Coaching carosel article from SI

3,494 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
Gladiator-91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/23/

Just food for thought, but it does not appear to those outside BCS that bk is in any trouble.
PaRappa
Kennedy is not in any danger of being fired. A much more likely scenario is that he retires and takes a job in the AD. He is/was never going to get fired. He could have gone 0-fer and not gotten fired.
ham98
Kennedy coaches as long as Kennedy wants because our AD is not run in a professional manner
jt16
AG
PaRappa said:

Kennedy is not in any danger of being fired. A much more likely scenario is that he retires and takes a job in the AD. He is/was never going to get fired. He could have gone 0-fer and not gotten fired.

This may be true, but can anybody substantiate this, and then provide a reasoning why this is true?
Method Man
Does us keeping him for a fifth year and that ridiculous contract not susbtantiate it enough?
DogCompany74
AG
Billy Kennedy will be the head coach as long as he wants to be coach.

He will underachieve again next year with the excuses already being fomented. ( Williams and Trocha leaving ? Hogg isn't coming along, our guards are young, etc)
He will continue to turn out teams that are weak on fundamentals , sporadic on defense with an imperceptible offensive scheme.

He will stand by as the fan base and students increasingly walk away from the program in frustration. He will continue to do NOTHING to instill a sense of hope or a spirit of fun.

None of the decision makers wants the University to be seen as being cruel and insensitive .

Basketball and Chain
AG
jt16 said:

PaRappa said:

This may be true, but can anybody substantiate this, and then provide a reasoning why this is true?

Reason #1: his insane contract extension
AggieTFA06
AG
If we fired Kennedy, the narrative is going to be something along the lines of:

"Texas A&M fired last year's SEC coach of the year who also won an SEC championship which was Texas A&M's first conference championship since the 80s. In addition, Kennedy is the 3rd ever head coach to coach an Aggie team to a Sweet 16."

Because of that narrative, we probably aren't going to fire Kennedy, but I wouldn't be surprised if we asked him to retire.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Bunk Moreland
jt16 said:

PaRappa said:

We'll have to wait and see, but PaRappa has been consistent in his posting and was the first this year to put that out. So who knows what's right
Method Man
Who was it a few years ago that did the same thing all season and then came out and said he was troplling?
deadbq03
AG
If we didn't also have a football coach on the hot seat, I could see it happening this year.

But there's zero chance the powers that be are going to get themselves into a position where they have to pay two stupid buyouts in the same calendar year. They're going to keep their powder dry for late November.
TangoMike
Method Man said:

Who was it a few years ago that did the same thing all season and then came out and said he was troplling?
That guy was on acid. He spent the entire year promising that Kennedy had already been reassigned pending the season end. I don't think he ever said he was trolling, I think he just never manned up and got the ban

I think he even put money on it against some other posters
Pumpkinhead
AG
It was BilboAggins during Latter half of Kennedy's Year 1. Claimed he had sources that Kennedy was getting replaced because of the Parkinson's. Posters like XL2win would sometimes back him up talking about how that made sense he was stepping down after just one year bc there was no way a guy with Parkinsons could handle coaching stresses, etc.

As the season ended and day or two passed with no news of Kennedy resigning, bilbo started taking bets with other posters that Kennedy would be gone by some specific day in May that he threw out.

That day in May then came and went and when posters started asking him to pay up, he said he had been trolling all along. Got bAnned pretty soon after that including a couple of obvious socks that he made.

6 years later Kennedy still coaching here.

Posters like Bilbo is one of the reasons that when a poster starts talking about 'sources' on TexAgs, often have to take it with a grain of salt because of the nature of message boards.
Method Man
Sources are always sketchy. I've been told the big people don't talk and let stuff out, but they do some.

I think Logan knows exactly what's going on because he's run damage control for the staff and that indicates To me a higher level of confidence.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Sources are always sketchy. I've been told the big people don't talk and let stuff out, but they do some.

