top 5 high school players I've ever seen in person. Way better than Reese, Robinson, and Branch. That being said, he could struggle for a while next year because of how short he is and how undeveloped his shot is.
and that's where it'd be interesting to know how he has been doing. I thought I remembered reading an article around the New Year saying he was tearing it up. He's had a whole year of nothing but practicing, it's possible he has increased his skill set.
mdanyc03
AG
Deputy Travis Junior
mdanyc03 said:

I don't see his moves working as well at this level, but the passing sure looks good. He seems to have that unteachable court vision that you see in Chris Paul and Manu Ginobili types.

And notice that Williams says they "found him like this," meaning we shouldn't attribute any of his success to Kennedy
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

I don't see his moves working as well at this level,
You mean you don't think he will be able to blow by every guy guarding him like a traffic cone?
ontheway
AG
Yep, has the skill to create his own shot off the dribble, something we didn't have at the1 this year. ( unless Admon was at the 1)
wacarnolds
94chem
Ty Lawson...TJ Ford...Acie Law...those were 3 of the best guards in NCAA history.

Nope, no hype there.
Aston04
AG
Good bump. Hate to say my skepticism was correct. Once again pass first pg is code for can't shoot. Hopefully develops that over time like Caruso.
jml2621
94chem said:

Ty Lawson...TJ Ford...Acie Law...those were 3 of the best guards in NCAA history.

Nope, no hype there.

Magic? Big O? Hurley? Phil Ford? Isaiah Thomas? Cousy? Pistol? Kenny Anderson?

expresswrittenconsent
Weird that the guy who swore Vila was by far our best recruit last year and never mentioned Robert Williams also was leading the Caldwell hype train. Choo-Choo!
Method Man
NIt at best last season in the third year we should've moved on but didn't because of some excuse.
94chem
Jml, you forgot Jason Kidd. You of all people should remember him from the year Duke was playing with house money. I'll also add Jay Williams, but for my money, the forgotten William Avery was just as good.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.