Article from DMN, i.e. Hogg and BK

4,393 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Collective
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So many of you were saying before the season, correctly, was that as Hogg goes, so will the team go. Now, yes, other weaknesses have shown up that no one here knew about such as having to us a non-scholarship player as a starter because of a mistake made 2 years ago. Anyway, here's what the DMN says about it this morning:

"D.J. HOGG BEING THE GUY IN CRUNCH TIME WAS THE WRONG DECISION

It was obvious D.J. Hogg was the go-to guy down the stretch. Although he got to the line on two separate occasions at the end, it was the wrong decision by Billy Kennedy. Three other players were better options.
Hogg's miss on the second-to-last possession was not only costly, but terribly drawn up. After wasting a few ticks on the clock, Hogg took a highly contested step back jumper. It was certainly a low-percentage shot.
The play was questionable mostly because Hogg finished 2-for-12 on the night. Meanwhile, Admon Gilder and Tyler Davis combined for 30 points. Robert Williams could've been a solid option as well.
Instead, A&M clearly forced it into Hogg's hands when he was having an off night. A&M's failure to change and react accordingly is a main reason why the team is 2-7 in games decided by 11 points or less."

So, BK did what everyone here thought SHOULD have been done at the beginning of the season. Hogg having an "off night"? You mean ANOTHER off night. No leadership on this team, major lack of quickness from the "big's" line-up and a major lack of skill at PG. But Hogg is still the key that only add to the problems, not over-comes them.
AggieEyes
AG
Hogg should've attacked the rim and dished to Davis or Williams. That's the the smart, high percentage play. If we're gonna shoot jumpers (bad idea) it should've gone to the hotter hand in Gilder. The shot Hogg took was super low percentage.
txag72
AG
As I've said before, I think BK chalked up the year after the Kentucky loss (because he can afford to...see complaints about why BK is still here). Everything since has been "teaching moments" to try to develop something for next year in these guys, particularly Hogg. He's really the only projected starter for next year who is under-performing. And, who knows, maybe this is the year to find out if he IS a starter next year or just a hopefully better Payton Allen role player
PaRappa

Quote:

Everything since has been "teaching moments" to try to develop something for next year in these guys, particularly Hogg.
Except that Kennedy's teaching sucks when Stansbury isn't around to actually do it for him.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
txag72 said:

So many of you were saying before the season, correctly, was that as Hogg goes, so will the team go. Now, yes, other weaknesses have shown up that no one here knew about such as having to us a non-scholarship player as a starter because of a mistake made 2 years ago. Anyway, here's what the DMN says about it this morning:

"D.J. HOGG BEING THE GUY IN CRUNCH TIME WAS THE WRONG DECISION

It was obvious D.J. Hogg was the go-to guy down the stretch. Although he got to the line on two separate occasions at the end, it was the wrong decision by Billy Kennedy. Three other players were better options.
Hogg's miss on the second-to-last possession was not only costly, but terribly drawn up. After wasting a few ticks on the clock, Hogg took a highly contested step back jumper. It was certainly a low-percentage shot.
The play was questionable mostly because Hogg finished 2-for-12 on the night. Meanwhile, Admon Gilder and Tyler Davis combined for 30 points. Robert Williams could've been a solid option as well.
Instead, A&M clearly forced it into Hogg's hands when he was having an off night. A&M's failure to change and react accordingly is a main reason why the team is 2-7 in games decided by 11 points or less."

So, BK did what everyone here thought SHOULD have been done at the beginning of the season. Hogg having an "off night"? You mean ANOTHER off night. No leadership on this team, major lack of quickness from the "big's" line-up and a major lack of skill at PG. But Hogg is still the key that only add to the problems, not over-comes them.

last night - you go with Davis. A coach has to realize that the 2-12 guy does not have the hot hand.

