March is Defined By...

1,651 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jml2621
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll just leave this here...

bobinator
AG
Then why do we suck in January?
WGann3
AG
I think it's fair to say that list is pretty dang long at this point. I just thought I'd throw some salt in the wounds of our point guard situation.
bobinator
AG
I was just going for the low hanging fruit there, but for more serious discussion, I'm not sure March is defined by point guard play anymore than the rest of the season is. I also don't know why it has to be specific to point guards, but all of basketball is defined by guard play, so obviously March is. Would be like a story saying the College Football Playoff is defined by offensive and defensive lines.
WGann3
AG
Hell, I think we're a case study this season on how much guard play can derail a season. I think flat out horrible point guard play in particular is making everyone on this team play at a level a notch lower than they're capable of just because everyone is having to play out of their element to try and cover for that black hole of a position. I'm convinced we'd be 4-5 wins better at this point in the season with just average to above-average point guard play.

OU has had a similarly terrible season (8-9 overall so far) but they just snuck up and beat a solid Tech team at home and West Virginia on the road thanks to some killer play from their point guard Jordan Woodard. OU lost as much, if not more, from last year as we did and they managed to pull off a win @ a West Virginia team that I fully expect to beat us by 20+ at this point. OU isn't good at all, but hot point/scoring guards can make that big of a difference. They just went through an 0-4 stretch without him fwiw.
Method Man
Kennedy is a bad coach.
Method Man
Also just a little flawed thinking. Yes guards matter. The best PG in our conference didn't make it past the round of 32 and had another NBA player with him.

The champs didn't have a "true" PG or maybe they did.
Serious Lee
West virginia made the final four with 2 below average guards. it can be done, but not with youth AND bad coaching.
Method Man
How about not losing every game even against bad teams?
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm afraid that our March is going to be defined by us whining about why our coach can't be as good as others and why our players can't play or hustle as well as others.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
GrayMatter
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

I'm afraid that our March is going to be defined by us whining about why our coach can't be as good as others and why our players can't play or hustle as well as others.

Oh you know thats just not the texag way. We love to batter ourselves into thinking we know more about college hoops than our coaches.

The truth is that one thing we all can agree on is that we all want Aggie basketball to succeed. The thing we all disagree on is the steps that need to be taken to accomplish just that.
Method Man
We discuss what's acceptable and not. We don't necessarily know more than coaches, but that's not the point. You don't know how to be a chef but you know when the food isn't good.
bobinator
AG
Method Man said:

You don't know how to be a chef but you know when the food isn't good.
This needs more stars.
jml2621
AggieTFA06 said:

or whining about whining.
jml2621
Method Man said:

We discuss what's acceptable and not. We don't necessarily know more than coaches, but that's not the point. You don't know how to be a chef but you know when the food isn't good.
Plus there are these things like WON-LOSS record, statistics, advanced metrics...
jml2621
Method Man said:

Also just a little flawed thinking. Yes guards matter. The best PG in our conference didn't make it past the round of 32 and had another NBA player with him.

The champs didn't have a "true" PG or maybe they did.

Steph Curry is a combo guard more than a traditional PG.

Duke's 2010 NC team had no PG.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.