NIT Bracketology

17,272 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by _lefraud_
bodine7311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well we're in this. http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/
mhayden
superdales
AG
some pretty big names in that bracket. wouldn't be terrible.
bobinator
AG
Having to go to Tech for the NIT would be a perfect end to this season tbh.
Yell Practice
1. VCU
8. Charleston
4. Texas Tech
5. Texas A&M
3. Seton Hall
6. Auburn
2. Syracuse
7. Ole Miss

Yell Practice
Pretty Solid Group---
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
i would like to see us match up against TCU...for obvious reasons.

However, I'm not certain we land in the NIT yet. we still have a lot of games to lose.
Vepp
Shaka in the CBI. Must see TV.
mhayden
TST said:

i would like to see us match up against TCU...for obvious reasons.

However, I'm not certain we land in the NIT yet. we still have a lot of games to lose.

I don't think we'd be the only "however" in that situation -- at this point TCU is dancing in the NCAA unless they hit a major skid.
bobinator
AG
You keep acting like TCU has an incredible resume. They're best wins are over RPI #31 (Illinois State), 43 (Iowa State) and 46 (Kansas State) and other than that they've only beaten one other team inside the RPI top 100 (#76 Arkansas State). That's one more top 100 win than we have, three of them were at home, and none of them are particularly impressive.

They already have seven losses, and still go @Baylor, @Iowa State, @Kansas and host West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

I think they're definitely solidly a bubble team at this point. Now if they go beat Baylor on the road or maybe beat West Virginia then they probably end up on the right side of the bubble, but I think they could miss the tournament even without a "major skid."
mhayden
I don't think I've ever stated they have an incredible resume, but the idea that if they continue to have similar results that we'll meet them in the NIT or that they "will be an interesting case for the committee" is simply misguided at this point.

As of today they have a Top 40 RPI. Top 40 RPI teams from major conferences don't get left out of the tournament. Top 40 RPI teams from major conferences are typically single digit seeds and not even sweating Selection Sunday.

I certainly don't think they are world-beaters, but thus far their resume isn't in the same category as your Texas Techs, Texas A&Ms, Syracuses and the other teams listed above.

If TCU misses the Dance, it's because they dropped a home game to a Texas Tech (tonight) or a Kansas State -- not because they failed to win @Baylor or vs WVU. At this point those games are seed-improvers -- if they take care of business against the bottom half of the conference, they are in without a doubt.
Isaih Smollett
How are we NIT? 1 good win against Va tech. Barely over .500 overall in a lousy conference. RPI in the mid-80s.
Method Man
machine20 said:

How are we NIT? 1 good win against Va tech. Barely over .500 overall in a lousy conference. RPI in the mid-80s.

I don't think we are.
LeFraud
TCU is a hell of a lot closer to making the field of 68 than a&m is making the NIT. TCU needs 4 more wins to make the dance, a&m needs probably 5 wins to make the NIT (and hope no league champs get upset in their respective tournaments)
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

You keep acting like TCU has an incredible resume. They're best wins are over RPI #31 (Illinois State), 43 (Iowa State) and 46 (Kansas State) and other than that they've only beaten one other team inside the RPI top 100 (#76 Arkansas State). That's one more top 100 win than we have, three of them were at home, and none of them are particularly impressive.

They already have seven losses, and still go @Baylor, @Iowa State, @Kansas and host West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

I think they're definitely solidly a bubble team at this point. Now if they go beat Baylor on the road or maybe beat West Virginia then they probably end up on the right side of the bubble, but I think they could miss the tournament even without a "major skid."
I was kind of on TCU bandwagon for awhile as maybe actually being truly decent, but then I recently watched the second half of Auburn @ TCU and watched Pearl's team (which has generally played poorly this season) blow them away on the Frogs own home court (Auburn was up by 20+ points mid-way through second half before Frogs made it a bit more respectable score late).

TCU looked totally outclassed athletically in that game vs. Auburn, who is an NIT bubble team at best this season. Looking at TCU's season thus far, they have 5 conference wins in the Big 12 but three of those wins are vs. really bad teams in Texas and Oklahoma. They did beat Iowa State at home.

