How has JJ Caldwell looked in practice this semester?

7,019 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
123qmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mikeyshooter
AG
Tavario Miller actually has developed some moves and will contribute on the offensive end.
GE
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Tavario Miller actually has developed some moves and will contribute on the offensive end.
Well he actually did. Went from essentially being a black hole to contributing a little bit.
Method Man
Same player imo.
CapCityAg89
AG
On the day we get the best news in years you guys are going to bash a four year guy who has worked hard for this team? Y'all are miserable.
Method Man
We weren't always this way.
bobinator
AG
Method Man said:

I mean... you were...
Isaih Smollett
Tavario Miller is the team's best free throw shooter and Andrew Young will lead the team in rebounding
Method Man
bobinator said:

Method Man said:

I mean... you were...

Probably.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Not really bashing Tavario. He is what he is and we love him for it.

More making fun of those swore he was much improved and expected him to contribute more on offense.
mdanyc03
AG
A lot of you have been following Aggie basketball too long and only conceive jj Caldwell in the context you know; dash Harris, Jamal branch, j Mike Reese, etc.

There were national reporters that watched jj Caldwell at eybl tournaments and said he was the best pg in the country. Better than fox or Dennis smith jr. He was rated lower than those guys because he is only 6'0. But as a college point guard he will be the best we have had since acie law from game one.
JJxvi
AG
Seems wildly optimistic
mdanyc03
AG
JJxvi said:

Seems wildly optimistic

Why?
mdanyc03
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Not really bashing Tavario. He is what he is and we love him for it.

More making fun of those swore he was much improved and expected him to contribute more on offense.

Those were the same threads in which some where debating whether Robert Williams would red shirt or play 10 minutes a game
mikesyracuse1
mdanyc03 said:

A lot of you have been following Aggie basketball too long and only conceive jj Caldwell in the context you know; dash Harris, Jamal branch, j Mike Reese, etc.

There were national reporters that watched jj Caldwell at eybl tournaments and said he was the best pg in the country. Better than fox or Dennis smith jr. He was rated lower than those guys because he is only 6'0. But as a college point guard he will be the best we have had since acie law from game one.

Wow!

Mikesyracuse1
Serious Lee
first time i saw JJs tape i admit Dash was the player that came to mind so i went back and watched some of his old tape and JJ is just better at everything. alot shiftier with better handles and vision than any of those guys but unless he can consistently hit a jumper, im not sure how effective he'll be in the half court.
Ags #1
AG
Widlely optimistic because he has never played 1 minute of college hoops
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Per some of the dudes that have seen him, very, very good, sit back and enjoy a barrage of alley oops to our future top 5 pick in Mister Robert Williams!
Aston04
AG
I'm always skeptical of pass first pgs coming from hs. Really hope he has a reliable outside shot.
wacarnolds
AG
Aston04 said:

I'm always skeptical of pass first pgs coming from hs. Really hope he has a reliable outside shot.

Agree that eventually he needs an outside shot, but pass first pgs tend to work out well when surrounded by 4 talented scorers.
TangoMike
my Shawn Smith/Davonte Fitzgerald comment got deleted. Thin skins here
Method Man
Btw bob I was wildly optimistic in the BCG era. Was super critical of Turgeon until he proved himself. I've been more critical of BK.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Aston04 said:

Agree that eventually he needs an outside shot, but pass first pgs tend to work out well when surrounded by 4 talented scorers.
If you like score first PGs, then T.J. Starks (whom Acie Law had some nice words about after he worked out some with Starks in Dallas) may end up being your cup of tea. He definitely seems like a kid in HS who was thinking shot first, pass second.

I've always assumed Caldwell would be our starting PG, but Starks shouldn't be forgotten. He looks like a kid who is talented enough to get some minutes as a true freshman next season.

bobinator
AG
Method Man said:

Btw bob I was wildly optimistic in the BCG era. Was super critical of Turgeon until he proved himself. I've been more critical of BK.
I was just messing with you. I know you weren't always such a curmudgeon.
bobinator
AG
mdanyc03 said:

JJxvi said:

Seems wildly optimistic
Why?

