Idea for an awesome non conference tournament

1,279 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bobinator
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was thinking about the Champions classic.. and it kind of annoys me to see teams that haven't won a championship in quite some time play in it (Mich St).

So my idea for improving it would be to take the four most recent champions and the four mid majors who got the farthest in the NCAA tourney the year prior.

Round 1:
Game 1 - This years champion vs 4th best mid major
Game 2 - Villanova vs 3rd best mid major
Game 3 - Duke vs 2nd best mid major
Game 4 - UCONN vs 1st best mid major

Round 2:
Game 1 winner vs Game 4 winner
Game 2 winner vs Game 3 winner

Round 3:
Championship

Three of the 4 previous champions would already know to make their schedule around it. The most recent and the mid majors might have to buy out a game or adjust dates. If an AD thinks his team might be playing he could set up the next year's schedule planning around it.. or put something in the agreement with opponents that states the game could be moved or cancelled due to being in the Champions classic.

What do y'all think?
mazag08
AG
And I guess you could do consolation games to insure that all teams play at least two games.
bobinator
AG
I'd think the only way you could do it is if you have some sort of games exemption for the qualifying teams. That way everyone could go ahead and make their schedules as if they aren't in it, and if they are in it it's like an added bonus.

Maybe have this Champions Tournament the week before the start of the regular season so it doesn't affect any of the involved teams schedules and you're onto something.
JJxvi
AG
I wish there was a tournament for a state of Texas championship.
bobinator
AG
JJxvi said:

I wish there was a tournament for a state of Texas championship.
It would be cool if all the teams in Texas played a big tournament each December. Home sites all the way.

There are 23 Division 1 teams in Texas, so it would be a bit of a weird bracket though.
JJxvi
AG
23? I only count 21, I wonder who I'm missing.

16 teams, something like this with the schools in more major conferences automatically getting in and Southland, SWAC, Sun Belt getting in via qualification or invitation.

1) Texas
2) Texas A&M
3) Texas Tech
4) Baylor
5) TCU
6) Houston
7) SMU
8) North Texas
9) Rice
10) UTEP
11) UTSA
12) Southland Qualifier
13) Southland Qualifier
14) Southland Qualifier
15) Sun Belt Qualifier
16) SWAC Qualifier
mazag08
AG
JJxvi said:

16 teams, something like this with the schools in more major conferences automatically getting in and Southland, SWAC, Sun Belt getting in via qualification or invitation.

1) Texas
2) Texas A&M
3) Texas Tech
4) Baylor
5) TCU
6) Houston
7) SMU
8) North Texas
9) Rice
10) UTEP
11) UTSA
12) Southland Qualifier
13) Southland Qualifier
14) Southland Qualifier
15) Sun Belt Qualifier
16) SWAC Qualifier

That would be cool too.
bobinator
AG
Probably Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian, they're "in transition" to D1 now, but they become full members this summer.

Yeah you could base the SWAC, Southland and Sun Belt invites based on previous year's standings/tournament/etc.

I actually think college basketball would benefit a great deal from breaking up the conference structure and going to something that looks more like european soccer leagues.
MarcAg
AG
One major flaw is you don't have any early season tournaments with teams from same conferences. Conference foes don't want to play each other before conference play. So good idea, but will never happen because of the chances of two conference foes making it.

And most teams already have their tournaments chosen for the following season before the national championship. For example we are playing in the Legends Classic

And what would have happened if you had a repeat champion?

But other than all those, its a great idea.
mazag08
AG
MarcAg said:

One major flaw is you don't have any early season tournaments with teams from same conferences. Conference foes don't want to play each other before conference play. So good idea, but will never happen because of the chances of two conference foes making it.

And most teams already have their tournaments chosen for the following season before the national championship. For example we are playing in the Legends Classic

If two teams from the same conference then you reseed the top 4 so that they wouldn't play until the championship game. If they do.. so what? It's a championship game in a badass tournament and would only help RPI.

If a team repeats or win two in a four year span, then you go back an extra year and grab the last team you need to make 4.

