Pat Forde: Washington gives Romar another year; Mark Fox's future is in doubt

3,784 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TangoMike
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coaching-carousel-washington-to-retain-lorenzo-romar-thad-matta-to-return-at-ohio-state-032351523.html

Romar will surive despite a 2-16 conference record in Pac12 this season and a 6th straight year missing NCAA. Looks like the Porter family won't be going on the open market.

Quote:

At Washington, Romar will be retained for a 16th season, despite losing 21 games this year and barring a miracle Pac-12 tournament championship failing to make the NCAA tournament for the sixth straight year. Romar has signed the No. 1 player in the class of 2017, Michael Porter Jr., and although past recruiting coups have not resulted in great on-court success, the school is unwilling to pay his $3.5 million buyout. Romar is well-liked at Washington, which also has helped his cause.

Also a comment about Mark Fox at Georgia

Quote:

Georgia is exploring its options to replace Mark Fox, according to sources. Fox has not been fired, but the school is gathering information on potential successors. Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity refuted that Fox's job was in danger Tuesday morning.
Method Man
Romar should leave to Mizzou anyways and get four guaranteed years.
TheMarksMen
AG
Wow didn't realize it's been 6 years since UW made the tourney...there's been some talent to come out of there
Pumpkinhead
AG
Some comments about Mizzou's coaching search was also mentioned. Seems like keep an eye on either Tom Crean (if he wants to get out of Indiana while the getting is good) or Cuonzo Martin.

Quote:

Among currently open jobs, Missouri is vetting candidates and California's Cuonzo Martin almost certainly will be one of them. Martin is prepared to leave Cal after two seasons and return to the Midwest, but could also be a candidate at Illinois if that job opens. Other possibilities at Missouri could include North Carolina-Wilmington's Kevin Keatts, and if Tom Crean wishes to leave Indiana he could be an attractive candidate for the Tigers.

Elijah Thomas could be looking at a new coach at Clemson.

Quote:

Crean's future is unclear at this point, as is the situation at Clemson, where Brad Brownell is finishing his seventh season and hasn't been to the NCAA tourney since his initial year. This year's Clemson team is on the wrong side of the bubble entering the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament, after a succession of agonizing losses.

Method Man
TheMarksMen said:

Wow didn't realize it's been 6 years since UW made the tourney...there's been some talent to come out of there

That's the AD we hired. This dude won't fire anyone.
TangoMike
Method Man said:

TheMarksMen said:

Under Woodward's reign, UW won a grand total of 3 Pac-12 championships. In all sports. Combined.
old yeller
AG
Method Man said:

TheMarksMen said:

In his defense, Romar seems like a really good guy.
_lefraud_
AG
And Romar has been such a hot coaching commodity for the past 10 years...I'm sure UW is stoked they locked him up so no one would still him away.
mhayden
To be fair regarding Woodward/Romar:

Romar was hired and had great success under previous ADs.

The AD before Woodward gave him an extension that went through his (Woodwards) tenure at Washington.

Basically Woodward doens't deserve any credit for the good Romar did, but he also doesn't deserve any blame for him being allowed to hang around -- neither were really his decisions.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So, is the Clemson HC coaching for his job vs. Duke today at 2:30 pm Eastern?
wacarnolds
AG
free_mhayden said:

The AD before Woodward gave him an extension that went through his (Woodwards) tenure at Washington.

Basically Woodward doens't deserve any credit for the good Romar did, but he also doesn't deserve any blame for him being allowed to hang around -- neither were really his decisions.

January 2008 - Washington forces out old AD, hires Scott Woodward as athletic director

April 2010 - Lorenzo Romar receives 10-year contract extension

March 2017 - Woodward had nothing to do with that extension, it was the previous AD who was fired 2 years before Romar received the extension
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

So, is the Clemson HC coaching for his job vs. Duke today at 2:30 pm Eastern?
He shouldn't be, he should be fired no matter what happens now. Dude is bad.

