Possible candidates after Kennedy is done

13,557 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by deh40
LeFraud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Granted we are talking for the 2018-2019 season (at the earliest) unless of course Kennedy decides to resign/retire or something (not likely).

Also keep in mind these guys may not be available when it's time, but...

Steve Forbes - East Tennessee St
Former assistant under BCG. He looks to be legit, bargain bin but I think he's good.

Buzz Williams - Virginia Tech
Former assistant under BCG. Might be tired of playing in the ACC and would be coming "home". I think he would at least hear it out.

Scott Cross - UT-Arlington
Young, another bargain bin but has shown able to compete with big programs.

Randy Bennett - Saint Mary's
Cali lifer, but who knows, might be up for a change similar to Larranaga at Miami.

Who else?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Boy I was confused. I thought this was about SCOUS justsice Anthony Kennedy.

Admittedly I've been On the Politics board. No idea how I got here.

Well anyway why 2018-19. Why not now?
LeFraud
Probably best to discuss that on a different thread...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
LeFraud said:

Yeah I was asking about our Kennedy. Why not now?
Captain Pablo
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

LeFraud said:

Because he's a good church-going man
Captain Pablo
AG
I believe the earliest we would see a replacement is April of 2018. If you're talking 2019, the coaching landscape will look nothing like it does now.
LeFraud
Yes, like I have in the OP. Kennedy will definitely get 2017-2018.
Aston04
AG
I believe op meant safe until end of 2017-2018... but What's crazy is if by chance our best 4 stay (Hogg-davis-williams-gilder) we are prob a tournament team next year with the help of Caldwell, fish, + another year of seasoning-- in spite of BK's coaching.

If he makes the tourney he is safe, meaning no change until spring 2019 at best (maybe spring 2020 as the ad would prob overlook one bad season if previous season is considered a success). A lot is riding on Williams staying one more year for BK.
Deputy Travis Junior
Zombie Jon Snow said:

LeFraud said:

The new contract he received includes a really high buyout, which suggests that the leadership really, really likes what he's doing. It'll take a few years for that shine to wear off (unless you're the Rams, who fired Fisher just a few months after giving him an extension), and in addition, any upward movement will basically reset the clock.

Next year's roster looks like another that'll make it effectively impossible to miss the dance, so basically he's here as long as he wants to be.
Aston04
AG
That's assuming everyone but trocha stay, correct? I'd say that's 50/50 at this point given the first round grade of Williams.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Buzz Williams or Brad Underwood if he's doing well at Oklahoma State.
Captain Pablo
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

LeFraud said:

The new contract he received includes a really high buyout, which suggests that the leadership really, really likes what he's doing. It'll take a few years for that shine to wear off (unless you're the Rams, who fired Fisher just a few months after giving him an extension), and in addition, any upward movement will basically reset the clock.

Next year's roster looks like another that'll make it effectively impossible to miss the dance, so basically he's here as long as he wants to be.

Not so fast

I contend it is VERY possible to miss the dance next year
Deputy Travis Junior
Aston04 said:

That's assuming everyone but trocha stay, correct? I'd say that's 50/50 at this point given the first round grade of Williams.
My post assumes Trocha stays (not sure why he'd leave) and at least one of Williams and Davis stays. If that happens, we'll be loaded next year and it'd be hard to imagine us missing the dance.
bobinator
AG
AggieSportsGuy said:

Unless there's a factor I'm unaware of, there's probably no way we're hiring the sitting coach at Oklahoma State.
Mikeyshooter
AG
it's easy to say by just looking at the roster. But leadership, toughness, and poise are still very much lacking under BK.
Method Man
AggieSportsGuy said:

No chance we take Underwood from OsU. We had so many good coaches (including Buzz) go to other jobs. Very frustrating.
Method Man
Buzz or Scott Cross. Scott Cross is a rising star.
SilverTongueDevil
Pointless to have this discussion at this time. BK made the sweet 16 last year. Tamu athletic admin approach dictates that he gets minimum 3 more years.

Any decent candidate is just going to use this job as a stepping stone.
Method Man
SilverTongueDevil said:

Pointless to have this discussion at this time. BK made the sweet 16 last year. Tamu athletic admin approach dictates that he gets minimum 3 more years.

Any decent candidate is just going to use this job as a stepping stone.

Loser mentality, but that's what we are I guess.
85AustinAg
AG
Stansbury...
Method Man
85AustinAg said:

Stansbury...

Was told we'd never hire him because he tried to take our recruits. Silly since it's a dog eat dog world.
bobinator
AG
There's no way that's the reason we wouldn't hire him. Im not saying there aren't other reasons, but that isn't one.
Yell Practice
Stansbury -- check his status first.
Yell Practice
It is a shame that BCG is not healthy. The discussion would be interesting.
PatAg
AG
I feel bad for the guy who being diagnosed with Parkinson's, no one wishes any actual will on Kennedy. But it's absolutely the main reason he is still here. We didn't want to be the university that fired a coach for that, even if the actual reason was the play we see on the court.
Aston04
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Aston04 said:

My post assumes Trocha stays (not sure why he'd leave) and at least one of Williams and Davis stays. If that happens, we'll be loaded next year and it'd be hard to imagine us missing the dance.

I'm thinking trocha is off to pro ball somewhere given his age and years already spent in college.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PatAg said:

I feel bad for the guy who being diagnosed with Parkinson's, no one wishes any actual will on Kennedy. But it's absolutely the main reason he is still here. We didn't want to be the university that fired a coach for that, even if the actual reason was the play we see on the court.

We've given more than enough leeway and grace period. Plus we don't have to fire him. Unlikely he will be hired elsewhere so we can transition him to an AD position. Makes it more palatable and the right thing to do.
Method Man
bobinator said:

There's no way that's the reason we wouldn't hire him. Im not saying there aren't other reasons, but that isn't one.

You don't think the guys that are personal friends of Kennedy that have kept him around despite him not being a good HC haven't been told about the multiple bad things Stansbury did to "us" on the way out? Ok.
mhayden
I'd say there's a very good chance Williams is gone. Wouldn't shock me if Trocha is gone. And not going to be surprising to see freshman point guards struggle... So if you're looking for a recipe on how a "tournament lock" next year might miss it, that's it.
Steeple
yes, the excuse next year will be that we have a Freshman point guard.
Deputy Travis Junior
Aston04 said:

I'm thinking trocha is off to pro ball somewhere given his age and years already spent in college.
You think so? I don't think he's ready for pro ball. I'd say his skills aren't where they need to be and he's still way too lightly built.
bobinator
AG
Sure, that's entirely possible. And that would be "other reasons." My point was just that the fact the he started recruiting against us alone isnt a reason.
Gladiator-91
AG
Wasn't Kennedy the coach of the year?
Method Man
bobinator said:

Sure, that's entirely possible. And that would be "other reasons." My point was just that the fact the he started recruiting against us alone isnt a reason.

What would the other reasons be if you HS to guess?
TangoMike
I would be absolutely shocked if a Kennedy didn't buy himself 5 years - regardless of results - last year. Not only did he win the vaunted SEC (most A&M fans seem to believe the SEC must be the best at everything since they've heard of the football programs), but he beat both Texas and Baylor as well

we can still hope though

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.