Should we care?

1,880 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FTAG 2000
DoubleOEight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of course...we care about winning, we care about our school, we care about these young men?

But how do we get the attention of the AD if we seem to think there is any hope for this team with BK as HC.
CapCityAg89
AG
That's not my job. I'm just going to root for the team and enjoy the hell out of watching Robert Williams play basketball for A&M as long as I can.
Method Man
No we shouldn't like 99% of Aggies. We do though.
Steeple
I care for these kids; I know how hard that they work and what they put into it. They deserve better leadership.
Maroon Dawn
AG
All the AD and BMAs cares about in basketball is season ticket sales and nothing else, actual performance included.

You want to send a message they will listen to? Don't renew and tell them exactly why
Complete Idiot
The man in charge of Texas A&M athletics wants to play Texas in football, wants the Arkansas football series played on campus and wants state-of-the-art facilities for all sports.

He does not, however, want Aggie fans to manage expectations.

In fact, Scott Woodward invites grandiose expectations because he has them, as well.

"Frankly, my expectations are just like theirs," Woodward said. "We're here to win championships, to do it the best way we can and to do it the right way."
greg.w.h
AG
Now you've gone and done it: you've made Woodward sound like a politician...
PaRappa
Complete Idiot said:

The man in charge of Texas A&M athletics wants to play Texas in football, wants the Arkansas football series played on campus and wants state-of-the-art facilities for all sports.

In fact, Scott Woodward invites grandiose expectations because he has them, as well.

"Frankly, my expectations are just like theirs," Woodward said. "We're here to win championships, to do it the best way we can and to do it the right way."
The AD cannot do anything about BMAs who love to reward mediocre and bad coaches with ridiculous contracts because they are friends with said coaches and/or because they feel sorry for them.

I have no doubt Woodward would do a better job of managing the football and basketball program better than the BMAs if left up to his own devices but that is not going to happen.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Quote:

We'll find out pretty quickly if he's full of crap or not. He's got about 2 months to figure out his shortlist.
Rocco S
PaRappa said:

Complete Idiot said:

The AD cannot do anything about BMAs who love to reward mediocre and bad coaches with ridiculous contracts because they are friends with said coaches and/or because they feel sorry for them.

I have no doubt Woodward would do a better job of managing the football and basketball program better than the BMAs if left up to his own devices but that is not going to happen.
This is unfortunately spot on. After mediocre football and basketball seasons, and what looks like an upcoming mediocre baseball season, we'll see how much power Woodward really has. We have enough cash now we shouldn't be worried about keeping a few donors happy by letting them have way too much influence.
Aston04
AG
The difference between basketball vs. baseball/football... In basketball, it is plainly obvious our coach is clueless on the sideline. Whenever the huddle gets miked up, rarely if I hear anything other than general rah rah. He does not show an attention to detail or ability to coach his players from the sideline during a game. And this is AFTER he spends the first 10 of so seconds of most timeouts consulting with other coaches on what to say. He is just not a good fit as head coach. He'd make a good assistant- because he can recruit.

In football, while I have my doubts about Sumlin's coaching ability, it's not as obvious he's clueless like BK during each game (sport doesn't make it as obvious what's going on (or not) coaching-wise during games)..

Baseball, I think we have a very capable coach, but he seems to get his kids too tight during May.

We got BK on the cheap. When you get coaches on the cheap, you give them a short lease and keep hiring/firing until you strike gold. We did it completely wrong. We went long on a guy, we got on the cheap, that had quickly proven himself inept at coaching major basketball.
PaRappa
Kennedy is a much bigger failure and problem than either Sumlin or Childress at this point. One NCAA appearance, no matter if it was a Sweet 16, in six years is awful. He will likely only have one NCAA and NIT appearance in six years here. To achieve that he required a superior former HC on the bench to cover for his coaching deficiencies, and a ridiculous amount of experience and talent by A&M standards. Considering the how the two previous HCs were able to keep this program in meaningful postseason play annually, that is terrible.

Kennedy is a much more actively poor coach than Sumlin or Childress.
Sam Moss
Sam Moss
Yes
txag72
AG
Quote:

You want to send a message they will listen to? Don't renew and tell them exactly why
Uhm, probably not going to happen with maybe the most talented team ever on the court next year.
Complete Idiot
PaRappa said:

Complete Idiot said:

Is that true? Completely powerless? No ability to sell his point of view through logic or charisma would have any impact on the Athletic Department salaries? No veto power? Just an observer?
JJxvi
AG
Expect a couple unexpected transfers from your "most talented team ever" next year.
jml2621
JJxvi said:

Expect a couple unexpected transfers from your "most talented team ever" next year.

Yes.

Drain the swamp.

Kennedy, Sumlin, Childress gone.

Do it.
FTAG 2000
AG
The problem is a lot of people care, but also have realized that there's a little clique of buddy donors that Kennedy continues to snow job, and thus no one's opinions matter unless they have a couple million laying around to override said Kennedy buddies.

TangoMike
txag72 said:

Quote:

Uhm, probably not going to happen with maybe the most talented team ever on the court next year.
It's hard to agree with "most talented team ever".

2000 - Jerald Brown, Bernard King
2003 - Bernard King, Antoine Wright
2005 - Antoine Wright, Acie Law, Joe Jones
2007 - Acie Law, Joe Jones, Antanas Kavaliauskas
2008 - Donald Sloan, DeAndre Jordan, Joe Jones, Bryan Davis, Derrick Roland, Josh Carter
2010 - Donald Sloan, Bryan Davis, Derrick Roland, David Loubeau, Khris Middleton
2012 - David Loubeau, Khris Middleton, Elston Turner
2016 - Alex Caruso, Danuel House, Jalen Jones, Tyler Davis, DJ Hogg, Admon Gilder

And as for the "the talent is coming!" arguments, this list doesn't even include the "savior, just what we need" players that didn't produce (or were run off):
Antwan Space, Elijah Thomas, J'Mychal Reese, Peyton Allen, Alex Robinson, Jamal Jones, Daniel Alexander, Keith Davis, Andrew Young, Jamal Branch, Naji Hibbert, Dash Harris, Denzel Bowles, Marcus Watkins
FTAG 2000
AG
The talent coming argument is largely used by Kennedy defenders to justify his sorry a-- getting another year. It's disgusting and weak. We're six years in, this is his team, his recruits. All of it is his to own.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.