Spiritofaggieland
AG
txag72 said:

As I've said before, I think BK chalked up the year after the Kentucky loss (because he can afford to...see complaints about why BK is still here). Everything since has been "teaching moments" to try to develop something for next year in these guys, particularly Hogg. He's really the only projected starter for next year who is under-performing. And, who knows, maybe this is the year to find out if he IS a starter next year or just a hopefully better Payton Allen role player
This post redefines dumb for me.

How about some instruction instead?

Where are the teaching moments when the fundamentals our our top 6 players are eroding from the beginning of December until now?

BK simply can't coach high level NCAA basketball without training wheels or Stansbury.

The notion that BK just needs to impart his system is laughable. After the year 1 dumpster fire, he had plenty of time...and then year 2 was a dumpster fire and year 3 a small brush fire.

Year 4 - we got on a roll, but then I noticed after the Vandy game BK seemed to take the team away from Rick Stansbury. Last year seemed like a team effort.
jagged
AG
Wasn't able to watch last night (thankfully I guess) but from watching the rest of the season I would say gilder or Davis should have the ball in crunch time. Hogg has had one good game I can recall this season where he was really on. He can't even shoot free throws for ****s sake.

Early in the game we need to feature Williams a bit more, clear some space for him when has a good matchup. His athleticism has proven ustoppable without double team. I would stop short of him doing crunch time work until he gets a little more polish and experience though.
wacarnolds
AG
Admon had the hit hand last night, should have had the ball the last possession.

Don't like going to Williams in crunch time, he's just too careless with the ball. And Hogg was not good last night (although the FTs were nice to see), so I don't know why we let him play hero ball at the end.
HirschfeldAg
Shoulda overloaded right side with a high post let Williams screen and roll backside and Hogg throw the ball anywhere near the Rim and let Williams jump over everyone
Method Man
AggieEyes said:

Hogg should've attacked the rim and dished to Davis or Williams. That's the the smart, high percentage play. If we're gonna shoot jumpers (bad idea) it should've gone to the hotter hand in Gilder. The shot Hogg took was super low percentage.

Coach needed to call a TO when the Arky player went for FTs to set up both scenarios.
TXAggie2011
AG
Link?
WoodAg
Have heard that the plan was to go down low. What happened was not what was drawn up. Lack of discipline.
PaRappa

Quote:

Lack of discipline.
It is year six. That falls totally on the HC at this point. No excuses. Same thing with personnel issues.
WoodAg
Was not making an excuse. Stating an opinion that would be hard to refute. Another opinion - you are correct.
PaRappa
If you are trying to blame a lack of discipline on anything other than the HC at this point. It is an excuse.
Method Man
He wasnt
WoodAg
Nope.
Lack of discipline falls squarely on the head coach. Although, I would say that Hogg has to accept some responsibility as well.
I will not blame the head coach for the plan coming out of the timeout. Seemed to be solid. What is not solid is the execution of it. A disciplined team will leave the timeout and do what the coach said (if at all possible). We do not do that.
The fact that a player feels he can go off script and take a 19 foot step back jumper with 14 seconds on the clock is a problem.
PaRappa

Quote:

Nope.

Lack of discipline falls squarely on the head coach. Although, I would say that Hogg has to accept some responsibility as well.
Agree. I misunderstood your point but it gets tiring to hear Kennedy defenders (not that you are one) continuously try to put our struggles in year six on anything other than the HC.

For all the crap Sumlin and Childress get (and I think a fair amount of it is deserved), no current coach in the big 3 at A&M has done a poorer overall job than Kennedy. It really isn't even close.
Creekisrising
edit: Easier to edit it all than to clean it up. Sorry.
greg.w.h
AG
In the for what it's worth category, BZ said BK took responsibility at the press conference last night for the lack of discipline. Now there is a difference between saying you take responsibility and acknowledging your responsibility and making changes. But at least he's on record that not even Woodward can overlook.

Creekisrising
Hard to argue with any of that quote. Let's see it.
txag72
AG
Quote:

This post redefines dumb for me.
You're totally missing the point. The point is not what I would do or you would do to WIN THAT GAME. The point is that BK is doing what he thinks we SHOULD be able to do to win that game, if not next year, then next year. And if the players fail this year, then he knows that much more going into next year.