If he's better than Alex Caruso or Donald Sloan were as upperclassmen right out of the gate I'd be pretty surprised. I know Sloan was better as a two, but he was also a really good point guard when he had to be.

Anyway, what's more important is that he doesn't have to be the best point guard we've had since Law from the get-go, he just needs to be good enough to get the ball to the right people and take care of it.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

If he's better than Alex Caruso or Donald Sloan were as upperclassmen right out of the gate I'd be pretty surprised. I know Sloan was better as a two, but he was also a really good point guard when he had to be.
Yeah, so I meant best as a traditional point guard. I should have been clearer on that point.

Quote:

Anyway, what's more important is that he doesn't have to be the best point guard we've had since Law from the get-go, he just needs to be good enough to get the ball to the right people and take care of it.
I guess that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
mdanyc03
AG
Ags #1 said:

Did you take the same view on De'Aaron Fox and Dennis Smith Jr.?
txag72
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Ags #1 said:

But he's scrimmaged with 4 of the better players in college basketball all year.
bobinator
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Does it? I'd hope when we have a junior guard like Gilder, and the front court that we're going to have, that we aren't putting just an incredible amount of pressure on a freshman point guard.

To me if he can defend the perimeter well and just take care of the ball, get us in our sets, and hit shots when he's wide open, then we'll be doing pretty good next season. If we're asking him to do much more than that, then we probably have some issues.

That's not to say he can't do better than that, and if he surpasses those expectations then even better, but we should be REALLY good even without him being anything too special.
bangobango
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Wow. That's a bold prediction. I hope you're right!
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

mdanyc03 said:

Does it? I'd hope when we have a junior guard like Gilder, and the front court that we're going to have, that we aren't putting just an incredible amount of pressure on a freshman point guard.

To me if he can defend the perimeter well and just take care of the ball, get us in our sets, and hit shots when he's wide open, then we'll be doing pretty good next season. If we're asking him to do much more than that, then we probably have some issues.

That's not to say he can't do better than that, and if he surpasses those expectations then even better, but we should be REALLY good even without him being anything too special.
I was just thinking that if we want our PG to distribute the ball, he's gonna need to have the ability to penetrate the defense and get to the paint and be able to finish when necessary. Part of our problem this year was that we didn't have anybody who could get to the cup on a consistent basis. We asked so much of Admon that by the end of the year, he couldn't do it consistently. <---think Caruso back in 2015 when we reached the NIT.

Caldwell, who kind of red shirted this year, will not be your normal freshman next year simply because he's had more time to gel with the team and a full year with Darby to get ready for the long season.
bobinator
AG
I guess what I'm saying is if he can consistently score off the dribble, that's a great bonus, but he doesn't necessarily have to be able to do that because Admon should be able to do it from the two spot.

As long as your 1-2 (or even 3 if you're a small team) have the combination of being able to hit open threes, distribute the ball, and get to the rim, it doesn't really matter which one does which in my opinion.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Below is pretty much the last public highlights of Caldwell that are available. From a year ago when he won the HSAA Texas State Championship. Not sure how good that competition was however, though Caldwell did basically obliterate everyone in that particular league.

Quote:

One of the most electrifying Guards in the Nation, J.J Caldwell put on a show for the North Texas Crowd. In the Semi-Final game he lead the way with 27Pts, but in his final HS Game he put up an impressive Triple-Double.21Pts,10Ast,10Reb! SATCH Mavericks won the HSAA Texas State Championship. The 5'10" PG will be playing in the loaded SEC Conference for the Texas A&M Aggies next season.

sincereag
Impressive video....We know he's a great distributor and passer of the ball but it appears he can dunk easily and is a decent shooter. What's there to not like about this kid?
OregonAggie
AG
[URL=.html][/URL]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.