Goodman implied Buzz is a serious candidate for LSU

4 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mhayden
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You ready to let him go elsewhere Aggie decision makers?

Unforgivable.
jml2621
Method Man said:

You ready to let him go elsewhere Aggie decision makers?

Unforgivable.

That would really SUCK.

Torches and pitchforks ready for a Bright complex assault..

Method Man
Stansbury to LSU would be bad enough. Buzz?
jml2621
Method Man said:

Stansbury to LSU would be bad enough. Buzz?
Horrible.

Williams
Stansbury
Prohm
Cross

top candidates
jml2621
We have a secret weapon, though: Joe Alleva.
jml2621
IU goes down to Iowa.

Surely, Creen is gone. Stevens?
Method Man
UNFORGIVEABLE.
Pumpkinhead
AG
From Goodman's tweet, he seems to have opinion that Stansbury won't be on LSU's radar.

DeangeloVickers
AG
I'll be sick
Method Man
Pumpkinhead said:

From Goodman's tweet, he seems to have opinion that Stansbury won't be on LSU's radar.

Goodman really hates Stansbury.
TMF
AG
That's because we have no leadership in the department. We only hire friends.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Below is an article where the author has done a pretty detailed breakdown of the next LSU hoops coach in three groups: The Unattainables (of which he includes Buzz Williams), The Attainables (the group where he thinks the next LSU coach likely comes), and The Applicants (guys who he thinks will be interested in the job but who won't get serious consideration due to a variety of factors - he puts Stansbury in this category).

https://thehayride.com/2017/02/we-might-as-well-update-the-lsu-hoops-coaching-sweepstakes-list/

So he basically seems to feel Buzz wouldn't leave V-Tech for LSU (though he thinks LSU should take a shot at it and see if he'll listen) and doesn't think Stansbury should get serious consideration (similar to Goodman's tweet).

His group of where the next LSU coach most likely comes is Will Wade (VCU), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), Kevin Keatts (UNC-Wilmington), Niko Medved (Furman), Steve Forbes (East Tennessee State), Paul Weir (New Mexico State)

Here was his take on Rick Stansbury, who apparently has been actively compaigning for the LSU job including rumors that he would bring WKU recruits Josh Anderson and Mitchell Robinson with him (I assume these rumors are why TexAgs has been spreading that idea around).

Quote:

Rick Stansbury, Western Kentucky Stansbury, who had some moderate success at Mississippi State from 1998-2012, has been actively campaigning for the LSU job, according to the grapevine. In that pursuit he's done some interesting things; Stansbury hired a former Tulane assistant, Shammond Williams, and spent the fall stealing Louisiana recruits away from Jones. He signed Madison Prep's Josh Anderson and Chalmette's 6-11 stud Mitchell Robinson, which he has zero busines doing at Western Kentucky, and the rumor was that Stansbury would get those two players out of their letters of intent and bring them to Baton Rouge if he was hired. In the meantime Stansbury, who made the NCAA tournament six times and the NIT five times at State, has a WKU team picked to finish second in Conference USA this year sitting at 7-7 in the league and 13-14 overall. No, you can't go from 13-14 at Western Kentucky to the head coaching job at LSU, no matter who you are and no matter who your recruits might be in Year One. Robinson is a one-and-done player; he's not likely to do anything more for LSU Basketball than Anthony Randolph or Ben Simmons did LSU needs to actually build a program for once. Stansbury is 57, and he makes half a million bucks a year. He'd crawl to LSU, but Alleva would be crazy to ask him to.

Here was his take on Buzz Williams:

Quote:

Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech Williams was a Crean assistant who took over at Marquette, and kept that program humming from 2008-13, he went to five straight NCAA tournaments before leaving for Blacksburg, where he's taken a more or less perennial also-ran and made them competitive in the ACC. Two years ago, Virginia Tech was 11-22, and last year they went 20-15 and made it to the NIT. This year they're 18-8 with a fighting chance to crawl onto the NCAA bubble. To say the 44-year old is a winner is an understatement if he can turn the Hokies into a factor in the monster that is the ACC, there is almost nothing he can't do. His current contract has him at $2.6 million per year, scaling upwards to $3.3 million in 2022-23. So why would he consider coaching at LSU? Well, Williams isn't from Up East he's a Texan. And his first head coaching job was just down the road at UNO in 2006-07. The argument could be made that LSU in the SEC has a better shot at becoming high-level competitive on a sustaining basis than Virginia Tech in the ACC. Alleva would need to come up with an initial offer of $3 million just to get in the door with Williams, but there is reason to believe he might listen to the right pitch.