Tonights game looks really important for them. Their next 6 games are vs. Texas Tech, @Baylor, Oklahoma State, @Iowa State, @Kansas, West Virginia. They lose tonight, then they could be looking at a real possibility of a 6-game losing skid. Texas Tech at home is a game they should win.
Gap
AG
Tennessee and Arkansas have a higher RPI than TCU. They are having a decent season to date, but are no lock even without a major skid. A home loss to Texas Tech tonight would really hurt them badly.
mhayden
You can downplay the subsets of their resume all youd like, but if TCU wins 20 games they have no chance of being left out of the dance.
TMartin
The last time A&M was in the NIT I believe all that it accomplished was revenue lost.
AggieTFA06
AG
Before the season began, I knew we were an NIT team. I've managed my expectations.

I would actually be ok with an NIT invite.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
jml2621
WGAF
bobinator
AG
Clearly we all do bud...
LawHall88
AG
free_mhayden said:

You can downplay the subsets of their resume all youd like, but if TCU wins 20 games they have no chance of being left out of the dance.

Dixon has done a great job, but TCU played a weak non-conference schedule and still may finish under .500 in conference. Finishing with 20 wins would leave them on the bubble. Tonight is a huge game for them. They are up 1 with 27 seconds left.
mhayden
LawHall88 said:

free_mhayden said:

Dixon has done a great job, but TCU played a weak non-conference schedule and still may finish under .500 in conference. Finishing with 20 wins would leave them on the bubble. Tonight is a huge game for them. They are up 1 with 27 seconds left.

TCU has a Top 40 SOS with games @Baylor and @Kansas left.

If they win 20 they are in. Possibly as a single digit seed depending on which games they win.
Baby Billy
AG
I heard Logan Lee on the radio this afternoon saying that A&M can still make the tournament..... yes the NCAA tournament. By going 5-3 or 6-2 down the stretch with a win over Florida or Kentucky and winning a couple games in the SEC tourney.

Sure
bobinator
AG
Unless they beat KU, Baylor or West Virginia TCU will definitely be on the bubble if they're 20-13.
Method Man
Huell Babineaux said:

I heard Logan Lee on the radio this afternoon saying that A&M can still make the tournament..... yes the NCAA tournament. By going 5-3 or 6-2 down the stretch with a win over Florida or Kentucky and winning a couple games in the SEC tourney.

Sure
miller0926
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Sure
Ummmmm ya, a 9-9 SEC record won't even put us on the bubble.
LawHall88
AG
bobinator said:

Unless they beat KU, Baylor or West Virginia TCU will definitely be on the bubble if they're 20-13.
Yep. 20 wins means they finish 8-10 in conference and lose their only Big 12 tournament game. Maybe that still gets them in based on the strength of the conference, but no way would they be considered a lock.

That said, I bet they get to 22-23 wins, which will get them in.
mhayden
bobinator said:

The worst TCU can be with 20 wins is 20-12.

One Big 12 team in the last decade with a Top 50 SOS has won 20 games and been left out of the tournament Colorado in '10-'11.

*The Big 12 was rated the 3rd best conference that season. This year it's trending like it will be #1.

*Colorado also had an RPI of 65 that year -- with 20 wins, TCU's will be Top 45.

*Colorado also sported a non-conference schedule with 6 300+ RPI opponents (and a 7th that was at 294). TCU had 1.

*Colorado also suffered losses to 3 100+ RPI opponents. TCU has 0 with only one more regular season opportunity (@OU).

All of that, and Colorado was still one of the "first four out" of the NCAA Tournament and a #1 seed in the NIT.

I'm not high on TCU as that great of a team (I actually said that they'd possibly lose to Auburn last week when a few were saying it was in the "likely B12 win" category), but if you think:

20-12
1st or 2nd best conference in the nation
Top 45ish RPI
Top 50ish SOS

is going to possibly get left out of the tournament then I suggest you do some research on tournament history because it.aint.gonna.happen.

If they reach 20 wins, it's a lock. Anyone who'd like to throw down some cash on the other side of that wager, I'll gladly take your money.
jml2621
bobinator said:

Clearly we all do bud...
I would...

...if it were 1947.
sharpdressedman
NIT = gigantic losers' bracket. BB prostitution.
fightinag
bobinator said:

Having to go to Tech for the NIT would be a perfect end to this season tbh.
Gettng an arse kicking in Lubbock is not my idea of a way Id like to end the season but that's what would happen
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
fightinag
Huell Babineaux said:

Sure
When monkeys fly outta my butt !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
TMartin
This team in the NCAA Tournament would not be a good thing for A&M basketball when they get beat by 25 by some directional school.
bobinator
AG
Calm down bud, nobody is saying they won't be in, but without a win over one of those teams, if they go one-and-done in the Big 12 Tourney they'll be sweating it out a bit in the final days. That's the definition of "on the bubble."
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.