Mark Gottfried goes down

2,736 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WGann3
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
N.C. State is the first school on the market! Odds on who's next? Jones gonna make the end of the season?
LawHall88
AG
I suppose it doesn't matter much, but I don't see the benefit of the lame duck coach situation. Not like they were headed to the Final Four in any event, but this is just communicating to the players that the towel has officially been thrown in.
WGann3
AG
ESPN Insider has Archie Miller as a longshot candidate. I'm going to be pretty sports sad if they land him. NC State has a way better history in hoops than us, but that's a really tough job since you're at best 3rd in the state in basketball royalty with basically zero chance to move up in the pecking order, ever. Would you maybe even put Wake Forest ahead of them? I feel like the last few decades you could even say NC State is 4th in the pecking order in the state.
bobinator
AG
WGann3 said:

ESPN Insider has Archie Miller as a longshot candidate. I'm going to be pretty sports sad if they land him. NC State has a way better history in hoops than us, but that's a really tough job since you're at best 3rd in the state in basketball royalty with basically zero chance to move up in the pecking order, ever. Would you maybe even put Wake Forest ahead of them? I feel like the last few decades you could even say NC State is 4th in the pecking order in the state.
Not for nothing... but aren't we the third best program in our state over the last 20 years or so? Texas and Baylor are clearly better and we're only slightly ahead of Tech.

But does that really matter? NC State is a perfectly good job. Even Gottfried made the tournament every year and I don't think he's anything special, and Duke and UNC recruit nationally so much that it's not like they're taking every kid in North Carolina. You might be third in your own state, but who cares, it's not like they're giving out state championship posters.

Gottfried might be a really good candidate for an open SEC job though...
mikesyracuse1
Yow is an issue at NC State. I've been told that Archie is not interested in the job.

Mikesyracuse1
bobinator
AG
Yeah I'd think she'd be more of an issue than their historical pecking order.
mdanyc03
AG
UNC and Duke don't really get their players from in state so why does it matter that they happen to be in the same state? NC State has a great fan base, much larger than Duke (referring to actual fans locally not bandwagon fans nationally) and regularly sell out a 19,000 seat arena, plenty of talent nearby.

I really don't think there is any ceiling to NC State's potential with the right pieces in place.
jml2621
mdanyc03 said:

UNC and Duke don't really get their players from in state so why does it matter that they happen to be in the same state? NC State has a great fan base, much larger than Duke (referring to actual fans locally not bandwagon fans nationally) and regularly sell out a 19,000 seat arena, plenty of talent nearby.

I really don't think there is any ceiling to NC State's potential with the right pieces in place.

NC State used to be able to mine the DC area and Jersey. Whittenburg was from DeMatha.
jml2621
mikesyracuse1 said:

Yow is an issue at NC State. I've been told that Archie is not interested in the job.

Mikesyracuse1

Those two sentences are definitely related,
JJxvi
AG
Imagine the meltdown here if like Alex Caruso was a head coach out there taking some midmajor to multiple NCAAs and an elite 8 and then he just stone cold turned down our job...is that really what's gonna happen to NC State?
FTAG 2000
AG
Don't they know they need to give him another six years since his last tourney appearance before they think about canning him?

WGann3
AG
@bob and mdancy

I think you guys took my comment as way more of a recruiting fueled comment than I meant it to be. Recruiting the state of North Carolina really didn't even cross my mind when I said what I said about it being a tough job. I meant it to mean more along the lines of competing in the shadow of and right down the road from those two basketball blue bloods has to be difficult. I would think that fan base is pretty starved to consistently be at least close to the level their neighbors are on and that has to put a ton of pressure on whoever the coach is to succeed and fast.

EDIT: Just an edit to add in that I think NC State is a pretty nice job with some really good resources, even if they are the 3rd or 4th best program in their state (I admit, that was a pretty silly way to try and get my point across originally). I wasn't trying to bash on them.
94chem
Their arena seats 20,000. Pretty sure they expect big time basketball every year.
bobinator
AG
To me NC State basketball is probably like our football job. It feels like it should be better than what the results have been, all of the pieces are there for it to be a big time program, it has more successful programs all around it, etc, etc.

Both just need the right coach and they could become powerhouses, but they haven't quite been able to find once since the '80s.
WGann3
AG
bobinator said:

To me NC State basketball is probably like our football job. It feels like it should be better than what the results have been, all of the pieces are there for it to be a big time program, it has more successful programs all around it, etc, etc.

Both just need the right coach and they could become powerhouses, but they haven't quite been able to find once since the '80s.
Now this I totally agree with, pretty solid comparison.
WGann3
AG
Oh and bob, were you referring to anyone in particular that Gottfried would be a really good candidate for?
bobinator
AG
Not really, potentially a few different places depending on what jobs come open.
JJxvi
AG
Gottfried is a solid coach, but doesn't have the high ceiling that you hope for.
LawHall88
AG
JJxvi said:

Gottfried is a solid coach, but doesn't have the high ceiling that you hope for.
Also, some of the criticism this year about Gottfried is he has a one and done lottery pick on the roster and still can't win enough games to make the tourney, which sounds familiar...
mikesyracuse1
LawHall88 said:

JJxvi said:

Also, some of the criticism this year about Gottfried is he has a one and done lottery pick on the roster and still can't win enough games to make the tourney, which sounds familiar...

Gottfried is not known as a good floor coach.

Mikesyracuse1
TheAngelFlight
LawHall88 said:

JJxvi said:

He's made how many tournaments in his career? Enough to have 11 tournament wins by my count.

If we've learned anything in the one-and-done era, they very often don't equate to a lot of wins, no matter who the coach is.
TheAngelFlight
NC State was not in good health when Gottfried took over. Their previous coach, Sidney Lowe, was no good. Gottfried made NC State a factor again in the tough ACC.

He could restore some pride at A&M too.

He's not great, but he's good enough.
TheAngelFlight
bobinator said:

Maybe both A&M football and NC State basketball should CHEAT again like they did in the 80s.
WGann3
AG
Rivals pretty much had our exact same discussion about whether NC State is a good job or not:

Is NC State a good coaching job?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.