Cuonzo Martin is an interesting coach. He seems to do just good enough that other schools consider hiring him but not good enough that the fans of the school he coaches at particularly love him.
Method Man
old yeller said:

Method Man said:

TheMarksMen said:

In his defense, Romar seems like a really good guy.
mhayden
wacarnolds said:

free_mhayden said:

January 2008 - Washington forces out old AD, hires Scott Woodward as athletic director

March 2017 - Woodward had nothing to do with that extension, it was the previous AD who was fired 2 years before Romar received the extension

I may have misread, but from what i saw, Romar received a contract extension through 2015-2016 from previous AD Todd Turner in 2007.

Woodward extended it in 2010 from '16 to '20.

Keep in mind in 2010 they were coming off of their 3rd Sweet 16 in 6 years under Romar... So agreeing to a deal through 2020 was a justifiable proactive move to keep a very successful coach around.
TXAggie2011
AG
Not much of a comment on Woodward's general abilities, just this particular instance, but I think you can debate the wisdom and "justifiable-ness" of a 4-year extension made 6 years ahead of time and having the effect of locking a coach down for a total of 10 more years.

Maybe Romar really had Washington wrapped around his little finger and actually was thinking about leaving without the extension...

...but I would be pretty darn against that kind of extension unless he was one of the all-time greats.

I'm sure Washington was on cloud 9 at the time, but man, I'd be real tempted to say fine, leave for somewhere else if 6 years ain't good enough for you, we're not making that kind of commitment.

Easier said than done with all the emotion and politics, I know. But as the AD, your supposed to be able to take the emotion out of it.
wacarnolds
AG
free_mhayden said:

wacarnolds said:

free_mhayden said:

I may have misread, but from what i saw, Romar received a contract extension through 2015-2016 from previous AD Todd Turner in 2007.

Woodward extended it in 2010 from '16 to '20.

Keep in mind in 2010 they were coming off of their 3rd Sweet 16 in 6 years under Romar... So agreeing to a deal through 2020 was a justifiable proactive move to keep a very successful coach around.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-huskies/washingtons-lorenzo-romar-agrees-to-10-year-contract-extension-husky-basketball/

Lorenzo Romar, who wants to finish his coaching career at Washington, agreed to a 10-year contract extension that will keep him with the Huskies men's basketball team until 2020.

His new deal will pay him $1.7 million per year, not including bonuses.

The contract exceeds the extension Romar, 51, signed in 2007 that guaranteed $1.3 million a year, not including incentives.

Athletic director Scott Woodward said contract talks between Romar and Washington took minutes to complete, and he described the agreement as "pretty straightforward."

"He said, 'I want to be here and I want to end my career here,' " Woodward said of Romar. "He said, 'I don't want to be coaching when I'm well into my 60s, and this might be my final contract,' and I said, 'Let's get it done.' So we decided to get a deal done."
wacarnolds
AG
Minutes spent negotiating. Coach wants to finish career here.

Probably identical to the ridiculous contract extension Woodward gave Kennedy.
Method Man
wacarnolds said:

Another awesome AD hire.
TangoMike
wacarnolds said:

I laughed.

and then I cried
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Woodward contract negotiation formula:

Good guy + recruits well + wants to finish career at school = very generous extension
mhayden
TXAggie2011 said:

Not much of a comment on Woodward's general abilities, just this particular instance, but I think you can debate the wisdom and "justifiable-ness" of a 4-year extension made 6 years ahead of time and having the effect of locking a coach down for a total of 10 more years.

Maybe Romar really had Washington wrapped around his little finger and actually was thinking about leaving without the extension...

...but I would be pretty darn against that kind of extension unless he was one of the all-time greats.

I'm sure Washington was on cloud 9 at the time, but man, I'd be real tempted to say fine, leave for somewhere else if 6 years ain't good enough for you, we're not making that kind of commitment.

Easier said than done with all the emotion and politics, I know. But as the AD, your supposed to be able to take the emotion out of it.