Yeah....Buzz Williams has always been my favorite guy personally. I'd love to think there was some influential people in the AD who could maybe have the foresight & initiative to work out an arrangement with Billy Kennedy (perhaps keeping him associated with A&M AD in some fashion as a soft landing spot) but bring in Buzz Williams, dangling both a really nice contract offer and a really nice looking roster to start out with in his Year 1 here (regardless of whether Robert Williams declares or not - definite thanks to Kennedy in terms of building a nice pipeline of talent the past few years but Buzz's track record indicates that he would almost certainly get more out of the talent).
greg.w.h
AG
Following Johnny Jones with Kermit Davis is their best move imo...
Steeple
Here's extra bonus points for sickness after considering BK's contract:

"Plus Brey makes $1.7 million at Notre Dame, which is not an enormous amount of money particularly for a coach who's been on the job since 2000. It's entirely possible Alleva could buy him."
Pumpkinhead
AG
Steeple said:

Here's extra bonus points for sickness after considering BK's contract:

"Plus Brey makes $1.7 million at Notre Dame, which is not an enormous amount of money particularly for a coach who's been on the job since 2000. It's entirely possible Alleva could buy him."
They aren't going to buyout Kennedy for 4 million (per his current new contract) and then go throw 3+ million at a guy like Buzz. No way A&M goes out of their way financially like that for a hoops coach. Plus they have a high chance of having to burn a lot of money this December changing out the football coach.

Not unless they could negotiate a way to give Kennedy a soft landing. Otherwise, just looking at numbers straight up, seems very unrealistic that A&M will get into the basketball coaching search business for at least another year.
mdanyc03
AG
A good ole "I am furious about the possibility of a long shot hypothetical" thread.
mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead said:

Below is an article where the author has done a pretty detailed breakdown of the next LSU hoops coach in three groups: The Unattainables (of which he includes Buzz Williams), The Attainables (the group where he thinks the next LSU coach likely comes), and The Applicants (guys who he thinks will be interested in the job but who won't get serious consideration due to a variety of factors - he puts Stansbury in this category).

https://thehayride.com/2017/02/we-might-as-well-update-the-lsu-hoops-coaching-sweepstakes-list/

So he basically seems to feel Buzz wouldn't leave V-Tech for LSU (though he thinks LSU should take a shot at it and see if he'll listen) and doesn't think Stansbury should get serious consideration (similar to Goodman's tweet).

His group of where the next LSU coach most likely comes is Will Wade (VCU), Kermit Davis (Middle Tennessee), Kevin Keatts (UNC-Wilmington), Niko Medved (Furman), Steve Forbes (East Tennessee State), Paul Weir (New Mexico State)

Here was his take on Rick Stansbury, who apparently has been actively compaigning for the LSU job including rumors that he would bring WKU recruits Josh Anderson and Mitchell Robinson with him (I assume these rumors are why TexAgs has been spreading that idea around).

Quote:

Rick Stansbury, Western Kentucky Stansbury, who had some moderate success at Mississippi State from 1998-2012, has been actively campaigning for the LSU job, according to the grapevine. In that pursuit he's done some interesting things; Stansbury hired a former Tulane assistant, Shammond Williams, and spent the fall stealing Louisiana recruits away from Jones. He signed Madison Prep's Josh Anderson and Chalmette's 6-11 stud Mitchell Robinson, which he has zero busines doing at Western Kentucky, and the rumor was that Stansbury would get those two players out of their letters of intent and bring them to Baton Rouge if he was hired. In the meantime Stansbury, who made the NCAA tournament six times and the NIT five times at State, has a WKU team picked to finish second in Conference USA this year sitting at 7-7 in the league and 13-14 overall. No, you can't go from 13-14 at Western Kentucky to the head coaching job at LSU, no matter who you are and no matter who your recruits might be in Year One. Robinson is a one-and-done player; he's not likely to do anything more for LSU Basketball than Anthony Randolph or Ben Simmons did LSU needs to actually build a program for once. Stansbury is 57, and he makes half a million bucks a year. He'd crawl to LSU, but Alleva would be crazy to ask him to.

Here was his take on Buzz Williams:

Quote:

Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech Williams was a Crean assistant who took over at Marquette, and kept that program humming from 2008-13, he went to five straight NCAA tournaments before leaving for Blacksburg, where he's taken a more or less perennial also-ran and made them competitive in the ACC. Two years ago, Virginia Tech was 11-22, and last year they went 20-15 and made it to the NIT. This year they're 18-8 with a fighting chance to crawl onto the NCAA bubble. To say the 44-year old is a winner is an understatement if he can turn the Hokies into a factor in the monster that is the ACC, there is almost nothing he can't do. His current contract has him at $2.6 million per year, scaling upwards to $3.3 million in 2022-23. So why would he consider coaching at LSU? Well, Williams isn't from Up East he's a Texan. And his first head coaching job was just down the road at UNO in 2006-07. The argument could be made that LSU in the SEC has a better shot at becoming high-level competitive on a sustaining basis than Virginia Tech in the ACC. Alleva would need to come up with an initial offer of $3 million just to get in the door with Williams, but there is reason to believe he might listen to the right pitch.

