O/U on when staff/Hop tell us how good the SEC was this year

2,653 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Hop
Aggie_Eric98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and that is why A&M struggled, not coaching. You have Kentucky and Florida in the sweet 16, while Arkansas was a bad call away from pushing UNC to the buzzer and S Carolina is giving Duke all they want now.
LawHall88
AG
We are what we are. But maybe the conference was a little underrated?
halfastros81
AG
Top of the conference looking strong. Ags weren't close to the top.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We finished 10th.....

10th.....

We sucked...Our only impressive win was against va tech...Everything else was pitiful

All of which was done with arguably the best front court in school history
Hickory High
AG
Truly baffling how UF and SC were totally unwatchable all year because of their terrible offenses, and yet they show up in the tournament scoring with ease.
AgsNguyen
AG
If the SEC turns out to be a little stronger then previously thought it still wont change the fact that

BK is a below average coach with many holes is his approach
BK should have been fired years ago
This is the most ideal time based on roster talent/age for BK to step aside
BK wont step aside right now
Deputy Travis Junior
There's no question that the conference was substantially improved from last year.

On a related note, the recent hires suggest that the SEC will continue to improve. ADs aren't screwing around with hires like Howland, White, and Avery (even if Avery doesn't ultimately work out, that was a swing for the fences hire, as opposed to a bland, riskless one).
Deputy Travis Junior
Hickory High said:

Truly baffling how UF and SC were totally unwatchable all year because of their terrible offenses, and yet they show up in the tournament scoring with ease.
Kenpom had Florida in at 26 for offensive efficiency.

South Carolina was dreadful; no argument there.
Method Man
Duke sucks at defense
jml2621
halfastros81 said:

...and we didn't even play KY, FL, or USCe twice!
Hickory High
AG
Method Man said:

Duke sucks at defense

Yeah, I kept telling of my buddies who picked Duke to go to the Final Four that they're a terrible defensive rebounding team. Every game of theirs that I watched this season, they got obliterated on the glass.
PatAg
AG
jml2621 said:

halfastros81 said:

We played Kentucky twice
jml2621
Method Man said:

Duke sucks at defense

Zone was a dumb mistake, even with foul trouble. Allen and Kennard's perimeter D was pretty awful.

Not protecting the ball was more of a problem. SC got a lot of semi break buckets and fouls drawn.
jml2621
PatAg said:

jml2621 said:

halfastros81 said:

We played Kentucky twice

Oops. Well, we only showed up ONCE!
Aston04
AG
RG20
Um no, it's coaching.
PatAg
AG
jml2621 said:

PatAg said:

jml2621 said:

halfastros81 said:

We played Kentucky twice

Oops. Well, we only showed up ONCE!
Yea I thought about making that comment, haha. So sad.
Pumpkinhead
AG
South Carolina had not won an NCAA tournament game in 44 years. Now they just got 2 wins in the last 48 hours including over a 2-seed Duke.

What an awesome high that must be for their fans. South Carolina may be the best story in the Sweet Sixteen.

And one of these 4 teams is now guaranteed to be in the Final Four: Baylor, Florida, South Carolina, or Michigan.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

South Carolina had not won an NCAA tournament game in 44 years. Now they just got 2 wins in the last 48 hours including over a 2-seed Duke.

What an awesome high that must be for their fans.

And one of these 4 teams is now guaranteed to be in the Final Four: Baylor, Florida, South Carolina, or Michigan.

It's what makes March Madness. Props to Frank Martin. Someone check all the ERs for hop.
FriscoKid
AG
Why would you taunt him after hours? (For sure I'll take the over)
Pumpkinhead
AG
Thornwell, mcKie, and Duane Notice are all seniors, so I am not convinced that South Carolina won't fall back to missing the NCAAT again next year. It will be very difficult to replace those guys.

But right now is what matters and right now....one of Baylor, Florida, South Carolina, or Michigan is going to Final Four...and the Gamecocks are playing well enough right now to realistically beat any of those teams.

I would love to see South Carolina in Final Four. I hate Baylor, and Florida and Michigan already have had a taste of recent basketball success. Those programs have been there, done that. But South Carolina making Final Four would be a great Cinderella story and I am all-in.
mgmgrand
AG
Wisconsin, not Michigan
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Thornwell, mcKie, and Duane Notice are all seniors, so I am not convinced that South Carolina won't fall back to missing the NCAAT again next year. It will be very difficult to replace those guys.

