The Team needs to take Notice..

4,674 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by peace
jeremy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tyler Davis' effort is the expectation for every player.
Too many guys taking plays off. If they'll all fight like Tyler, well be fine.

And if I see Vila turn the ball over and then not run the floor to defend his error one more time, I'm going to lose my mind. Effort, son!!!
CypressAg09
AG
Rebounding
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
How about free throws and defending the three.

And Hogg stepping up and growing a pair....
goodag79
Have to make more free throws. Otherwise it will just be "Hack anyone" during crunch time because the opponent knows we can't shoot them. Frustrating!!!!
Amazing Moves
Hampton should never shoot the ball again.
txag614
There's three constants of the BK era.

1) Can't shoot FT's

2) Can't defend the three

3) No capable PG
Pumpkinhead
AG
txag614 said:

There's three constants of the BK era.

1) Can't shoot FT's

2) Can't defend the three

3) No capable PG

We had 'capable' PG play last season. You don't win 28 games, a conference championship, and a NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance without some decent lead guard play.
Method Man
Agreed pumpkin that bad FT shooting and poor strategy defending the 3pt line persist.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Agreed pumpkin that bad FT shooting and poor strategy defending the 3pt line persist.

Logan has discussed that 3-point thing at times. Apparently Kennedy's preference in man-to-man is often a 'packline defense'. Which by design tries to discourage opponents from penetrating and getting inside the paint, trying to force them instead to try to beat you with outside shooting.

So encouraging opponents to take 3-point shots has apparently often been by design. However, even if playing packline, it is still important that defenders close out hard on shooters.

Last season's team finished #9 nationally in defensive efficiency on Kenpom. Allowing 91.4 points per 100 possessions. That was comparatively 'elite' defense to other programs across the country. I think describing the strategy of defending the 3pt line 'poor' when you finish top-10 in defensive efficiency holds no water.

Do posters realize how HARD it is for a school not named Kentucky to finish first in the SEC since the Calipari era started over there? That is just as impressive as finishing first in SEC West in football with Saban at Bama. I think John Thornton during one of the games mentioned how he felt some Aggie fans don't seem to fully appreciate how impressive that accomplishment last year was. That it didn't seem to really 'sink in' with some of the fan base.

Here are the basketball programs in the SEC who have won a conference championship since calipari came to Kentucky:

2010 Kentucky
2011 Florida
2012 Kentucky
2013 Florida
2014 Florida
2015 Kentucky
2016 Kentucky/Texas A&M

So Billy Donovan and Billy Kennedy have been the only two head basketball coaches thus far to rain on Calipari's parade. That was damn impressive last season what A&M basketball pulled off. I certainly wouldn't hold your breath on any specific SEC coach (whether Pearl, Howland, Avery Johnson, White, whomever) eventually accomplishing what Kennedy accomplished last year. One of them eventually might, but it is damn hard to pull off.
fmp3
Pumpkinhead said:

I think describing the strategy of defending the 3pt line 'poor' when you finish top-10 in defensive efficiency holds no water.

Whoa. Might have to rethink my position.

I was under the impression that the use of common sense was forbidden on this site.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bTW, I read that Miller at Zona prefers to play packline man-to-man as well, but has been reluctantly going to more zone with this year's team. Anyways, i think A&M is going to get its share of open 3-point looks as well in that game. Big Question is, will we make a reasonable number of them.
Method Man
fmp3 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I think describing the strategy of defending the 3pt line 'poor' when you finish top-10 in defensive efficiency holds no water.

I was under the impression that the use of common sense was forbidden on this site.

Do you watch any games? I've said it's not the worst strategy but watch almost any game and you the opponent get good looks against us. Been that way for five years.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

fmp3 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

I've said it's not the worst strategy
You opined that it was a 'poor' strategy.
Method Man
Ok. It's not the best strategy IMO to give the other team open 3s and have 2-3 guys crash on someone driving.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Ok. It's not the best strategy IMO to give the other team open 3s and have 2-3 guys crash on someone driving.

I don't think the 'packline' strategy premise is to just give wide open threes. Guys are still supposed to close out on shooters on the perimeter.

But #9 out of #351 teams last year was an excellent defensive ranking. Saying it is poor or 'not the worst'...I will just assume that you recognize the defensive strategy can work fine and it is just a personal preference thing with you.
Strike One
Regardless of how Kennedy's defensive strategy works out overall, it is indeed frustrating to see team after team come in against the Ags and hit 10-20% higher than their average rate of 3's (even when it often looks to me like our defender is trying hard to close down on the shot) while our 3 point shooters seem to have a hot night (30-40%!) once every 3 or 4 games even when they are getting wide open looks. It just seems like other teams almost always shoot a heck of a lot better than our guys do regardless of how hard our defense is trying to defend against the 3.
Method Man
Did anyone notice Tyler is shooting his FTs with way higher arc? Seems different than last year.

Also, I saw plenty of open people last year Pumpkinhead. We had some great defensive efforts but I don't like the way Kennedy coaches it. Pick any game and we can watch it and count how many looks are open. I notice it every game so maybe I'm too focused on it.
Method Man
Team 3pt%. 3pt%vsAgs
NW. 40.8. 38.5
American. 28.1 28.0
USC 34.7 19.2
CSN. 35.2 38
Va Tech. 38.9 39
UCLA. 47.1 46.2
TAMUCC. 32.9 35
Denver. 39.8 38.5
SCSt. 29.3 52.2

I can't say that's horrible. Overall, it seems average this year so far.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
Method Man said:

Did anyone notice Tyler is shooting his FTs with way higher arc? Seems different than last year.

