Goodman implied Buzz is a serious candidate for LSU

3 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mhayden
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mdanyc03 said:

free_mhayden said:

Quote:

We have other people on here saying that Kennedy is the second worst coach in the SEC one year after winning the SEC and coach of the year honors and nobody blinks an eye. It is really astounding.

Because unfortunately he had 5 other years here.

And calling him the second worst coach in the sec is full blown stupid on that basis too.

I'm not arguing he's the second worst coach, just saying that people's opinion on him shouldn't solely revolve around one senior-laden team playing a very favorable conference schedule.

Would it surprise you to know that the consensus "worst coach in the SEC" actually had a better conference record than Kennedy coming into this season?
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

mdanyc03 said:

free_mhayden said:

Quote:

We have other people on here saying that Kennedy is the second worst coach in the SEC one year after winning the SEC and coach of the year honors and nobody blinks an eye. It is really astounding.

Because unfortunately he had 5 other years here.

And calling him the second worst coach in the sec is full blown stupid on that basis too.

Would it surprise you to know that the consensus "worst coach in the SEC" actually had a better conference record than Kennedy coming into this season?
I hope you putting 'consensus worst coach in SEc' in quotations does not mean that you think Johnny Jones is not the worst coach in the SEC.
Method Man
The SEC was better then. Kennedy had to beat out one team that didn't make the sweet sixteen.

I've seen them recruit and coach. Stansbury is better at both.
Method Man
Not saying he's amazing either. Just saying it's not much of a competition. Anyone saying someone else shouldn't be taken seriously when they're defending a coach with one good season in six shouldn't be taken seriously.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Steeple said:

Here's extra bonus points for sickness after considering BK's contract:

"Plus Brey makes $1.7 million at Notre Dame, which is not an enormous amount of money particularly for a coach who's been on the job since 2000. It's entirely possible Alleva could buy him."
They aren't going to buyout Kennedy for 4 million (per his current new contract) and then go throw 3+ million at a guy like Buzz. No way A&M goes out of their way financially like that for a hoops coach. Plus they have a high chance of having to burn a lot of money this December changing out the football coach.

Not unless they could negotiate a way to give Kennedy a soft landing. Otherwise, just looking at numbers straight up, seems very unrealistic that A&M will get into the basketball coaching search business for at least another year.

Brey might use LSU to get a pay raise, but he's staying at ND.
jml2621
Method Man said:

The SEC was better then. Kennedy had to beat out one team that didn't make the sweet sixteen.

I've seen them recruit and coach. Stansbury is better at both.

There has been an uptick in coaching lately. Unless LSU picks Kermit, they are assured of a massive upgrade...we're now running out of teams and coaches we can consistently beat with BK.

RW up to 12 on DraftExpress. Another mock has him at 7, but trust DraftExpress.

Momma needs to do some serious home cookin' Rad Gumbo to keep Rob at A&M!

Method Man
Rank the coaches mdancay?
_lefraud_
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Method Man said:

t - cam said:

Would love to get Buzz but the overrating of Stansburry on this site is astounding.

He'd do markedly better than bK here and be a lifer.
This is the kind of thing that makes it impossible to take you serious.

Stansbury won a grand total of one NCAA tournament game in his last seven years at Miss State. Billy Kennedy won the SEC championship, was conference coach of the year and went to the sweet 16 last year. I am not saying that Kennedy is a better coach necessarily. I am saying that firing Kennedy to hire Stansbury would be full out stupid.

If you want to make a case that we should major upgrade our program and go for a big time high end coach with a big time contract at whatever appropriate time, I would support that. But for you to bang on about Kennedy and then advocate for mediocre coaches is just dumb.

BCG was coach of the year, and a year later canned at UK...
mhayden
I think he probably is but haven't given it a ton of thought. I just used quotations because it's something said around here a lot by a lot of people that I don't think realize just how similar Jones and Kennedy's conference records were before this season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.