WE NEED TO RUN

2,931 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aston04
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enough with pretending we run a real offense. We need to press and run if everyone comes back. Don't argue with me bob!
Mikeyshooter
bobinator
AG
My only concern with pressing all the time is that our most dominant player isn't particularly good at it. Everyone else should be though.

Maybe we start off with a more traditional lineup with Hogg and Davis for the first few minutes and then go change-of-pace with a second group and press the crap out of teams.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

My only concern with pressing all the time is that our most dominant player isn't particularly good at it. Everyone else should be though.

Maybe we start off with a more traditional lineup with Hogg and Davis for the first few minutes and then go change-of-pace with a second group and press the crap out of teams.

Williams isn't good at pressing (and trapping)?

The strength of this team on paper is that they should be able to effective execute several styles of play. They can press and run, and they can be good in the half court, but running and playing a transition game is probably the greatest strength because outside shooting is potentially the one "weakness". If I were thus staff, I'd make sure Hogg is shooting hundreds of 3-pointers and hundreds of FT's a day in the offseason. Hogg needs to be a 40% 3-or shooter and at least a 70% FT shooter to satisfy this "weakness".
mazag08
AG
Method Man said:

Enough with pretending we run a real offense. We need to press and run if everyone comes back. Don't argue with me bob!

Next time, just use Twitter.
bobinator
AG
We both know I'm talking about Tyler Davis. He's still our most dominant player so I'm hesitant to completely go away from his strengths, but like you said, one of our strengths next year is that we should have a lot of options.

Having said that, I'd rather be really good at a couple of things than mediocre at a lot of things. Our half court zone fundamentals absolutely suck so maybe we can toss those out the window now that we have a full roster again.
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

We both know I'm talking about Tyler Davis. He's still our most dominant player so I'm hesitant to completely go away from his strengths, but like you said, one of our strengths next year is that we should have a lot of options.

Having said that, I'd rather be really good at a couple of things than mediocre at a lot of things. Our half court zone fundamentals absolutely suck so maybe we can toss those out the window now that we have a full roster again.

I honestly didn't. By the end of the season the most dominating player was Williams. Davis is good and he is a lot more efficient on offense, but he doesn't create the havoc on defense with the ability to change and reject shots like Williams.
jeffdjohnson
Caldwell needs to spend all summer running pick and roll with Williams crashing the rim. Space the floor with Hogg and Gilder then we might have something. I don't trust Kennedy whatsoever to design an offense to suit the roster but we have some nice pieces. I'm afraid we will continue to play like it is 1993 and dump the ball into the post repeatedly while asking Williams and Davis to create. We weren't just a PG away this year. There were bigger problems in our style of play and roster management. Kennedy must do better or we will underachieve.
bobinator
AG
Williams was probably better by the end of the season, but Davis is still the guy that other teams scheme for most and I'd still consider his presence to dominate the way the game is being played more than Williams'. I guess I worded that wrong

For one, without Davis, the other team's best post defender would be guarding Williams. Part of the reason Williams was open so often for lobs and low post isolations is because Davis was being doubled or defenders were trying to keep track of Davis.

The defensive end is the same story because Davis can guard the other team's best post player which frees Williams up to go flying around as a help defender. Williams is an ELITE help defender, but without Davis he wouldn't be able to come off his man so often.

Because Tyler Davis is so rock solid, it frees up Williams to just go be an athlete in a lot of ways.

Put it this way, other things equal, I think Tyler Davis would be better without Williams than Williams would be without Davis. (right now anyway. If Williams comes back with a consistent mid-range jumper then that changes everything.)
sincereag
I'm hoping for a steady diet of pick and rolls with the lob dunks. Caldwell and Starks need to be working on this all summer.
mazag08
AG
I also hope they are watching all these tournament games and realize that guards are allowed to dribble into the paint. Use your athleticism and the absolute stupidity of defenders to drive by them and force the defense to collapse. Then you can either shoot, pass, or keep driving to create contact.

College offense should be simple. It should be pick and roll first, if covered well or defenders switch, pass it out and attempt high/low. If big does not have good position, set a screen and let the guard drive the lane and make a decision.

Passing around the perimeter for 20 seconds is useless and shows that either the coach doesn't understand how dumb college defenders are or that the players are completely unable to grasp the concept of spacing and creating lanes.
TXAggie2011
AG
BK promised this when he was hired.

He's treated me like we've treated Pat Henry and the outdoor track.