I think that's easy to say now. But in 2010 Lorenzo Romar was getting interest from a whole lot of places, and was/is by the most successful coach in Washington basketball's 100+ year history.

As with most contracts, it probably depends on what the buyout situation is/was.

For comparison, I'd say it would be like us offering BCG a 7-year deal after the Sweet 16 loss... Possibly over-committing, but doing so with good reason.
EKUAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Good guy + recruits well + wants to finish career at school = very generous extension

Michael Porter is going to UW next year. He's a 6' 9" small forward who can play the 1 through 4. If they have anyone else to go with that they will improve greatly. Michael is a great kid too. Lived near us before they moved to Missouri.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Article on keeping Romar. Author seems to say there are 100 reasons to fire him and his own gut says fire him, but yet thinks keeping him was the right call. Read for yourself to follow the logic.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/keeping-lorenzo-romar-is-right-call-despite-huskies-embarrassing-season/

Pumpkinhead
AG
EKUAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Michael Porter is going to UW next year. He's a 6' 9" small forward who can play the 1 through 4. If they have anyone else to go with that they will improve greatly. Michael is a great kid too. Lived near us before they moved to Missouri.
They just went 2-16 in the Pac 12 with a guy who is projected to potentially be the #1 NBA Draft Pick in a few months. The Porter & friends recruiting class is definitely awesome though. That plus the buyout presumably saved his butt.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

They just went 2-16 in the Pac 12 with a guy who is projected to potentially be the #1 NBA Draft Pick in a few months.
To be fair, that 2-16 was in the worst P5 conference in the nation, so there's reason for optimism
TheChameleon
AG
I think the real question is how Washington keeps managing to land elite recruits when their program is posting 2-16 records in Pac-12 play and missing the NCAA tournament year after year. Not saying there's anything shady going on but yeah I wouldn't be shocked if there was something shady going on
wacarnolds
AG
TheChameleon said:

I think the real question is how Washington keeps managing to land elite recruits when their program is posting 2-16 records in Pac-12 play and missing the NCAA tournament year after year. Not saying there's anything shady going on but yeah I wouldn't be shocked if there was something shady going on

They landed Porter because Romar hired his dad. And they were the first to recruit Fultz.

Having said that, bags of cash never go out of style.
jml2621
free_mhayden said:

Correct.
TangoMike
jml2621 said:

free_mhayden said:

Correct.
That's already been proven incorrect, in this very thread
mhayden
Even then, what you're seeing with Romar is pretty much the standard of what happens with incredibly successful coaches who are no longer incredibly successful... They've earned enough leeway from their school to hang around 4-5 years without producing
EKUAg
AG
UW fired Romar yesterday. Looks like Michael Porter Jr will reopen his recruitment. Sounds like Dad will end up on Cuanzo Martin's staff at Mizzou.
wacarnolds
AG
EKUAg said:

UW fired Romar yesterday. Looks like Michael Porter Jr will reopen his recruitment. Sounds like Dad will end up on Cuanzo Martin's staff at Mizzou.

Pretty much nailed it.

Some bonus mad from a hack newspaper guy in Seattle

Quote:

Happy trails, Michael. You're the best basketball player in the history of the world, a genuine miracle-worker. But when a marching band didn't appear at your front door, and the coach didn't genuflect to you on the porch, you realized the University of Washington was ready to move on.

Hang in there, Anointed One. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

GatorAg03
AG
Wow, between the 10 year extension to Romar and the idiotic Kennedy extension, I have about zero confidence in Woodards judgement going forward. So disappointing.
TangoMike
GatorAg03 said:

Wow, between the 10 year extension to Romar and the idiotic Kennedy extension, I have about zero confidence in Woodards judgement going forward. So disappointing.
Don't just focus on these two contracts, look at how UW performed under his watch. Their whole athletic department was garbage
bobinator
AG
I think we need to vote and decide if we're blaming the AD for everything bad that happens or if we're going with him being a powerless puppet of the BMAs and blaming them for everything. Can't be both right?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.