Pete Thamel's Coaching Carousel Article

2,076 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mikeyshooter
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/17/nc-state-mark-gottfried-fired-tom-crean-gregg-marshall

There's a lot of pointless meandering in here, but some interesting notes for discussion:

1) He floats the idea of LSU hiring Scott Drew. (And other places hiring Scott Drew) Talk about a megazord of hate...

2) He says coaches like Archie Miller and Chris Mack are unlikely to take the N.C. State job, but then floats Gregg Marshall. Why would he want that job if Miller and Mack don't? He also brings up Tom Crean taking this job, NC State fans would probably burn down the arena if that happened.

3) He likes Cuonzo Martin more than most people seem to...

4) BRAD UNDERWOOD IS ONLY MAKING A MILLION/YR AT OKLAHOMA STATE?!

(Also, Pumpkinhead, I just realized it's the same article your thread was based on, but I think that thread is heading down a different rabbit hole.)

Aston04
AG
Rumor I've heard from some here in Missouri is that Mizzou will target Cuonzo Martin after firing Kim Anderson. Martin had a decent run at Missouri St. years back.
bobinator
AG
And Martin's first move would likely be to hired Porter. Obviously the Porter family has a lot of ties to Missouri. He could put the Tigers back on the map pretty quickly if all those pieces fell into place.
bobinator
AG
It will be interesting to see what kind of names actually comes up for LSU and maybe Arkansas.

If Oklahoma State doesn't pony up, I'd think Underwood would be a good candidate for the Arkansas job.
mgmgrand
AG
Good chance Cuonzo will have the offer to take the Illinois job. I don't see him choosing Mizzou over Illinois. But it's interesting, as both of those schools are sick of losing the St.Louis kids in recruiting
Topher17
AG
Do we think Arkansas is firing Anderson?
bobinator
AG
It's weird to boil down a whole coaching tenure to a few games, but I think it really depends on if they get into the tournament this year or not. If they don't get in, I'd say the odds are probably in favor of him getting fired.

Though admittedly I don't know their financial situation or what his contract looks like or that sort of thing. This is obviously an outside-looking-in assessment.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/17/nc-state-mark-gottfried-fired-tom-crean-gregg-marshall

There's a lot of pointless meandering in here, but some interesting notes for discussion:

1) He floats the idea of LSU hiring Scott Drew. (And other places hiring Scott Drew) Talk about a megazord of hate...

2) He says coaches like Archie Miller and Chris Mack are unlikely to take the N.C. State job, but then floats Gregg Marshall. Why would he want that job if Miller and Mack don't? He also brings up Tom Crean taking this job, NC State fans would probably burn down the arena if that happened.

3) He likes Cuonzo Martin more than most people seem to...

4) BRAD UNDERWOOD IS ONLY MAKING A MILLION/YR AT OKLAHOMA STATE?!

(Also, Pumpkinhead, I just realized it's the same article your thread was based on, but I think that thread is heading down a different rabbit hole.)

I doubt that Scott will want to be in the same league as his brother. But you know how it goes, $$$ talks.

I was intrigued by the Plan B of Frank Martin heading to NC State. Either way, I don't USCe being as good as they are this year and even then I'm not sold on them going on a deep run in the tourney.

Brad Underwood is an interesting coach. He's having a decent season for his first year and it seems like his team is competitive.

All this is for naught though because BK will be our coach next year. After that, who knows. I'm not a Billy lover as I may seem, I have always cared more about the players. That being said, I think it's very apparent that we lost a lot more than just Caruso, House, and Jones.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Vol fans basically ran Martin out of town despite him going to the Sweet Sixteen his last year there. to the extent that there were 'Bring back Bruce Pearl' initiatives signed by thousands of fans and boosters who refused to let Martin use their private plane for recruiting just to screw with him, and so forth.

Martin took Cal to NCAA last season while Vols have yet to get back there since Martin left. He doesn't seem like a very good bench coach, but he knows how to recruit.
Method Man
No comment on Underwood.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Underwood only making $1M at OSU makes me sad.
mikesyracuse1
Don't be surprised to see LSU go after Stansbury and his suitcase of 4 recruits that will want to follow him wherever he goes if WKU will release them.

Mikesyracuse1
monarch
S
I wouldn't mind have Frank Martin here...Gets more with less talent than 90% of the coaches in America.
Method Man
mikesyracuse1 said:

Don't be surprised to see LSU go after Stansbury and his suitcase of 4 recruits that will want to follow him wherever he goes if WKU will release them.

Mikesyracuse1

No comment on Stansbury
Fonzie Scheme
AG
This thread makes me both sad and angry. I'm downright sangry about the ****show that is Aggie basketball and the cadre of check-writing functional frittatas that keep it in place.
bobinator
AG
We should get paid to do coaching searches.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
Patience, grasshopper.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Sounds like OSU will not hire Gottlieb after he was interviewed last week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.