UIL State Tournament (Jay Jay Chandler & TJ Starks)

4,269 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fightinags2013
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bero88 said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Arguably the best high school team of all time.
Dallas Lincoln with Chris Bosh was pretty damn good.
That Lincoln team was awesome. Fort Worth Dunbar with Jeremis Smith was in my district and royally handed it to us a couple of times that year so I went down there to see them take on that Lincoln team and Kendrick Perkins from Beaumont Ozen. Pretty killer final 4 that year.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Somewhat related but if anyone has 2 good seats for the UIL State tournament next weekend let me know. Will pay over face.

Username@gmail
WGann3
AG
Also that team from The Colony that had Deron Williams and Bracey Wright on it not winning state is mind blowing to me. 1st and 2nd round pick on the same high school team and I'm pretty sure they didn't get past the final 8.
Belton Ag
AG
WGann3 said:

bero88 said:

Aggie09Derek said:

Arguably the best high school team of all time.
Dallas Lincoln with Chris Bosh was pretty damn good.
That Lincoln team was awesome. Fort Worth Dunbar with Jeremis Smith was in my district and royally handed it to us a couple of times that year so I went down there to see them take on that Lincoln team and Kendrick Perkins from Beaumont Ozen. Pretty killer final 4 that year.
If my memory is correct, I can remember DMN All-Area team from 2005 or 2004 that featured Chris Bosh, Lamarcus Aldridge, and Deron Williams. That's a hell of a nice group.
bero88
Acie Law was part of an historic championship game at the drum. I was watching it live and didn't speak for 10 minutes. Probably the craziest buzzer beater I have ever seen.
bobinator
AG
bero88 said:

American Airlines in Dallas would be the next best option IMO.

That is where the UIL would like to have it, but Cuban said he can't give up back to back weekends of no home games.
I don't like the idea of it being in Dallas every year. Austin is perfect since it's kind of in the middle of the state but SXSW made it impossible. San Antonio is decent neutral ground since the S.A. teams usually aren't all that good.

If it was going to be in Dallas, it would have to rotate between Dallas and Houston in my opinion. Though a set rotation of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio would be kind of cool also.
bobinator
AG
bero88 said:

Acie Law was part of an historic championship game at the drum. I was watching it live and didn't speak for 10 minutes. Probably the craziest buzzer beater I have ever seen.
The John Jay buzzer beater was obviously a classic also.

Ashawn Robinson being booed off the court for being a little ***** was pretty awesome.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've been 6-7 years and last years was the worst in terms of quality of teams/play. Hopefully this year is better.
bero88
bobinator said:

bero88 said:

American Airlines in Dallas would be the next best option IMO.

That is where the UIL would like to have it, but Cuban said he can't give up back to back weekends of no home games.
I don't like the idea of it being in Dallas every year. Austin is perfect since it's kind of in the middle of the state but SXSW made it impossible. San Antonio is decent neutral ground since the S.A. teams usually aren't all that good.

If it was going to be in Dallas, it would have to rotate between Dallas and Houston in my opinion. Though a set rotation of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio would be kind of cool also.
Austin is the perfect place. I loved it there. But you are right, SXSW ruined it.

UIL will never host another championship in the armpit of Texas. Houston ruined their chances 2 years agoo when they hosted the football championships.

The main reason I would like Dallas is bc the game is played in an actual arena. I hate the atmosphere in San Antonio. Sitting on the floor sucks, you can'y see anything. I do like the abundance of hotels, restaurants, and the river walk.
bobinator
AG
Frankly, College Station wouldn't be an awful place to have it. The arena is big enough these days (at least the last several years I went in Austin it wasn't even close to sold out) and it's almost always during spring break so there's not many folks around.
bero88
bobinator said:

Frankly, College Station wouldn't be an awful place to have it. The arena is big enough these days (at least the last several years I went in Austin it wasn't even close to sold out) and it's almost always during spring break so there's not many folks around.
The committee talked about college station and Waco. The biggest problem they had was hotels.
Aggie09Derek
AG
There would be plenty of of hotel rooms during that time.

Definitely not as good of a tourist town as Austin or San Antonio though. Those towns offer tons of stuff to walk to between sessions where as there is next to nothing a short walk from Reed.
bero88
Aggie09Derek said:

Not for 24 teams, coaches, and fans for 4 days.
bero88
Aggie09Derek said:

Definitely not as good of a tourist town as Austin or San Antonio though. Those towns offer tons of stuff to walk to between sessions where as there is next to nothing a short walk from Reed.
Unless you are counting the hotels in Bryan.

I would just walk to North Gate in between games. But yes, the downtime in between sessions would probably suck in cstat.
Aggie09Derek
AG
There have been tons of hotels added the last few years.

Lots of Austin/Houston teams fans would just come in for the day as well.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Obviously counting hotels in Bryan.

5000 plus hotel rooms in BCS.
WGann3
AG
bobinator said:

bero88 said:

The John Jay buzzer beater was obviously a classic also.

Ashawn Robinson being booed off the court for being a little ***** was pretty awesome.
Haha Ashawn went to my alma mater. Pretty nimble with the rock for an OLineman.
bobinator
AG
There wasn't really much to walk to in between sessions in Austin either except for Sholz which isn't much closer than Northgate would be to Reed. They could even bring some food trucks out to Reed or something.

And there are more hotels going up here all the time, I'd think it would be feasible.

I remember them considering it, it would be awesome if it happened.

bobinator
AG
Oh he was definitely good, no question, but for whatever in that game he was being a punk.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Decent amount of restaurants/bars within walking distance from the drum. I used to go a good amount and we would always walk to something....and yes Sholz was a hoppin spot.
bero88
Aggie09Derek said:

Decent amount of restaurants/bars within walking distance from the drum. I used to go a good amount and we would always walk to something....and yes Sholz was a hoppin spot.
That's the number one thing I miss the most about it being at the Drum. No Shutlz's in SA.
bobinator
AG
There are other places within walking distance, but not really within walking distance between sessions. There was basically Sholz, those dudes with the BBQ trailer (best boudin I've ever had) or one year they had a couple food trucks out there
Aggie09Derek
AG
Plenty of places down towards 6th (only 10 blocks) - plenty of people bounce a little early and get back a little late for all sessions as well. We used to walk to Texas Chili parlor as well sometimes between sessions for a meal.
bero88
Aggie09Derek said:

Plenty of places down towards 6th (only 10 blocks) - plenty of people bounce a little early and get back a little late for all sessions as well. We used to walk to Texas Chili parlor as well sometimes between sessions for a meal.

I never made it to the 8:30 am sessions. Always too hungover.
bobinator
AG
At that point you're looking at about the same distance to Northgate though. That was my point is that there wasn't much right by the drum either except for Sholz. You can walk from Reed to Northgate in the same amount of time you could walk from the Erwin Center to about 8th or lower.
bero88
bobinator said:

At that point you're looking at about the same distance to Northgate though. That was my point is that there wasn't much right by the drum either except for Sholz. You can walk from Reed to Northgate in the same amount of time you could walk from the Erwin Center to about 8th or lower.
In regards to walking distance and things to do SA has everyone beat by a long shot.

There is a few restaurants just down the road from the drum, but nothing like SA.
fightinags2013
AG
Went to see Marcus Garrett from Dallas Skyline tonight. Committed to KU. He reminds me of a more athletic Shaun Livingston with better handles.

Also I would love to see the Aggies at least take a look at Skyline junior guard Jase Towwnsend. Kid seems criminally underrated by the recruiting services and I would be shocked if he didn't pick up more offers if he keeps having games like he did tonight.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.