Yeah....Buzz Williams has always been my favorite guy personally. I'd love to think there was some influential people in the AD who could maybe have the foresight & initiative to work out an arrangement with Billy Kennedy (perhaps keeping him associated with A&M AD in some fashion as a soft landing spot) but bring in Buzz Williams, dangling both a really nice contract offer and a really nice looking roster to start out with in his Year 1 here (regardless of whether Robert Williams declares or not - definite thanks to Kennedy in terms of building a nice pipeline of talent the past few years but Buzz's track record indicates that he would almost certainly get more out of the talent).

Stansbury is for sure on their radar. Without the stable of recruits he would not be. He may not get the job, but Goodman is wrong

Mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead
AG
Mike, Stansbury dangling WKU signees as bait (while his Year 1 WKU team is doing poorly to boot) actively angling for the LSU job just seems a bit distasteful to me personally. I know a lot of these coaches operate in grey areas and it seems to be a brutal business and everybody needs to look out for them self, etc, but as a guy who works in a different business industry, it would rub me the wrong way. I probably wouldn't hire Stansbury out of a distrust factor if I was in charge. Not if I had some other quality candidates to choose from. Not impressed with Stansbury if that is what he has been up to.
mhayden
jml2621 said:

IU goes down to Iowa.

Surely, Creen is gone. Stevens?

Creen has at least another year.
DeangeloVickers
AG
If you are looking for integrity and amazing men....college basketball coaches is about the last place to start
GE
AG
Good for Buzz. Like the guy a lot and will feel better about beating a well coached team at LSU than the poorly coached teams they have fielded under JJ. Good for the conference overall too.
GrayMatter
AG
Quote:

Not unless they could negotiate a way to give Kennedy a soft landing. Otherwise, just looking at numbers straight up, seems very unrealistic that A&M will get into the basketball coaching search business for at least another year.
You mean like make BK an "associate head coach" and Buzz the head coach?

I seem to recall that when Turge was hired, he had to retain Deandre's AAU coach on staff in order to keep him at A&M. That didn't rub him the right way and is one of the reasons why Turge didn't recruit well here.

Would that potential arrangement scare away candidates for a head coach?
PaRappa
Method Man said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Goodman really hates Stansbury.
I wish our BMAs really hated Kennedy.

It would sting if Buzz went to LSU. To know he was available twice, while we stuck with a dead end like Kennedy is terrible. Buzz is a guy that I would think would be happy to stay at A&M and enjoy success here. I think the fans would embrace him and he could do so much for the program.
Pumpkinhead
AG
No, I was not referring to a 'soft landing' as Kennedy being on the coaching staff. They already basically gave him a soft landing with the new contract. Was just saying that can't imagine them ponying up that kind of buyout money right now (4 million), so if they wanted to part ways then seems like some other negotiation and arrangement would have to be figured out.

I think chances are slim that Kennedy is not coaching next year.
FTAG 2000
AG
GE said:

Good for Buzz. Like the guy a lot and will feel better about beating a well coached team at LSU than the poorly coached teams they have fielded under JJ. Good for the conference overall too.
LOL. We could count on beating LSU regularly with Jones, the only worse coach than BK in the SEC, there.

Buzz coached teams will beat us like a drum.
Know Your Enemy
AG
How can LSU afford Buzz with all their money problems?
old yeller
AG
mdanyc03 said:

A good ole "I am furious about the possibility of a long shot hypothetical" thread.
So true
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ryno01 said:

If you are looking for integrity and amazing men....college basketball coaches is about the last place to start
Yeah, I know. These guy are hired mercenaries.

Dangling the recruiting class that he signed to WKU as bait for another job when he is still in Year 1 at his current employer, and producing a poor Year 1 at that, just seems like a bit extra level of sleaze that I think would rub me the wrong way personally. If he has been actually doing that (per the 'rumors' mentioned in the article above). He ends up pulling that kind of stunt then seems WKU would have been better off never hiring him to begin with. They would have gotten one poor season out of his tenure plus a significantly damaged/lost 2017 recruiting class as a bonus.

bobinator
AG
PH, you keep saying 4 million, but it's 7 million right? Did I read that wrong?
mhayden
Buyout money right now is $7m.

After mid-May it's $4.5m.
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

Buyout money right now is $7m.

After mid-May it's $4.5m.
This.
bobinator
AG
If I were Buzz I don't think LSU would be the job I'd want next, but ya never know I guess.
mhayden
Not sure why'd you leave VTech for LSU either.
bobinator
AG
There are some interesting jobs out there though that I'm not sure where they rank up against each other.

Like for some reason if the Arkansas job came open, I'd think Buzz would be more likely to end up there than he would at LSU, even though LSU has been the better program for quite a while.

I don't really have a good reason for why I feel that way though.
old yeller
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that LSU doesn't hire Buzz. But until they don't I will be outraged.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.