Coach Kennedy

4,398 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PaRappa
Class of 65
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guaranteed (during an interview ) that we would make the NCAA tournament in 2017.
Not sure if it was on 1150 or ESPN
TangoMike
He made that guarantee at the end of 2015; I don't remember him making that guarantee a second time
AggieEyes
AG
I'm sure he meant for 2017-18. Saw this coming a mile away. Where's method man??
Aston04
AG
Guy is snake oil salesman. Knows exactly how to manipulate powers that be to give him indefinite time here... despite little coaching skill and mediocre results.
Dr. Mike 69
AG
Billy Clyde, we forgive you, Come on back.
Method Man
AggieEyes said:

I'm sure he meant for 2017-18. Saw this coming a mile away. Where's method man??

We will make it, underachieve, and the maroonbloods will say "see? He's good", when in fact he's lousy.
Vepp
Aston04 said:

Guy is snake oil salesman. Knows exactly how to manipulate powers that be to give him indefinite time here... despite little coaching skill and mediocre results.
But... soft spoken, church going, parkinsons, terrible leadership... These traits don't make a good coach?
millertime40
Why do coaches get paid so much to coach, when ummmm they are not any good at actually coaching. How does one get this far in coaching when they are this bad. I am seriously thinking about throwing my hat in the ring if this is the best we can get.
AnalogyAg
the kennedy experiment is over. it was a failure. please let's flip the page.
jml2621
AnalogyAg said:

the kennedy experiment is over. it was a failure. please let's flip the page.

Yeah, I give up. Without a stellar Associate Head Coach like Rick Stansbury, BK is simply not capable of coaching at a high D-1 level, despite very good talent. Four top 50-100 players including a future Lotto pick + role players is a Top 25 squad, and an NCAAT invitee. Period.

The devolution of the team in the last 40 days is extraordinary...like losing at least a year of experience. The leadership void starts at the top.
jml2621
Tribe2013 said:

He made that guarantee at the end of 2015; I don't remember him making that guarantee a second time

Doesn't matter. The Athletic Department has shown repeatedly that accountability is moot re: football and MBB.

cedar
Needs to be fired immediately. Total waste of talent.
TangoMike
jml2621 said:

Tribe2013 said:

Doesn't matter. The Athletic Department has shown repeatedly that accountability is moot re: football and MBB.

yeah I agree with that. trust me, I'm no Kennedy fan. I was a regular here until my old username got banned for mocking the recruiting world
Method Man
millertime40 said:

Why do coaches get paid so much to coach, when ummmm they are not any good at actually coaching. How does one get this far in coaching when they are this bad. I am seriously thinking about throwing my hat in the ring if this is the best we can get.

Well he was in a good spot at a low major and we took him away from that because he sold Byrne on never leaving. Well he sucks and he will never leave.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Was it Steve Alford that said we would be a top 25 team at some point this year?
AggieEyes
AG
Yes. The team that played UCLA and VA Tech would be a top 25 team. The talent is there. We should've beaten both USCs and Arkansas (all choke jobs).

Kennedy has proved without fail he does not know how to prepare his team or coach during the game. He's been an atrocious hire.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
The last play last night was the epitome of BK ball. Had called a time out so you would think something other than "whoever gets the ball, dribble as fast as you can and chunk up a desperation heave" would have been executed.

In his interview BK indicated that's not what they talked about in the huddle (good). But 1) I've seen that time and time again and 2) By this point in the season you should more discipline from your team.

TangoMike
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

The last play last night was the epitome of BK ball. Had called a time out so you would think something other than "whoever gets the ball, dribble as fast as you can and chunk up a desperation heave" would have been executed.

In his interview BK indicated that's not what they talked about in the huddle (good). But 1) I've seen that time and time again and 2) By this point in the season you should more discipline from your team.

I guess Kennedy didn't know the mic was on during the last huddle. Well, actually, he didn't talk about making a desperation heave... he didn't actually talk about anything
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
He said in his post game comments they were supposed to get the ball inside. I don't know what he really said. All I know is that his team didn't give winning that game a serious effort.
damoo80
I really never understand why you would use your last time out like that. You tell players to get rebound and get to have court and call time out. At least have a chance with 1 or 2 seconds to inbound for a decent shot.
jeffdjohnson
EAD 65 said:

Guaranteed (during an interview ) that we would make the NCAA tournament in 2017.
Not sure if it was on 1150 or ESPN

Was this comment made after the game last night? I remember Kennedy making a similar prediction last year.

I also remember Kennedy hiring a better head coach to "assist" in coaching the team last year. That would be like convincing your boss to hire another employee to do your job, then taking credit for their work. Then inexplicably getting a 7M buyout.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Was it Steve Alford that said we would be a top 25 team at some point this year?

We were. The team retained some of what Stansbury taught them last year.

Now, it's gone.
chick79
AG
I got to think his health is a contributing factor. I wish he would step down for health reasons. We could negotiate a buyout where he would not have to worry about working ever again and covering his medical expenses. It's obvious Stansbury was the reason for success last year. Bottom line, BK has to go.
Hickory High
AG
Is it REALLY a sure thing we make the tournament next year? Williams is probably gonna go pro, and I doubt we convince all three of our sophomores to stick around (transfer or draft). We'll also be relying on a core of freshmen and sophomores again, which according to some on this board can't be expected to do anything.
brotheraggie
Tough season so far!!
FTAG 2000
AG
Hickory High said:

Is it REALLY a sure thing we make the tournament next year? Williams is probably gonna go pro, and I doubt we convince all three of our sophomores to stick around (transfer or draft). We'll also be relying on a core of freshmen and sophomores again, which according to some on this board can't be expected to do anything.

Not just this board, Billy said in an interview in the last week that the kids need to get older before they develop good practice habits.

Yes, our coach said that.

Method Man
chick79 said:

I got to think his health is a contributing factor. I wish he would step down for health reasons. We could negotiate a buyout where he would not have to worry about working ever again and covering his medical expenses. It's obvious Stansbury was the reason for success last year. Bottom line, BK has to go.

He isn't good health or otherwise.
Rocco S
Next year has a chance to be special as long as BK isn't a part of it
brotheraggie
brotheraggie
PaRappa
Method Man said:

chick79 said:

He isn't good health or otherwise.
He is not in good health. Despite public proclamations, the Parkinsons has gotten tougher to manage, and this job does not help it. I do think it affects his coaching, even though he was never particularly great coach to begin in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.