Time to build the track and RUN!
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
I agree, Method Man. I shouted at the TV or the court way too many times when we'd just stand around looking like we needed someone to call a play.
Nino Brown
Well after only 12 years of coaching and playing in college I can tell you that if you have few shooters and no offensive philosophy you have zero choice but to press and run. You can't run grind it out with no shooters and half ass half court defense.
GrayMatter
AG
Not a bad idea. I could see doing it when Davis goes to the bench and Williams goes to the center position.

With the amount of bodies we have coming in, the best style of play would be to go full helter skelter and tire the other team out.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, several NBA teams do this now where they have a second lineup that plays completely differently from the first. Kentucky sort of did this with their platoons a few years back but we aren't quite that deep.
CoachC16
AG
No question in my mind this is a fringe sweet 16 team next year, however I agree with Hop I think we will struggle if we can't consistently hit the 3 ball
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

40 minutes of hell!
mazag08
AG
The_chum said:

No question in my mind this is a fringe sweet 16 team next year, however I agree with Hop I think we will struggle if we can't consistently hit the 3 ball

Big if here.. because our offense has always been roughly the same basic concept, but we have got to get to a point where Hogg only touches to shoot, immediately pass, or to feed the paint. He needs to be primarily a spot up shooter. No more shooting off the dribble unless it's a dire situation. He should be running back cuts and setting screens attempting to get open in a corner ala Josh Carter.

Let Caldwell and Gilder handle the ball.
JayD23
AG
bobinator said:

Williams was probably better by the end of the season, but Davis is still the guy that other teams scheme for most and I'd still consider his presence to dominate the way the game is being played more than Williams'. I guess I worded that wrong

For one, without Davis, the other team's best post defender would be guarding Williams. Part of the reason Williams was open so often for lobs and low post isolations is because Davis was being doubled or defenders were trying to keep track of Davis.

The defensive end is the same story because Davis can guard the other team's best post player which frees Williams up to go flying around as a help defender. Williams is an ELITE help defender, but without Davis he wouldn't be able to come off his man so often.

Because Tyler Davis is so rock solid, it frees up Williams to just go be an athlete in a lot of ways.

Put it this way, other things equal, I think Tyler Davis would be better without Williams than Williams would be without Davis. (right now anyway. If Williams comes back with a consistent mid-range jumper then that changes everything.)

What a sweet day it is to be an Aggie. Debating on which post player is more dominant Davis or Williams. With teams scheming for Davis and Williams having a year experience under his belt, Williams is going to be a monster! Better ball movement with everyone being in their natural position. I'm stoked!
GE
AG
Possible the best front court in the country next season. Going to be a ton of fun watching this team compete against all the other up and coming teams in the SEC.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Beat40
This. I felt that last year Hogg held the ball too long. A Josh Carter type would be perfect.
bobinator
AG
Only problem is that Gilder seemed to be a lot better at that than Hogg was. Gilder has some dimension to his game, but frankly at this point he's a better shooter than Hogg.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
This team has the capability of be great defensively. I think they will find a lot of success if they execute on the defensive side and get out and run in transition. They have the athleticism to let their defense create offense. Kind of how Kentucky played at the beginning of this season. Athletes + Tight D + smooth transition O = winning.
Beat40
I agree with this. I do think Gilder is the better player, especially right now. I just felt last season a lot of the offense was trying to run through Tyler and Hogg. I just wonder if it was run through Tyler, Robert, and Admon if Hogg's shooting would improve if he could just catch and release.
Method Man
Lose the pack defense. Get steals. RUN.
Pumpkinhead
AG
We will almost certainly play a lot less zone than we did this past season, because Kennedy's preference has always been man-to-man.

I expect the defense schemes to revert much more to what we saw in the 2015-2016 season than last season. A bunch of man-to-man with some tactical switching to different types of zones during the game.

We were 9th on Kenpom in adjusted defense efficiency in 2015-2016 which was elite. We then dropped to 52nd nationally this year (which was not a bad defensive ranking but a big drop off from previous year).

Hopefully next year's team can get back close to that 2015-2016 level of defensive performance.
jml2621
Method Man said:

This
jml2621
Method Man said:

jml2621
Padre_Island_Ag said:

jml2621
Beat40 said:

This. I felt that last year Hogg held the ball too long. A Josh Carter type would be perfect.

Out of his comfort zone.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
jml2621 said:

Method Man said:

Aston04
AG
We can run too with Davis. Dude works his a$$ off, when pushed. Transition will give him more opportunities to settle into great position without being doubled like normal. You just have to cut down his minutes just a bit if you do this. We have the depth next year for it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.