Will Wade VCU to LSU

2,641 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DTP02
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
according to ESPN ticker
TXAggie2011
AG
Saw it's a 6-year deal
miller0926
AG
Dang sucks for VCU
TangoMike
VCU can't catch a break. Richmond is such a **** hole
LSU Baseball Fan
Hell yeah. Looks like Alleva did a somewhat competent hire for once.

Much better resume than the past two coaches we've hired. We'll never be Kentucky, but there's no reason at all LSU can't be like South Carolina and have a successful team. Wade will be a hero if he turns around LSU basketball after years of misery and disappointment.
bobinator
AG
Wade's an interesting pick. VCU has basically been a machine since Capel was there, but Anthony Grant wasn't anything special at Alabama and the jury is still out on Shaka Smart at Texas.

I like Wade, but doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart or anything.

Deputy Travis Junior
Pretty meh hire IMO. He's very young and wasn't at VCU long enough to show much other than that he won't immediately crash a healthy program into a ditch. To be fair, we Aggies can attest that this ability isn't useless (BK's 4-14 1st year record demonstrated that there is definitely value in it), but that's not really the situation at LSU.
LSU Baseball Fan
He's a bit of a risk, but I think he has serious upside. About as good a hire as LSU could realistically expect to make right now, given the pitiful state we're in.

For year one, I just want him to coach good, fundamental basketball and get people excited about LSU basketball again. Making the NIT would be nice, and build from there.
bobinator
AG
Definitely says to me that LSU isn't afraid to take a chance. There were certainly safer picks out there.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Great hire for LSU, assistant recruiting will be key
LSU Baseball Fan
bobinator said:

Definitely says to me that LSU isn't afraid to take a chance. There were certainly safer picks out there.

We're already at rock bottom for a power 5 school, so we might as well take a big risk. If it doesn't work after a few years, try again.

I was expecting Alleva to make a safe, boring, and predictable hire. Glad to be mistaken.

This hire might fail spectacularly, but it's not like we can get any worse.
Double Diamond
This is a very good hire. Go look around at what hoops people are saying. Very well thought of.
bobinator
AG
Double Diamond said:

This is a very good hire. Go look around at what hoops people are saying. Very well thought of.

I don't know that that's a particularly good endorsement to be honest. "Hoops people" always love up and comers.

I like the hire also, hell I posted about Wade a while back on here, but it's still a risky hire. I like it though, don't settle for pretty good when you can take a risk at getting great.
oragator
Pretty decent on paper with a good upside, but the last two "hot" VCU coaches have not been successes so far. Anothony Grant couldn't make it at Bama and Shaka has regressed this year at UT (both with UF ties so I was pulling for them).
I think if Wade doesn't succeed that will be the end of the VCU pipeline.

I will also say that the league is quickly becoming a tough slate of coaches, some big names just aren't going to make it.
Cal (safe of course)
F Martin
White
Barnes
Howland
C Martin
Drew
Fox
Now Wade.

Not really room for all to succeed, there will be some carnage among this group the next few years.

LSU Baseball Fan
I think the SEC has real potential to be a great basketball league, like it once was. Kentucky and recently Florida are blue-bloods that will always be great. South Carolina, Vandy, and Arkansas have been improving. A resurgent LSU and Mizzou could help make this league great again. A&M has real potential with the right leadership, as well.
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

Wade's an interesting pick. VCU has basically been a machine since Capel was there, but Anthony Grant wasn't anything special at Alabama and the jury is still out on Shaka Smart at Texas.

I like Wade, but doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart or anything.

Anthony Grant may end up at Indiana as an assistant coach

Mikesyracuse1
jml2621
Significant upgrade, but difficult to assess how much.

EZ victories in the SEC are getting fewer and fewer.
Pumpkinhead
AG
A better hire IMO than if they had hired Stansbury partly because he was dangling his 2017 WKU recruiting class as bait (which was what the rumors apparently were). More risky going with young up and comer but potentially more long term upside.
DTP02
AG
Anyone will be an upgrade to the worst coach in major D-1 basketball, but while Wade seems a solid choice for an up-and-comer, I was hearing some bigger/better names who would have concerned me a little more if LSU had landed them.

Don't get me wrong, I want the SEC to get stronger, but I already think we are headed that direction with several of the other fairly recent hires and I'd like LSU to be one of the lesser lights.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.