As for scheduling.. the current structure got renewed through 2019. So there would hypothetically be plenty of time to plan.. and line I said, if you think it's a possibility, add some language in your future agreements with schools or buy your way out. You would make tons of money off this tourney anyway.
JJxvi
AG
Of course it will never happen, and even if somebody suggested it there would be plenty of whiny *******s to shoot it down just for being a threat to the status quo or because they cant see beyond the status quo (like thinking about your bull**** conference game against TCU first rather than thinking of winning a real bragging rights tournament), plus whining from Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas probably too once it actually got going. It would be great and possibly a game changer for college basketball in this state, IMO. But yeah, just a dream.
mazag08
AG
JJxvi said:

Of course it will never happen, and even if somebody suggested it there would be plenty of whiny *******s to shoot it down just for being a threat to the status quo or because they cant see beyond the status quo (like thinking about your bull**** conference game against TCU first rather than thinking of winning a real bragging rights tournament), plus whining from Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas probably too once it actually got going. It would be great and possibly a game changer for college basketball in this state, IMO. But yeah, just a dream.

Agreed. It would be followed by no fewer than 10 states within two years no doubt.
bobinator
AG
MarcAg said:

That why I said for this "Champions Tournament" you'd almost have to make it exempt so that it doesn't mess up anyone's scheduling. A few coaches might whine about it, but if it was the season opening event I'd think it would be big enough that I'd think everyone would benefit.
PJYoung
AG
JJxvi said:

1) Texas
2) Texas A&M
3) Texas Tech
4) Baylor
5) TCU
6) Houston
7) SMU
8) North Texas
9) Rice
10) UTEP
11) UTSA
12) Southland Qualifier
13) Southland Qualifier
14) Southland Qualifier
15) Sun Belt Qualifier
16) SWAC Qualifier

UTRGV plays in the WAC
_lefraud_
AG
Set opponents with a set matchups might make more sense, or at least more likely, with maybe four pools:

Pool A:
A&M
Southland

Pool B:
Big 12
Conf USA

Pool C:
Big 12
Sun Belt

Pool D:
American
Southland

Pool A winner/loser vs Pool B winner/loser
Pool C winner/loser vs Pool D winner/loser
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

It would be cool if all the teams in Texas played a big tournament each December. Home sites all the way.

There are 23 Division 1 teams in Texas, so it would be a bit of a weird bracket though.

I don't think you could do a full-fledged tournament, but what I could see, is something like a Texas College Basketball Showcase. The 24 teams (23 D1 teams plus 1 D2 team) are split into 6 pools of 4. Each pool would have teams from different conferences. Three cities (Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio for example) would host 2 pools each. The first pool would play games on Thursday and Saturday and the second pool would play games Friday and Sunday. The winners/losers of the first games play each other in the second games. The Southland has 7 Texas teams, so one pool would have 2 teams from the Southland and play a fixed schedule where the 2 Southland teams play the 2 non-Southland teams to avoid a "conference" game in non-conference.

Example - Pool 1 and Pool 2 play in Houston at Toyota Center
Pool 1 - Thursday: Texas A&M (SEC) vs. Texas Southern (SWAC); Rice (CUSA) vs. Houston Baptist (Southland)
Pool 2 - Friday: Houston (AAC) vs. UTRGV (WAC); Texas A&M-CC (Southland) vs. Prairie View A&M (SWAC)
Pool 1 - Saturday: Texas A&M vs. Rice/Houston Baptist; Texas Southern vs. Rice/Houston Baptist
Pool 2 - Sunday: Houston vs. Texas A&M-CC/Prairie View A&M; UTRGV vs. Texas A&M-CC/Prairie View A&M

I think this would be a nice way to create some in-state excitement and build some rivalries. If Dallas, Houston, and SA hosted, they could utilize their NBA arenas, which would be really nice for the players to be able to play in an NBA arena in an in-state rivalry game. With all of the sports broadcast outlets these days, every game could be televised as well. It would make for an interesting weekend in mid December, and every school would likely have some alumni/student representation in each city.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's a neat idea to think about---a Texas-wide event across the three NBA cities---but I would be afraid you'd just end up with a lot of games in front of empty cavernous stadiums and not many TV eyeballs for most (all) of those games and it would feel like a lot of effort wasted.

(And I don't think San Antonio would be a very viable location for something like that.)
bobinator
AG
Yeah you'd probably have to just do it in Houston and Dallas.

A showcase though is an idea that's been floated for over a decade now, but frankly I'd rather play home and homes.

I don't see why we couldn't do something like this:

Year 1:
Texas
@Baylor
Houston
@SMU

Year 2:
@Texas
Baylor
@Houston
SMU

Repeat until the sun explodes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.