UIL State Tournament (Jay Jay Chandler & TJ Starks)

4,267 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fightinags2013
fightinags2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jay Jay's Cinco Ranch team plays tonight vs Bellaire. Will anyone be there to report on how Jay Jay does?

TJ's Lancaster team plays tonight vs Woodrow Wilson in Forney. I'll be there tonight to watch Starks play, and i'll post about it here later. While I don't follow super closely, I think Lancaster has been a bit of a disappointment this year, but with a player like Starks, they could still make some noise.

It appears Savion Flagg's Alvin team did not make the playoffs with a 5-9 record in district play. That is pretty disappointing, but at least Flagg put up monster numbers (30pts/6a/11.6rb per game).

After tonight's games, most of the weaker teams will be eliminated, so if you get the chance to get out to some games next week, make sure you take it. The regional tournaments are usually really fun.
bobinator
AG
I'm going to be in Austin at SXSW this year so I'm sad they moved the championships down to San Antonio
fightinags2013
AG
Yeah i'm hoping that SA won't be the permanent home for the championship round. I went a few times when it was in Austin and had a blast. Watching Willie Warren from North Crowley was one memorable moment. The other was watching Houston Yates when they had Joseph Young and a few other D1 guys. They were unbelievable.

I'll be driving to South Padre with a group from Dallas the day of the finals. So it will be quite painful to drive through SA and not be able to see any of the games.
bobinator
AG
San Antonio is the next best option if they can't do Austin, but it won't be the same.

The year the Harrison Twins went up against Smart's Marcus team was pretty awesome.
Method Man
Who would've thought Hogg's last clutch shot would've come in the HS playoffs!?
Basketball and Chain
AG
Method Man said:

Cold blooded
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Don't be a dick. He has made very clutch shots since then
fightinags2013
AG
Lancaster up 14-10 at the end of one. TJ has 10. Would have 13 if he hadn't traveled while stepping into a 3.
Method Man
He's made clutch shots. Sorry. He's missed about four game winners and missed the FTs to seal the game against Va Tech. He did make all the stud shots to get us the win in that game.
fightinags2013
AG
TJ with 13. He stayed aggressive, but the offense went away from him some there in the second quarter. He made several aggressive drives to the basket, and showed off some great handles.

Lancaster up 29-20 at half.
fightinags2013
AG
38-33 Lancaster end of 3. TJ is up to 19. Scored a nice transition bucket. Kid can play. Looks to be much more of a natural 2 guard, but his size will force him to play a little PG at A&M.

DRILLED a 3 with a dude in his face to start the fourth.
TxAg76
AG
Stanley Bonawitz
Juwan McClellan

Two of the best tourney performances I've seen in all my years going. Willie Warren's was pretty good though.

Port Arthur Lincoln way back in the day.....wow.

South Oak Cliff had a fun run too, not that long ago, Darrel Arthur and co.

And yeah, Yates had some incredibly entertaining games
fightinags2013
AG
Lancaster advances to play Mansfield. TJ with 27
Aggie09Derek
AG
Cinco Ranch beat Bellaire in OT - Jay Jay had a solid game, had to play with 4 fouls all 4th quarter and OT which hampered him some.

Billy Kennedy was in attendance.
dog
AG
TxAg76 said:

Stanley Bonawitz
Juwan McClellan

Two of the best tourney performances I've seen in all my years going. Willie Warren's was pretty good though.

Went to the state tournament 17 straight years, '94-'10, and Bonawitz in '95 put on the greatest performance of any player I saw. His performance was BY FAR the best....BY FAR!!
86 Tex Ag
AG
Best player in the Bellaire v Cinco Ranch game was Maxwell Evans.
TXM Pride
Willowridge in the early 2000s put on a show.. TJ Ford could ball.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Arguably the best high school team of all time.
Belton Ag
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

I'd put my vote in for Dunbar High School in Baltimore 1982-1983. That one team featured Muggsy Bogues, Reggie Lewis, Reggie Williams and David Wingate. That's 3 future NBA first round picks and one second round pick on one high school team.
Method Man
Aggie09Derek said:

Beat Bryan High by one
bero88
American Airlines in Dallas would be the next best option IMO.

That is where the UIL would like to have it, but Cuban said he can't give up back to back weekends of no home games.
bero88
Aggie09Derek said:

Dallas Lincoln with Chris Bosh was pretty damn good.
bero88
Canadian has a kid who could win his 5th state championship next week. He has won 3 in basketball and 2 in football. Kid is a stud.
bero88
TxAg76 said:

Stanley Bonawitz
Juwan McClellan

Don't forget about Snook!
Aggie09Derek
AG
Agree. Another one of the best public school teams ever.

Some of those South Oak Cliff teams were pretty dirty as well. Seems like with so many kids going to these one off private schools we may not see teams that good again for awhile.
hoya-ag
AG
Yep,. Played against them three times in HS, and Bosh wasn't even the best player on that team.
bobinator
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Agree. Another one of the best public school teams ever.

Some of those South Oak Cliff teams were pretty dirty as well. Seems like with so many kids going to these one off private schools we may not see teams that good again for awhile.
From a prospects standpoint the Plano East team looked pretty elite. Maybe not an all-time great team but having three high major prospects (Mitchell, Hogg, Davis) in the same group is rare.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Plano West. Tons of talent but didn't seem as dominant as some of the ones in the past. Great team who won state though for sure.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Lebron's HS team was obviously great...because it had LeBron on it. I remember his senior season they were playing teams all over the country with the games on pay per view.
bero88
Pumpkinhead said:

Lebron's HS team was obviously great...because it had LeBron on it. I remember his senior season they were playing teams all over the country with the games on pay per view.
You can't compare Lebron's HS team to the UIL teams competing in the State Tournament.
Belton Ag
AG
Last year's Chino Hills HS squad from Cali may rank up there when it's all said and done. That team had the 3 Ball brothers, who will probably all wind up playing in the NBA.
bero88
Belton Ag said:

Last year's Chino Hills HS squad from Cali may rank up there when it's all said and done. That team had the 3 Ball brothers, who will probably all wind up playing in the NBA.
I am already tired of the ball brothers.
Belton Ag
AG
bero88 said:

Belton Ag said:

Me too, and their wack job dad. But it doesn't take away from how talented they are.
bero88
Belton Ag said:

bero88 said:

Belton Ag said:

Me too, and their wack job dad. But it doesn't take away from how talented they are.
The oldest one is really good. He has an ugly shot but he is good. The kid that scored 92 the other day doesn't impress me at all.I would love to see what he could do against an above average defender.
Belton Ag
AG
bero88 said:

Belton Ag said:

bero88 said:

Belton Ag said:

The oldest one is really good. He has an ugly shot but he is good. The kid that scored 92 the other day doesn't impress me at all.I would love to see what he could do against an above average defender.
We'll see. Obviously he won't score 92 against a halfway decent defender, but all three have next level ability and with decent coaching (if they're receptive to it) could be drafted eventually.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.