What's the best rotation next season if Williams and Trocha both go pro?

2,310 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TjgtAg08
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few things I am pretty confident of:
PG: Caldwell plays at least 25 minutes
SG: Gilder plays at least 30 minutes
SF:
PF:
C: Davis plays at least 25 minutes and Jasey plays the remainder.

Fill in the blanks.

The remaining 15 minutes at PG go to _________.
The remaining 10 minutes at SG go to _________.
The 40 minutes at SF go to ______ and ________.
The 40 minutes at PF go to _______ and ________.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
PG: Caldwell/Starks
SG Gilder/Chandler
CG: Hogg/Eubanks
PF: Flagg/Vila
C: Davis/Jasey
GE
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

SG Gilder/Chandler
Interesting take. I was thinking along the same lines but with Flagg and Hogg flipped and Chandler and Starks flipped. Didn't realize that Chandler was a couple inches taller than Starks though so this probably would make sense.

Another thing I've been curious about is if how Caleb Smith fits into the picture next season. With him being a year older than these other guys and Chandler needing to fill out some physically, I could see him challenging for some PT.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Chandler/Starks/Caldwell seem a higher level of athlete than a guy like Caleb Smith or Hampton, and Collins isn't even in the same time zone in terms of athlete. Experience aside, there is little question to me that the new guys are an upgrade in athleticism.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
GE said:

numetalbizkitaggie said:

SG Gilder/Chandler
Interesting take. I was thinking along the same lines but with Flagg and Hogg flipped and Chandler and Starks flipped. Didn't realize that Chandler was a couple inches taller than Starks though so this probably would make sense.
The reason I placed Flagg and Hogg where they are is just because Hogg's 3-point shot is the most successful when he has someone to kick it out to him outside. Flagg is averaging more rebounds per game and has a lower 3-point percentage than Hogg did, comparatively speaking, as High School seniors. Hogg turned it over quite a bit this year when he would try to post up or drive inside and I just haven't seen the comfort in that part of his game.
Quote:

Another thing I've been curious about is if how Caleb Smith fits into the picture next season. With him being a year older than these other guys and Chandler needing to fill out some physically, I could see him challenging for some PT.
That's a great point. Smith would fit that role, (relief SG minutes), much better than trying to shoehorn him as a PG.
zooguy96
I think Flagg takes minutes at SG and SF. Dude can ball.
mdanyc03
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Chandler/Starks/Caldwell seem a higher level of athlete than a guy like Caleb Smith or Hampton, and Collins isn't even in the same time zone in terms of athlete. Experience aside, there is little question to me that the new guys are an upgrade in athleticism.
Athletically I think Caleb Smith is a legit high major D1 basketball player. Maybe not on par with Chandler, but I bet he is on par with Starks and Caldwell. Those guys are just much, much more skilled basketball players. As far as I have been able to tell, Caleb Smith cannot dribble with his right hand at all (for example).

I still think he could potentially be a good player for us, he just has a long way to go.

Hampton on the other hand is very limited athletically but that guy can shoot the ball.
mdanyc03
AG
I think next year we could see lots of four guard stuff with Tyler alone in the middle. That is with or without Tonny back. We can still keep four guys outside of the three point lane and that will make it harder to trap/ double Tyler in this post.
Aston04
AG
I'd say good chance Caleb Smith is gone since he can't beat out Collins this year.
LouisvilleAg
AG
PG: Caldwell - 25 Starks - 15
SG Gilder - 30 Chandler - 10
CG: Flagg - 30 Eubanks - 10
PF: Hogg - 30 Vila - 10
C: Davis - 30 Jasey - 10

I think we try to move Hogg and Vila away from handling the ball and more of a stretch 4. They should become spot shooters on the outside. That should free the lane to either feed Davis or allow the guards to drive.

Should be a much more free flowing offense. Could create a liability on defense, but we should only be at one spot.
txag72
AG
There's a lot of "if's and's and but's" without Trocha. He catches a little too much grief on here to me. He should leave the 3 pointer alone unless it's shot clock desperation time and he's open, but other than that, he's "all over the court" a lot more than some others.
PatAg
AG
We should think more in terms of guards and forwards then specific positions.

I also find it really interesting you think Trocha catches too much grief considering your crusade against Hogg in every thread. One of those players is top 3 in every statistic for us.
GE
AG
True or false: everybody in the regular rotation next season will dunk the ball at least once during the year?

I say true, and that will be a massive improvement.
txag72
AG
Quote:

I also find it really interesting you think Trocha catches too much grief considering your crusade against Hogg in every thread. One of those players is top 3 in every statistic for us.
Because no one was saying before the season that the season hinged on Trocha and that he was a 2 or 3 and done NBA prospect. EVERY statistic? Well if you get the minutes and are 6'9" I guess you should be in the top 3 in some but EVERY? How about FT's and FT % for one. Assist to TO ratio?
jml2621
Depression.
txag72
AG
Quote:

True or false: everybody in the regular rotation next season will dunk the ball at least once during the year?

I say true, and that will be a massive improvement.
I guess Hampton hasn't? Other than that, well Collins, but well, nmd.
PatAg
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

Because no one was saying before the season that the season hinged on Trocha and that he was a 2 or 3 and done NBA prospect. EVERY statistic? Well if you get the minutes and are 6'9" I guess you should be in the top 3 in some but EVERY? How about FT's and FT % for one. Assist to TO ratio?
So you named 3 statistics outside of the major ones, good job.

