Calipari on firing coaches mid season

1,467 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/watch-john-calipari-goes-on-curse-laden-rant-in-defending-mark-fox-mark-gottfried/
PJYoung
AG
Coaches defend coaches to the death. Nothing to see here.
bobinator
AG
For what it's worth I think firing a coach midseason is pretty dumb also except in maybe some rare situations. A situation in which you're going to let him coach out the season anyway is not one of those situations.
aggiebrad94
AG
The advantage was to let other coaches know the position was open. However, with today's deals being done by agents and agents of agents, there isn't a need from a replacement standpoint,

Only benefit I see is to motivate both alumni and players. Alumni to show the AD is doing something and the players to play harder as "tryouts" for the next coach.
bobinator
AG
It just seems like it creates more problems than it solves. Players now know they don't really need to listen to the coach, and if the administration is just going to give up on the season, why shouldn't the players?

Plus like you said, these days the job could be open in the agent world without it really being open yet.
mikesyracuse1
And it makes matters worse when a school leaks out information that they're firing the coach, weeks before it's supposed to happen.

mikesyracuse1
LawHall88
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

The advantage was to let other coaches know the position was open. However, with today's deals being done by agents and agents of agents, there isn't a need from a replacement standpoint,

Only benefit I see is to motivate both alumni and players. Alumni to show the AD is doing something and the players to play harder as "tryouts" for the next coach.
Tryouts for the coach that hasn't been hired yet?

NC State just screwed up here. They were going to fire him at the end of the season anyway, but I assume got sloppy in the process of contacting potential new hires and it leaked to the press, so they just decided to come clean rather than lying about their intentions for the rest of the season.
Steeple
Mark Fox is a better coach than our coach. And he has to deal with some really poor facilities too; only Ms St has worse bball facilities in the SEC.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Steeple said:

Mark Fox is a better coach than our coach. And he has to deal with some really poor facilities too; only Ms St has worse bball facilities in the SEC.

There is not much evidence that Fox can consistently recruit. I wouldn't swap Kennedy for him. He finished below Kennedy in SEC last year. He is below Kennedy in SEC right now this current year. And he will likely finish below Kennedy in SEC next year.

you mentioned Miss State having poor facilities and Howland is recruiting lights out there.
aggiedad55
AG
Tuck Howland, let him rot in Starkville!
Yell Practice
Coaches defend Coaches

Yes !!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.