Odds Kennedy is canned after this season

12,592 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Captain Pablo
PaRappa
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Why some of you have the need to be such "nice guy/gets A&M/goes to church" schills instead of "does he win yes or no" is beyond me
Unfortunately, it isn't us on the board with that line of thinking (for the most part). It is the guys writing the checks. I do think his disease has garnered him way more sympathy and patience than if he didn't have it.

Method Man
I think it may hurt recruiting unless we hire a good recruiter. ALSO I don't GAF if it hurts recruiting.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
That's fair. To each their own, but from my own experience, college basketball is a lot more about the jimmies and joes. (Really this could apply to higher level basketball overall to some degree. I don't think Tyronn Lue is the difference making reason the Cavs won the NBA title, to illustrate my point).

I want the same thing most of us here want, a long-term successful basketball program that does more than visit the Sweet 16 four times in program history. Unfortunately, we don't have the history to sell, so we have to continue to be a hot program to attract the talent needed. I agree Kennedy is not the guy to lead this program long term (and have since year 4), but I want to leave the program in the best shape it can be to set the next guy up for success as best as possible.
mhayden
Scott Drew was telling recruits that you could catch Parkinsons?

Good god some of our fanbase will believe anything they hear... That ranks right up there with the Big 12 schools voting us to win the league so it would embarrass us on our way out.
numetalbizkitaggie
AG
Quote:

"One coach even told [a recruit] that he might catch Parkinson's from being around Billy," Aggies assistant Kyle Keller said. "It was unbelievable. Billy is the nicest guy I've ever come across in this profession. There's not a better, more upstanding person in our business than him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2617194-reviving-texas-am-has-become-a-life-affirming-mission-for-coach-billy-kennedy
Quote:

When rival programs did not hesitate to use Kennedy's Parkinson's diagnosis against him in recruiting, he employed an unconventional strategy to win over players: He challenged them to games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/sports/ncaabasketball/billy-kennedy-texas-am-parkinsons-ncaa-tournament.html?_r=0
Quote:

"They actually did [use Kennedy's Parkinson's diagnosis against Texas A&M]," Robinson said by phone a few minutes after the top-50 prospect committed to Texas A&M just 48 hours following a weekend visit. "But I just kinda brushed it off like, 'Hey, that's part of recruiting. [The other coaches are just] trying to get me to their school.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/alex-robinson-committed-to-am-while-ignoring-negative-recruiting/
Quote:

"I learned a long time ago all is fair in love, war and recruiting, so I'm not surprised people would bring up something about my health," Kennedy said. "There are some insecure assistants in high-profile programs that do whatever they have to do to get a player. But that's not the norm. I don't think most people are that way."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/billy-kennedy-undeterred-foes-using-parkinson-sway-recruits-192918064--ncaab.html
Yeah. You caught me. I ate all that made up info up, free_mhayden.
mhayden
I'm not doubting that coaches negatively recruited based on the Parkinsons (that he wouldn't be A&M HC that long).

Ignoring that nothing in that article points to Drew, I highly doubt any coach told a player that he might catch Parkinsons. That's the kind of quote coming through a mystery recruit to an assistant coach to a crappy blog that was almost assuredly mis-heard or mis-represented.

Dirty recruiting is one thing, but that's just stupid recruiting.
JJxvi
AG
numetalbizkitaggie said:

That's fair. To each their own, but from my own experience, college basketball is a lot more about the jimmies and joes. (Really this could apply to higher level basketball overall to some degree. I don't think Tyronn Lue is the difference making reason the Cavs won the NBA title, to illustrate my point).

I want the same thing most of us here want, a long-term successful basketball program that does more than visit the Sweet 16 four times in program history. Unfortunately, we don't have the history to sell, so we have to continue to be a hot program to attract the talent needed. I agree Kennedy is not the guy to lead this program long term (and have since year 4), but I want to leave the program in the best shape it can be to set the next guy up for success as best as possible.
College basketball is about the coach. In college basketball, the quality of the head coach factor probably has the highest leverage as a factor in success of any sport I can think of off hand. Using an NBA reference, where the dynamic is almost totally reversed doesnt help your point.
GatorAg03
AG
Unfortunately we have the same issues in football and baseball. We are just an incredibly poorly run athletic department. We allow a few big money donors to keep the program mired in mediocrity to the point where we are the most underperforming major college program in NCAA history.

