Hop- Shooters

3,798 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree with most of these posts, but Hogg is/was long past the point where you can still blame him not getting open looks for his shooting. Josh Carter hit his open looks - Hogg doesn't. It's a complete lack of confidence in his shot.
bobinator
AG
Mentality is definitely some of it, but he's also inconsistent with his body when he shoots. About half the time it seems like he's falling one way or another. Again, just basic fundamentals in my opinion.

He has good consistency in his release itself, which is why his shots are almost always pretty close, but it's just keeping his whole body in the same place every time.

Hogg's shot is so close to being awesome that I wouldn't be surprised if he works with a good fundamental shooting coach at some point and just rains threes. But it has to be someone who can be around him during the season also.
Method Man
If only they developed Hogg on where to be on the floor like they did williams...
jml2621
EKG1996 said:

We 240th in the nation in three-point FG % as a team.

We are 263th in the nation in three-point FG % Defense.

Not a good combination.

The only BK team that has ever been ranked in 3FG% under 100 was 2013 with Elston. The KY game alone probably did it.

Before there was a 3 point line or shot clock, BK might have been able to win consistently in high D-1.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Mentality is definitely some of it, but he's also inconsistent with his body when he shoots. About half the time it seems like he's falling one way or another. Again, just basic fundamentals in my opinion.

He has good consistency in his release itself, which is why his shots are almost always pretty close, but it's just keeping his whole body in the same place every time.

Hogg's shot is so close to being awesome that I wouldn't be surprised if he works with a good fundamental shooting coach at some point and just rains threes. But it has to be someone who can be around him during the season also.

The Shot Doctah!
SEBASKETBALLTNR
SEBASKETBALLTNR
Gentlemen , I'm not sure our guys are putting in the work on a daily basis - great shooters embrace the grind of a daily regimen ; 400-500 makes per day should be a norm - many NBA guys get in 600-800 makes per day - if one would ask current and former NBA shooters like Kyle Korver , ray Allen , Mike Miller , wesley person etc - many fans would be surprised at how much repetition is required ; some of our guys have great potential to be efficient 3 point shooters - It looks like the inconsistency/ ineffectiveness with several players is due to lack of time in the gym - consistent repeatable work ethic is the key ! How many of our players get in 400-500 makes a day ? Who is in the gym late at night getting their shots in ? From my information via several internal contacts, fans would be quiet surprised at who your top 3-4 shooters really are and which players are committed to the grind ; also players and coaches need to better recognize their " go to " players in key situations ;
GrayMatter
AG
Hogg hesitates and isn't sure when to drive, spot up for a 3 or pass the ball. Some of that is he is trying to do too much.

He has a natural stroke that is a thing of beauty when he's on.

The elite shooters have this thing called muscle memory and while I don't think there's anything wrong with his mechanics, the issue is between his ears and something that takes experience to master.
SEBASKETBALLTNR
DJ has tremendous potential , but the question is whether he has the drive and will to become an elite shooter/ player ; muscle memory is derived from repetition ; he will get more consistent when he embraces his potential and develops a second to none work ethic
94chem
Shooting the ball is like candy, video games, and cheerleaders. If you don't like the most fun part of the game, you should quit.
Yell Practice
jml2621
TheAngelFlight said:

Quote:

Our shooters are shooting fine. Admon, JC and DJ combined are over 40% which is excellent.

Hogg hasn't shot better than .333 from deep or overall in a month, and even prior to that was incredibly streaky.

He's had several monster games, but has just as many, if not more, where he can't make anything.

He's under .400 overall and at .367 from three.

While neither is bad, that's not what I would consider "excellent." Given his streakiness I would say he's certainly not "excellent."

Injuries and being asked to function as a distributor affected Hogg's shooting adversely..but still

36.7% 3FG 2017 (which is NOT horrible = 55% eFG%)

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.