But right now is what matters and right now....one of Baylor, Florida, South Carolina, or Michigan is going to Final Four...and the Gamecocks are playing well enough right now to realistically beat any of those teams.

I would love to see South Carolina in Final Four. I hate Baylor, and Florida and Michigan already have had a taste of recent basketball success. Those programs have been there, done that. But South Carolina making Final Four would be a great Cinderella story and I am all-in.

When they feel bad, USCe might just be able to look at their Final Four banner in the rafters. Seems like USCe and Michigan are the hottest teams. We'll see.
mikesyracuse1
I've been in Greenville all weekend for the tournament. Very entertaining games and the nightcap was a tale of two halves. 23 pts on the first half and 69 plus in the 2nd half for SC. That region has shaped up nicely for SC.

Mikesyracuse1
greg.w.h
AG
Let's see: UCLA, UKx2, Carolina, Fla, WVU, Zona. Not claiming this is a moral victory, but we played seven against eventual S16 teams this year. In a better year we ought to have won as many as half of those and our team looked pretty good in a couple of the games. Add in games against other NCAA teams--USC, VTech, Arkx2, Vandyx3 (including SECT)--we definitely had a slate of 14 games that could have qualified us for the Dance. Regrettably that led to 1 W and 13 Ls. If half of those losses had been wins we likely would have been in. Even taking into account our other losses.

If we accept this was a rebuild, that is a foundation to keep in mind next year.

Edit: missed Vandy
Pumpkinhead
AG
mgmgrand said:

Wisconsin, not Michigan

Oops, yeah meant Wisconsin.
TangoMike
greg.w.h said:

Let's see: UCLA, UKx2, Carolina, Fla, WVU, Zona. Not claiming this is a moral victory, but we played seven against eventual S16 teams this year. In a better year we ought to have won as many as half of those and our team looked pretty good in a couple of the games. Add in games against other NCAA teams--USC, VTech, Arkx2--we definitely had a slate of 11 games that could have qualified us for the Dance. Regrettably that led to 1 W and 10 Ls. If 5 of those losses had been wins we likely would have been in. Even taking into account our other losses.

If we accept this was a rebuild, that is a foundation to keep in mind next year.

Nice moral victory post. No, I won't keep a 1-10 record in mind as a foundation for any future success

Oh, and Sandhop might explode. He needs to claim the SEC is good, but he decided 5 years ago that Frank Martin would never get to the tournament
coloradoag69
AG
Of the five teams the Ags played twice, three of them were tournament teams: Arkansas, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. We also played USC when they were really playing well at the beginning of the conference schedule and on the road. And we played UF on the road before they lost their big man. Given the current results in the tournament, our overall schedule was pretty strong.

I think the tournament shows again how important guard play is. We had no one who could penetrate and score at the rim or effectively dump off consistently. We also couldn't stop those really quick guards from doing that to us. So we could maximize our strong front court.
chipotle
That explains it: everyone was better than us. I feel better now.
greg.w.h
AG
What I said was only repairing wins with tournament teams would have gotten us in. That's not a moral victory claim. It's a direct spotlight on the fact we had a good enough schedule if we won about 5 more. That's it.

I recognize people who absolutely despise the current situation actually are incapable of any form of logic. So I'll give you a pass.
bobinator
AG
The SEC still wasn't very good, but we always knew Florida and Kentucky were good and that South Carolina and Arkansas could be really good on a given night.

The league is definitely getting better though. It absolutely sucked last year.
mhayden
Playing tournament teams close is not a sign of a program on the cusp of greatness.

I repeat, playing tournament teams close is not a sign of a program on the cusp of greatness.

Go reference Melvin Watkins' 2004 team.
GrayMatter
AG
How nice of the committee to have put SCe in Greenville.
greg.w.h
AG
free_mhayden said:

Playing tournament teams close is not a sign of a program on the cusp of greatness.

I repeat, playing tournament teams close is not a sign of a program on the cusp of greatness.

It isn't. But five or six wins out of 13 that got away could have put us in the tournament. Which is the point I was making.

I think adding personnel (PG, another guard who can drive) should result in--even with BK as HC--a few more wins. The question is whether the loss of the seniors actually put this into a rebuild year. I think without Caldwell it was and it could be remedied with Caldwell and Flagg by themselves. More triangulation of course if we lose three or four.
mhayden
greg.w.h said:

free_mhayden said:

It isn't. But five or six wins out of 13 that got away could have put us in the tournament. Which is the point I was making.

I think we all agree that improvement at point guard (or any position) should improve the team overall... But that's the case for pretty much every team in the nation.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.