Huge Robert Williams News

5,994 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
Kipp Smoove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wojbomb!!!
Method Man
Must've read jml and Hop's posts!
La Bamba
AG
Would be huge for the team if true.
agfan1030
Just saw that...wonder what his source is.
agfan1030
Maybe it is Tavario .....

FBJ and Peter Warden liked
Tavario Miller 8h8 hours ago

It's coming
0 replies 0 retweets 6 likes

wacarnolds
bobinator
AG
Why would he make a decision so quickly? Especially if he's "considered a top 10 pick"?
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

Why would he make a decision so quickly? Especially if he's "considered a top 10 pick"?

Yeah. Something missing in that tweet. Love the news for selfish reasons if it's true though.
sincereag
This is definitely a good sign.
CapCityAg89
AG
Read "widely a considered a top 10 pick by Media analysts and not people who actually make that decision for a living" and it makes more sense.
TopoTacos
AG
Woj Bomb to save the day?!
RoseRichAg01
Swill94
AG
Yeah I think you may be right. Don't get me wrong I see him as a top 15 pick. But I could also see him possibly falling in the mid 20's. I'm also no NBA GM
Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

Because he and his family want him in school another year....which has been mentioned here for several weeks. We just assumed that it was likely the money talk would eventually override the initial feelings of wanting to come back.
jeffdjohnson
He isn't a top 10 pick in this years draft. He is in that next tier of players that could go between 10 - 20. Next years class may have fewer first tier prospects which could bump his range up, say 5 - 15. There is also some downside to coming back. If he doesn't improve he may end up closer to 20 than 5.

Still, someone like Williams is useful in today's NBA whether he improves or not. He is a rim-runner in the pick and roll and shot blocker defensively. In reality his biggest risk is injury. I personally wouldn't risk it, but that is a lucky break for us.
bobinator
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Read "widely a considered a top 10 pick by Media analysts and not people who actually make that decision for a living" and it makes more sense.
I've been saying that for about three months, but Woj isn't a media member trying to pose as a scout or someone who just floats random sources. When he says "considered" I tend to think that means NBA teams are considering it.
PJYoung
AG

bobinator
AG
That still doesn't really answer the question Hop. Even if you 100% intend to come back, I'd think it would still be beneficial to at least go through the combine process before withdrawing. If for no other reason than just to prepare himself for it next year.
CDiem05
AG
Stick him on next year's roster and this team has a chance to mirror the success of 1980, 2007, and 2016.
PJYoung
AG
CDiem05 said:

Stick him on next year's roster and this team has a chance to mirror the success of 1980, 2007, and 2016.

If our point guards come thru like we expect them too. Sure thing.

Hop
Staff
AG
bobinator said:

That still doesn't really answer the question Hop. Even if you 100% intend to come back, I'd think it would still be beneficial to at least go through the combine process before withdrawing. If for no other reason than just to prepare himself for it next year.

Why? So maybe they can spend a year trying to find a weakness in his combine performance? It's the same reason why projected top 10 football players skip the NFL combine except in certain drills where they know they're gonna kill it.
Hop
Staff
AG
PJYoung said:

CDiem05 said:

If our point guards come thru like we expect them too. Sure thing.

Not just point guards...Savion Flagg brings a new ability to attack the basket from the wing. There will be 3-4 players w the ability to break down a defender and collapse a defense...which is good news for Williams and Davis.
bobinator
AG
They're going to do that anyway, but I meant less from the physical aspect and more of the mental. Getting to meet with a bunch of teams, see what types of questions they really ask, that sort of thing.

To be clear, good for us, I just think going through the process would be valuable. But then again I've never done it and don't have any first hand experience so what do I know.
aggiedad55
AG
Great news! Whoop!
Bunk Moreland
bobinator said:

They're going to do that anyway, but I meant less from the physical aspect and more of the mental. Getting to meet with a bunch of teams, see what types of questions they really ask, that sort of thing.

To be clear, good for us, I just think going through the process would be valuable. But then again I've never done it and don't have any first hand experience so what do I know.

Agree completely. Reading the little we have been able to read about RW....it sounds like this is an incredibly sheltered kid from Louisiana and his upbringing, and even if you want to come back and mature/be with friends from a family standpoint, you still go through the entire process imo to grow from that.

Not going to it would be another case of sheltering/protecting him. That's great to do, but if the entire idea of him coming back for a 2nd year is to mature, then whoever is pulling the strings needs to give him some rope and let him grow by himself.

Going through the pre-draft process would be a great thing towards that.
zooguy96
I don't think our success hinges on RW coming back.

Our success depends on:

1. Ability to have a good/decent ball handler / distributor (2016 we had Caruso and Collins and occasionally House who could bring up the ball). This is the second most important need for next year (only player-wise)

2. The ability to drive to the rim. This was the most glaring weakness IMHO this year and most important quality our team needs that we currently don't have. Athletic 6'4" to 6'7" guys. Hopefully, dude out of Alvin fits the mold. We didn't have anyone who could consistently get to the bucket. (2016 House, Jones, AC on occasion - watch the Northern Iowa highlights). We don't currently have anyone on our team currently that does this.

3. The ability to shoot from the outside consistently. Only Gilder filled this role; Hogg was not good and streaky. Hopefully, the guards and dude from Alvin will help out.

What trumps all of this is Kennedy's lack of coaching ability. Our guys don't bring the energy on the defensive end, and seem lost on offense. We won this year in spite of Kennedy because we do have decent talent.
bobinator
AG
This is a weird post. I'd think having a second dominant big man and maybe the best NBA draft prospect in school history would be pretty helpful to our success.

Yeah, obviously we need guards, but dominant posts will make the guards lives a lot easier. We're still going to be an inside-out team next year.
Method Man
Why would you want the best help side defending post player in the country to come back?
bobinator
AG
It was almost an impressive six-degrees-to-Kennedy-bashing though.
JJxvi
AG
If he (and everyone) return. It will be the most talented (when considered in terms of having overall experience as well) team we've ever put out on the floor. So...no excuses.
Leander - Ag
t - cam
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

He isn't a top 10 pick in this years draft. He is in that next tier of players that could go between 10 - 20. Next years class may have fewer first tier prospects which could bump his range up, say 5 - 15. There is also some downside to coming back. If he doesn't improve he may end up closer to 20 than 5.

Still, someone like Williams is useful in today's NBA whether he improves or not. He is a rim-runner in the pick and roll and shot blocker defensively. In reality his biggest risk is injury. I personally wouldn't risk it, but that is a lucky break for us.
I actually think you are wrong. He is probably really close to a top 10 pick right now and with that he is the most likely player on the board to continue to rise.

He is pretty much widely regarded as the best athlete in this draft. That alone used to be worth a top 4 selection. This draft is stacked so top 4 isn't happening but I would not have been surprised to see him settle in around the 9 - 10 range.
t - cam
AG
What's the narrative if we win the SEC again next year?

Does Kennedy still suck?

I don't think he's a good coach but he will have accomplished some pretty cool things in Aggieland.

The situation would feel like Auburn in Football. You are pretty much going to win the conference about every 5 years but in between you will have a bunch of average results. Do you take that?
zooguy96
Who is more important in the NCAA tournament - guards, or bigs?

IMHO, guards /SF's have been the most important in our tournament runs.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
it is 100% guard play. If a big man ever has the ball down low, he will have 2 or 3 guys sag on him forcing him to push it back out. If your guards can't hit outside outs or drive to the bucket, the big men are taken out with the zones they can play in the NCAA.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.