Also, I saw plenty of open people last year Pumpkinhead. We had some great defensive efforts but I don't like the way Kennedy coaches it. Pick any game and we can watch it and count how many looks are open. I notice it every game so maybe I'm too focused on it.

Method, you can watch virtually every game on a given Saturday and find teams getting open shots throughout the game if you look for it. Just like virtually every team goes through a period of bad play that the opponent takes advantage of at some point during a game. Texags just seems to dwell on those phases of the game. It happens in basketball to all teams at all levels.
Method Man
Of course. I guess my biggest issue is guys leaving their man to stand in limbo near the lane while giving up open shots. We are absolutely coached to do it or rather not coached not to do it. you're banking on guys missing open 3s which surprisingly they do.
bobinator
AG
I've been critical of our perimeter defense as well, but the truth is that it's really good most of the time.

We do a few things really well. We make players who don't like taking a lot of shots to take a lot of shots, and we make them do it from spots on the floor they don't want to shoot from.

It's very by-the-numbers, and it works, again, most of the time. Where I have a hard time is it seems like we're slow to adjust when some player goes One Shining Moment on us. That strategy is probably still playing the numbers. Regression to the mean and all that, but sometimes it seems like it would be better for your team emotionally to go ahead and adjust and lock that guy down.

But Kennedy's strategy is what it is, and for the most part it works really well, if you're going to beat us, it's probably not going to be your best player doing it, and it almost definitely isn't going to be from inside the paint.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Here is an article on the pack-line man-to-man defense FYI, which my understanding is something that Kennedy often prefers to play, although we are going with a lot of zone variations this season as well.

http://www.basketballforcoaches.com/pack-line-defense/

The article mentions several coaches who have a preference for this sort of defensive strategy including Izzo at Michigan State, Miller at Arizona, Mack at Xavier, Bennet at Virginia, etc.

Quote:

The 'Pack Line' defense is a variation of man-to-man defense. The biggest difference between the two is that instead of the off-ball defenders being out pressuring their player and denying the pass, everyone except the player guarding the ball must be inside an imaginary line 16 feet from the rim.

The premise behind this defense is that by having four players within the pack line, it discourages the opposition from penetrating and getting inside the paint and forces them to beat you with well executed offense and great outside shooting.

bobinator
AG
The pack-line is also a big reason why college basketball sucks to watch a lot of the time these days.

That's not really a criticism of the defense itself, which obviously works, it just makes games boring.
GrayMatter
AG
I agree that most don't understand the significance of winning a conference. That's because most don't care about basketball in the whole realm of things and unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Not gonna beat a dead horse complaining about the obvious though.

Depending on the game, I kind of flip flop on our approach to defending the 3 point line. I'd prefer to guard tighter, but when you do, you leave yourself open for dribble drives and easy buckets in the paint. When you see guys from UCLA or VT going off on us from the 3 point line, it makes me mad. However, I have noticed even without statistics that a team isn't going to be hot from 3 point land for a whole game. Yes there's been exceptions and one even in our favor with Elston going off against Kentucky, but those are too far in between. Most teams can't shoot a good percentage from the 3 point line consistently which is why defending the paint is better.

I'm guessing that focusing to defend the paint more so than the 3 point line is statistically in our favor. Of course the criticism is laying off of 3 point shooters resulting in easy looks and those made 3's being the difference between a loss and a win is disheartening.

I will say that this strategy works better in our conference because there isn't that many teams that light it up from the outside. Kentucky and Florida are two teams that you can't leave open out there but I don't really see anyone that can make them consistently.
bobinator
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

I will say that this strategy works better in our conference because there isn't that many teams that light it up from the outside. Kentucky and Florida are two teams that you can't leave open out there but I don't really see anyone that can make them consistently.

This is a really good point. Even if the athleticism is high, the skill level in the SEC is pretty low so not many teams have multiple good shooters.

Even Kentucky is statistically awful at shooting threes as a team. Mainly because Briscoe is horrendous at them.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

AggieBaller98 said:

This is a really good point. Even if the athleticism is high, the skill level in the SEC is pretty low so not many teams have multiple good shooters.

Even Kentucky is statistically awful at shooting threes as a team. Mainly because Briscoe is horrendous at them.
How many teams do you typically face during a D1/SEC season that have a bunch of consistent 40+% three point shooters out on the perimeter?

Fox has a 14.3 3P% thus far this season, Briscoe has a 23.5 3P%. Seems like you'd have to keep careful watch on Monk and Willis out on the perimeter, but 'pack-lining' hard trying to stop Fox/Briscoe/Adebeyo/etc. going wild in the paint. And if Fox and/or Brisco are atypically 'on' that day from three then so be it. As you guys said, Kennedy seems to play the percentages and the percentages as of now versus Kentucky would seem to say to double down on penetration/paint and give up open outside looks to Fox and Briscoe.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I meant to mention Fox also. If he and Briscoe were in a duel one of them would probably die of dehydration first.

It will be interesting to see how we defend Kentucky. I can't decide if I think we're perfectly designed for them, or if it's a worst-case-scenario for us depending on what night I'm watching us and what night I'm watching them.
Method Man
I watch plenty of basketball. Winning the SEC is more impressive because U.K. is in the conference. It's a crappy conference.
Method Man
I mostly care about the tourney. No one remembers who won the conference the school that won it. It is a great accomplishment of course.
BrandoC
AG
I dont see enough jumping down players throats from this staff. BCG would embarrass them on the court if didn't hustle and then you never seen it happen again that game.
peace
S
BCG pulled all 5 starters off the court in one game, about 3-4 minutes into the game.....that got their attention and they responded!!! I looked over and saw the 5 subs sitting at the scorer's table....knowing things were going to get interesting!!! Quickly!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.