We need to fire the decision makers first. We need to let the AD be in charge of all hires and especially contracts using only SEC money and let big money donors pay to have their names on a building or upgrade facilities or something.

Our current model is completely broken and we are fools for even caring for such a flawed set of circumstances while expecting it to change. We are doomed from the start with our idiotic process.
bobinator
AG
these threads are so exhausting.
Captain Pablo
AG
GatorAg03 said:

Unfortunately we have the same issues in football and baseball. We are just an incredibly poorly run athletic department. We allow a few big money donors to keep the program mired in mediocrity to the point where we are the most underperforming major college program in NCAA history.

We need to fire the decision makers first. We need to let the AD be in charge of all hires and especially contracts using only SEC money and let big money donors pay to have their names on a building or upgrade facilities or something.

Our current model is completely broken and we are fools for even caring for such a flawed set of circumstances while expecting it to change. We are doomed from the start with our idiotic process.
Dude, I agree our system sucks, and the guys making the decisions are about as competent as your average zoo poster, but either BMA's write the checks, or we don't have a program.

That SEC money is for operating expenses, scholarships, and what not

Boosters pay for the coach

GatorAg03
AG
I obviously know that's the model/standard, but I definitely think that any big money donors that want to continue to play pick-a-bust and pay them everything need to front the money for these ridiculous contract buyouts so it's available for a professional AD to use when it goes south.

We are making enough from new SEC revenue that we should be a bit less reliant on a couple moronic donors that we continue to allow to drive us into a ditch with these absurd contacts.
AgsNguyen
AG
Man this thread was depressing to read over. Please god just once let's me be in a big money transaction opposite the guy(s) who made out the BK contact/extension. I promise to take half the money and use it to do good in the world. Just one time let me sit across what must be the dumbest or most charitable people to ever control a multi millionaire purse string.

And on a second note where was this idiot when we were trying to keep the good Billy. Sure we might have negotiated away (by negotiate I mean we just gave the agent whatever he asked for) half the campus and naming rights to Kyle field but atleast we would have avoided the BK curse.
Rocco S
numetalbizkitaggie said:

Rocco S said:

numetalbizkitaggie said:

Not firing Kennedy after this season is not 'accepting mediocrity.' Our AD firing the 2016 SEC Coach of the Year and Conference Co-Champion coach would be suicidal. If you want to completely tank recruiting for the next 3 years, that's one way to do it, (and our ability to hire a coach worth a crap too while we're at it).

A mutual parting of ways or reassignment? Yeah, that can be played off, but calling our AD 'spineless' for not firing Kennedy? Get real.

[Before anyone tries to paint me as a Kennedy defender, that's not what I'm doing at all. I think he's an above average coach, but nothing more than that].

5 of ****ing 6 years have been an abject failure under BK.

Why some of you have the need to be such "nice guy/gets A&M/goes to church" schills instead of "does he win yes or no" is beyond me
When the h*** did I ever say any of that? I have been plenty critical of Kennedy, and do think there are better coaches we could get. My point is, our AD is not going to 'fire' Kennedy. You are not going to see any story about Kennedy being fired. At most, he will be reassigned or encouraged to retire. The reasons he won't be fired publicly like that are exactly what I described in the original post. Are you going to address my points, which have exactly nothing to do with Kennedy's character?
Ok, and what if he says he wants to stay and he's not leaving on his own? Then what? You think Woodward is going to make that call with Sam Torn looking over his shoulder? Yeah right.
Yell Practice
Zero Percent
zooguy96
Who would be some candidates if he steps down at the end of the year?
Captain Pablo
AG
zooguy96 said:

Who would be some candidates if he steps down at the end of the year?

I dunno

Somebody better

AD's problem

That's what he gets paid for ---- in theory

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.