Pts, rebounds, minutes, assists, blocks
TopoTacos
AG
No chance Morelos goes pro after this season. He's still way too deficient at the basics and lacks the athleticism to overcome those.
TjgtAg08
AG
If Trocha and Williams both go, this team is in the same position it is this year, just in the front court, not the back court. If somehow we only sign one front court player (Flagg is not a front court player, neither is Villa) and lose Trocha, Williams and Miller, I don't see how you can't fire Kennedy as soon as those two guys announce, because that is two straight years of a blatant, naive mismanagement of the roster. That would be Billy Kennedy frankly NOT doing his job, which is so MFing unacceptable.

Next year we are going to be severely relying on freshmen at the 1-3 spots ... if we also have to rely on them (or a JUCO or grad transfer) in the post, we are screwed and Billy Kennedy deserved to be fired (if he doesn't already).
txag72
AG
Quote:

No chance Morelos goes pro after this season. He's still way too deficient at the basics and lacks the athleticism to overcome those.
Euro ball the possibility.
TMartin
Trocha isn't going pro at least in the United States.
Hop
Staff
AG
There are hundreds and hundreds of pro basketball leagues outside of the U.S.
farmer1
AG
The best rotation is get a new head coach
GE
AG
Hop said:

There are hundreds and hundreds of pro basketball leagues outside of the U.S.
Hop, I'd like your take on my question in the OP. You've probably seen more of the incoming guys than the rest of us.
Canyon99
Villa needs to average less than 5 minutes a game next year.
GE
AG
Canyon99 said:

Villa needs to average less than 5 minutes a game next year.
Why?
PatAg
AG
austinaggie2008 said:

If Trocha and Williams both go, this team is in the same position it is this year, just in the front court, not the back court. If somehow we only sign one front court player (Flagg is not a front court player, neither is Villa) and lose Trocha, Williams and Miller, I don't see how you can't fire Kennedy as soon as those two guys announce, because that is two straight years of a blatant, naive mismanagement of the roster. That would be Billy Kennedy frankly NOT doing his job, which is so MFing unacceptable.

Next year we are going to be severely relying on freshmen at the 1-3 spots ... if we also have to rely on them (or a JUCO or grad transfer) in the post, we are screwed and Billy Kennedy deserved to be fired (if he doesn't already).
Well, it wouldn't be the same because Davis is still our best post player and would still be on the team.
Deputy Travis Junior
LouisvilleAg said:

PG: Caldwell - 25 Starks - 15
SG Gilder - 30 Chandler - 10
CG: Flagg - 30 Eubanks - 10
PF: Hogg - 30 Vila - 10
C: Davis - 30 Jasey - 10
I know we're all amped up about next year's recruiting class, but to me, this doesn't look like an NCAA team. Far too much youth and inexperience, and I'm not seeing any "fish phenom" types here.

Flagg and Caldwell could/should be moderate, reliable contributors much like Gilder and Hogg last year, but 247 has Starks and Chandler ranked above 100+. This means they have some potential, but also a lot of developmental work to do before they are legit components of any quality P-5 team. Not to mention that they're easily within "possible flame out" range (for reference, Daniel Alexander was ranked 115).

Jasey is ranked 200+. For comparison, that's considerably lower than Dylan Johns and Tavario Miller, and a little higher than Peyton Allen. In other words, expecting him to give even 10 quality minutes per game next year is a MAJOR leap of faith.
EliteZags
AG
SF: Collins - 28
PF: some undersized walkon from IM courts - 25
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Deputy, your post gave me an idea to lookup the rankings of those 10 players, just to add to the discussion:
PG: JJ Caldwell (#66 National/#12 Postion)/TJ Starks (#114 National/#27 Position)
SG: Admon Gilder (#92 National/#28 Position)/Jay Jay Chandler (#127 National/#27 Position)
CG: Savion Flagg (#60 National/#14 Position)/Kobie Eubanks (#96 National/#16 Position)
PF: DJ Hogg (#29 National/#8 Position)/Eric Vila (#276 Position/#69 Position)
C: Tyler Davis (#31 National/#5 Position)/Isiah Jasey (#215 National/#51 Position)

Even though this thread is assuming we lose Trocha, here's his ranking:
Tony Trocha-Morelos (#154 National/#38 Position)

Edit: All rankings are 247 composite
Deputy Travis Junior
Yea. Recruiting is a frequently inaccurate science, so it's possible that some of our recruits will outplay their rankings and be major contributors, but it's also possible that they underplay their rankings. Simply assuming that we'll improve a lot due to this guard haul is risky.
TjgtAg08
AG
I'd argue Gilder is our best player now, and you see how things are going along the perimeter.

Tyler Davis can be the best big in the country and average 18-10 next year and we will still be in serious trouble if we lose Trocha and Williams. Who starts at the 4 next to Davis? Hogg? Flagg? Neither guy fits that position at all. And Davis can't play the entire game like Gilder has been doing, so who subs in for him? Jasey? OK, but he isn't a highly developed player at this point and is your only other true big. What happens when Davis gets 2 fouls in the first 8 minutes? Jasey plays the next 12 down low? Or we go with some abysmal lineup of basically 5 perimeter players?

If you lose Trocha and Williams, we are in serious trouble and Kennedy should be fired, plain and simple. I don't care what transfer or JUCO guy he brings in. That would be year 7 and the third straight year where he had to scramble at the last minute to bring in a player that needs to play heavy starters minutes. That would be a pathetic mismanagement of the roster.

Oh, and by the way, it is much easier to find a JUCO or grad transfer guard to give immediate help than it is a big.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.