Williams needs another year here

6,466 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SACR
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I couldn't cut and paste the chart so it's at this link...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/06/2016-nba-rookie-salaries-contracts-first-round-picks.html
Method Man
I thought he was pushing the lottery much earlier. I'll go by what your saying but I don't see a markedly different player outside of his body and more PT. Maybe I'm missing what you're seeing.
sincereag
Didn't Horford and Joakim Noah come back at Florida to help them win a second national championship? Pretty sure they would have been very high picks had they chosen to come out a year earlier.
Double Diamond
Noah was gonna be first pick after sophomore year and slipped by going back.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

I thought he was pushing the lottery much earlier. I'll go by what your saying but I don't see a markedly different player outside of his body and more PT. Maybe I'm missing what you're seeing.
He was a more productive rebounder in the second half of the season. Through 14 games he averaged 10.4 points and 5.7 rebounds. Full season stats were 11.8 points and 8.1 rebounds. So roughly he averaged over 10 rebounds a game in the second half of the season.
Method Man
The numbers bear that, but When did BK start starting him?
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

The numbers bear that, but When did BK start starting him?
I'd have to look at minutes played per game and it's not that important to me to spend the time. My recollection (which isn't the best at my age) is that he played lesser minutes the first 3-4 games, but by the time they got to Los Angeles, he was getting a lot of minutes even if he technically wasn't starting yet. But I could be wrong.
Method Man
Haha it's not that important to me either as I'm defining development as skill development and you're seemingly defining it as maximizing efficiency or current skills. He gets a ton of rebounds without boxing out, his offense is basically putbacks and alley oops. That is basically the same.

The body transformation is a definite thing I missed on.
TXAggie2011
AG
He played 15, 21, and 23 minutes in Los Angeles.

He averaged 20.7 minutes in the first 14 games, that includes him playing 31 against South Carolina in game 14 which was the first time he played more than 26 minutes in a game.

Method Man, Game 14 against South Carolina was his first start.

He averaged 30.1 minutes in games 15-31.
TXAggie2011
AG
Games 1-14 (20.7 mpg)

10.3 PPG, 61.6 FG%, 63.5 2PT FG%

2.3 ORG, 3.4 DRB, 5.6 TRB, 2.5 BPG

Games 15-31 (30.1 mpg)

13.1 PPG, 52.3 FG%, 55.9% 2PT FG%

3.6 ORG, 6.5 DRG, 10.2 TRG, 2.4 BPG
TXAggie2011
AG
Rebounds went up.

Offense went down.

Blocks went down.

Y'all can argue about competition and all that but there's the stats.
Method Man
Statistically elston turned improved the most in BK era I think
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

Haha it's not that important to me either as I'm defining development as skill development and you're seemingly defining it as maximizing efficiency or current skills. He gets a ton of rebounds without boxing out, his offense is basically putbacks and alley oops. That is basically the same.

I don't think it's fair to say all he did late in the year was dunk and make putbacks. He started posting up on the offensive end and making some moves with a baby hook. He took some mid-range shots, and made the shorter ones with decent success. I thought he did improve his play on the offensive end with a larger repertoire. In the UK game, he even drove the baseline from the 3-point line and made the layup. I'm not saying it was dramatic, but then again what kind of sills development ae you looking for during the season when you are playing and preparing for two games a week. Skills development usually occurs in the offseason and preseason.
Method Man
TombstoneTex
AG
RThorp said:

Does the fact that he has not declared yet mean anything? i.e. a good sign?
I guess so!
mcag83
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

StanGundy said:

Name some certain lottery picks who came back Hickory.

Blake Griffin!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Griffin

Said that he returned to the Sooners in 2008 for his sophomore season despite being a certain lottery pick to 'further mature physically and try to win an NCAA championship'.

He kicked major ass his sophomore season sweeping all the major national college Player of the Year awards. Was then the #1 pick in 2009 NBA draft.

And Griffin's S&C coach at Oklahoma was.....current A&M S&C coach Darby Rich......hmmmmm....I'm feeling it! Deja Vu Baby!

Deja Vu Baby!
PatAg
AG
Hop said:

Method Man said:

I don't think it's fair to say all he did late in the year was dunk and make putbacks. He started posting up on the offensive end and making some moves with a baby hook. He took some mid-range shots, and made the shorter ones with decent success. I thought he did improve his play on the offensive end with a larger repertoire. In the UK game, he even drove the baseline from the 3-point line and made the layup. I'm not saying it was dramatic, but then again what kind of sills development ae you looking for during the season when you are playing and preparing for two games a week. Skills development usually occurs in the offseason and preseason.
He has some decent footwork in the post, but he needs to work BIG TIME on what he does once he goes up if he isn't dunking. Needs to work on finishing with one hand, both ways, from multiple angles..and both he and Davis could use that mid range jumper that Duncan had..and aggie related both AK and JJ had.
JJxvi
AG
Per 40 minutes, freshman seasons

Griffin
PTS: 20.7
REB: 12.8
BLK: 1.2
AST: 2.6
STL: 1.4
TOV: 3.2
FG%: .568
3P%: .000
FT%: .589

Williams
PTS: 18.3
REB: 12.6
BLK: 3.8
AST: 3.3
STL: 1.0
TOV: 4.0
FG%: .556
3P%: .111
FT%: .590
Pumpkinhead
AG
JJxvi said:

Griffin

Williams
Deja Vu Baby!
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

JJxvi said:

Griffin

Williams
Deja Vu Baby!

I see one glaring difference.
PatAg
AG
Very very good for a freshman, my take was more on what he'd need to do for NBA purposes
t - cam
AG
AWP 97 said:

The class of Aggies I went to school with demanded excellence. We no longer do that in our athletic department. I'm not sure how I can help, but let me know. I'm glad to fire 20-40 people if you need me to.
Sorry I just have to point this out.

What sort of excellence did you guys demand in 97?
No championships in either baseball, football, or basketball during your pressure packed rein.
SACR
AG
t - cam said:

AWP 97 said:

The class of Aggies I went to school with demanded excellence. We no longer do that in our athletic department. I'm not sure how I can help, but let me know. I'm glad to fire 20-40 people if you need me to.
Sorry I just have to point this out.

What sort of excellence did you guys demand in 97?
No championships in either baseball, football, or basketball during your pressure packed rein.
'97 football team won the Big 12 South division championship

It counts!!!

If he is FTACO97, he would have seen '93 SWC champs and '94 undefeated team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.