I think Logan knows exactly what's going on because he's run damage control for the staff and that indicates To me a higher level of confidence.
I asked Logan directly about this specific topic yesterday and got a direct, unequivocal response. If you want to read it go look at his Five Thoughts article for Arkansas on Premium.
Method Man
I'm not on premium but I've hacked logans home
Computer
Method Man
We asked Logan directly about Reese's injury and he said he couldn't go into it when he knew Reese was leaving.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

We asked Logan directly about Reese's injury and he said he couldn't go into it when he knew Reese was leaving.
Well he didn't say he couldn't go into or leave any gray area. He answered the question directly.
Method Man
Ok. Thanks. I will check the servers.
Gladiator-91
AG
What is troubling is that this author doesn't even bring up that bk may be stepping down as a result of his Parkinson's but lists other coach's precarious status (even if it is somewhat educated conjecture). Meanwhile on this board this rumor (and the hope for many myself included) that the stepping down scenario is already in motion. Makes me nervous we are stuck with bk and his ineptitude for at least another year.
PaRappa

Quote:

What is troubling is that this author doesn't even bring up that bk may be stepping down as a result of his Parkinson's but lists other coach's precarious status (even if it is somewhat educated conjecture).
No media person is going to say "hey maybe Kennedy doesn't come back because of his health." They basically are going to avoid commenting on it out of decency. If Kennedy decides to step down because of his health (a very real possibility six years into his diagnosis), it will just happen. He will go to another position in the AD until he really retires. There will not be a whole lot of warning of it.
Topher17
AG
TexAgs sure can be a double edged sword sometimes. I love the inside look they're able to give us into programs, but that seems to come at the price of constantly trying to play nice with the AD as to not jeopardize relationships. I would love to hear Logan's honest, unfiltered opinion regarding this team and coaching. The game analysis he is able to provide is awesome, I just wish we were able to get a little more insight from him on what he thinks is best for the program and where it is heading based on the on court results. This isn't to say I want him to come out with his pitchfork either, I just want to hear a former player's take, and one who played for the best coach we've ever had.
bobinator
AG
The relationship between TexAgs and the Athletic Department is nothing compared to the specific relationship between Logan and the basketball staff. I don't think it's really fair to lump the two in together.
Aston04
AG
BK recruited really well this year for someone planning to quietly step down. Unfortunately, I believe BK will hang onto this job as long as possible and it may get ugly at the end.

It's more frustrating because the man can recruit.. But past history reveals he we will underachieve with whatever talent he puts together due to his underwhelming coaching skills. Really limits our ceiling as long as he is able to latch on to this job.
PaRappa
Kennedy has a degenerative condition that only gets worse, some days are better than others but it doesn't get better overall. If he really recruited that well, he would not constantly find himself in position where his rosters have huge holes (pretty much every year save last year).

Aston04
AG
^He did the hard part of recruiting well-- getting solid big men and a scorer in Gilder. Combo/pgs/wings are a dime a dozen and he missed on that easy part of simply building more depth at guard.
PaRappa
You have to recruit well enough to field a decent team, something he has done once. Otherwise your recruiting is a paper tiger. Also he has had major turnover almost every year.

I do think a competent coach would have done much better with Kennedy's rosters than he has, so his coaching could very well make his recruiting worse.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hey, off the BK thing for a moment which has been beaten to death anyways. Did ya'll notice Ben Howland's name being mentioned a couple of times in that article as a guy who might be targeted by another job opening? Scott Drew's name thrown out there as well.
TangoMike
Pumpkinhead said:

Hey, off the BK thing for a moment which has been beaten to death anyways. Did ya'll notice Ben Howland's name being mentioned a couple of times in that article as a guy who might be targeted by another job opening? Scott Drew's name thrown out there as well.
Scott Drew has turned down a small number of other "better" jobs through the years - Oregon, Illinois that I can think of. I don't think he's ever leaving Baylor
Yell Practice
Method Man
Baylor has billi
Yell Practice
Yell Practice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.