This is not a defense of that strategy, this year's season, or our last night's game. This year's season is a bust, plain and simple. Just saying you might as well be looking at it from that/his perspective or none of the rest of the season is going to make sense to you. And the only reason you should care is because he WILL be here next year if he wants to be.
Method Man
No Aggie team under Kennedy has been disciplined.
mnuge
AG
nm
Aston04
AG
Nm
mikesyracuse1
mnuge said:

Can't believe I'm going to post, but here it goes...

Have to take exception with some of your post, shot. I too hoped the LSU game would be a turnaround, but the off the court discipline comment you made is more than troubling to me.

My son is a walkon (which means most of y'all hate him automatically - that's fine - and, yes, I realize hate is strong word....just go with it). He is the one who did not travel last weekend. He does not know exactly why but he didn't go.
I assure you the reason is NOT some disciplinary reason. If another player was suspended for off the court actions it was NOT the player who stayed home.

Don't want to overreact but it seemed to imply the kid who did not travel was a locker room issue and that is not the case.

If I am misreading/misinterpreting please allow a little grace to a dad.

Your not helping your son by posting this on a public forum.

Mikesyracuse1
Method Man
You think Aggies hate walkons? Just have your kid act like a goober and fight his way into every team pic and he will be BMOC.
mnuge
AG
mike
I have been away from the computer and just saw that he deleted his post. I appreciate that.

Not sure what I said that was anti-coaches or program. A poster implied (again, now deleted) that a player who was left behind was being disciplined. It's not the first time I heard that. I was told yesterday it was out "there". Not my son's name, but the rumor of discipline for the player who stayed home. My son was the only one who did.

I talked to a coach to confirm it was inaccurate. He told me it was. Again, I know they would call if it was.

He actually told me to refute it but I did not know what board ( I knew it was not texags)it was on and I was in the car. I let it go.

As far as not "communicating" with him about traveling - that is in NO way meant as a slight. I look at it as not getting the whole story from him:
"What did you do at school today?"
"Nothing."

Also - he is owed NOTHING in that area. He knows ANYTHING he gets is extra. He was told he would most likely never play, travel or suit out. He's done all of that first year.

As far as my comment about walk-ons on here.....sarcasm does not translate well always

I will GLADLY delete every one of my posts but do not want to do that and leave others who have responded up for some to wonder what I wrote. If those are deleted I will do so gladly....again, not sure what I said that was negative for my son. LAST thing I want is for him to be in the middle of garbage like this.

Any need to contact me, please do so at mike@brazosrunning.com

EDIT - only keeping this up as a response to mikesyracuse...deleted other post but it remains up in his post
Aston04
AG
Good post.
Creekisrising
email sent. truly sorry.
Ulrich
BRIAN BLACKBURN FOREVER!
PatAg
AG
cwood15 said:

Have heard that the plan was to go down low. What happened was not what was drawn up. Lack of discipline.
I call bull****
jml2621
greg.w.h said:

In the for what it's worth category, BZ said BK took responsibility at the press conference last night for the lack of discipline. Now there is a difference between saying you take responsibility and acknowledging your responsibility and making changes. But at least he's on record that not even Woodward can overlook.

Could be the reason for the change in tune.

The BK situation is challenging.

Tangentially related, the Sumlin situation is not...challenging that is...it's a matter of willpower and getting it done. We don't want to deal with turning over both coaches next year. A&M's budget is going to be much tighter due to O&G slump and Gov Abbott tax give aways. BMAs wallets will be tighter.

A splash replacement as CFB HC (Kelly, Petersen) with maybe Kubiak as DC...would loosen up capital flow. this would make it much easier to "reassign" BK and take care of all involved. Just sayin'
Method Man
How many times have we taken a bad shot to win a game and lost vs won?

bobinator
AG
Can we refocus on how strange it is that the DMN of all places is putting out actual commentary on coaching decisions? Good for them
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.