bench shooting

1,714 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Spiritofaggieland
phorizt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
this is pretty bad

our reserves are a combined 6 out of 37(16%) from 3 this year. That includes Vila who is 4/13 which is not good at 30% but the rest of them are much worse going 2/24. I'm not sure how you assemble a group of college basketball perimeter players who can only shoot 8% from 3.

oh and then there's Hogg who is on a 2 for 19 slump.

JJxvi
AG
4 for 13 is hardly anything to be worried about, just making 1 extra of those shots would make him 38%.

2-24 is bad but its not like thats even a huge sample. Hampton was only 30% on 20 attempts but after just one game hes shooting over 40% now
phorizt
Ok how about overall team is 292nd in the country in 3 pt shooting and 317 in FT %. We're one of the worst shooting teams in the country.
t - cam
AG
Sounds like room for improvement.

Hogg is the one that tilting the scales right now. He is too good of shooter to stay cold so I'm guessing our stats should pick up.
Method Man
Peyton Allen would be shooting 40%
bobinator
AG
Yeah, Vila was our leading 3 pt shooter by percentage going into last night's game. Small sample sizes are wonderful.

This is a problem we knew we were going to have though unless Hogg's percentage went way up this season.

Hogg has taken 28% of our three pointers, and Gilder has taken another 20% so that's basically half of our threes coming from two guys and they're shooting a decent percentage at ~34%.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Not only is Vila not shooting well, I'm convinced he can't shoot at all. I went last night and noted for the 5th time this year in person just how awful his mechanics are. I have no hope for that guy.
CypressAg09
AG
In games against Power 5 opponents, our bench has only attempted 6 three pointers and half of those were by robert williams.
TjgtAg08
AG
If you expected anything drastically different from this team, you are insane. This was never going to be an elite shooting team. Hogg in his slump has pulled those numbers down, but if we try to live and die by the 3pt attempt, we are screwed.

It is pretty obvious that Villa is still getting used to the American style of play and is getting pushed around out there, which is making him hesitant to shoot - that was to be expected. Other than Villa, who comes off our bench that actually should be shooting 3pts? Not Williams or Miller. I guess the third PG? Sure, maybe.

We are a down-low, points-in-the-paint team, period. Don't expect anything different unless Hogg gets on fire. It was nice to see Gilder and Hampton make some mid-range jumpers last night, however.

A better stat to track would be 3pt attempts, not 3pters made. But the most telling stats for this team are going to be FT attempts, FT % and rebounding margin. If we can be good-to-great in the first and third stat, and solid in the FT% stat, we will be fine.
bobinator
AG
t - cam said:

Hogg is the one that tilting the scales right now. He is too good of shooter to stay cold so I'm guessing our stats should pick up.
This is the thing that still worries me. Hogg has been cold for the last couple of games, but he's still shooting at 34% on the season. He shot 33% last season.

At some point your shooting percentage is what it is.
bobinator
AG
austinaggie2008 said:

A better stat to track would be 3pt attempts, not 3pters made. But the most telling stats for this team are going to be FT attempts, FT % and rebounding margin. If we can be good-to-great in the first and third stat, and solid in the FT% stat, we will be fine.

We're horrible at the first two, and we're pretty good at the third one and I still think we're fine.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
villa is a terrible shooter all around. I don't remember where I read al the preseason hype about his 3 pint shot being able to stretch defenses, but that was completely false. villa can dribble and pass well for his size, otherwise he is of no value to the team. his shot looks atrocious coming out of his hand.
agfan1030
Method Man said:

I assume he isn't playing bball this season.
bobinator
AG
TST said:

villa is a terrible shooter all around. I don't remember where I read al the preseason hype about his 3 pint shot being able to stretch defenses, but that was completely false. villa can dribble and pass well for his size, otherwise he is of no value to the team. his shot looks atrocious coming out of his hand.
I was going to write out a response to this but "otherwise he is of no value to the team" is just blatant trolling.
Method Man
agfan1030 said:

Method Man said:

I assume he isn't playing bball this season.

He's not.
mdanyc03
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Not only is Vila not shooting well, I'm convinced he can't shoot at all. I went last night and noted for the 5th time this year in person just how awful his mechanics are. I have no hope for that guy.
Yeah, I mean the guy is a 6'11 18 year old who can dribble and pass, fluid and athletic for a guy his size, good instincts, good basketball IQ, led his club team to a European championship where he was MVP, one of the top five prospects in all of Europe for his age, turned down a professional contract offer from Barcelona, one of the top 5 or 10 professional teams in the world outside of the NBA.

But he is only shooting 30% on 3's. Hard to see much upside. What a chump.
bobinator
AG
If he makes his next two 3s he'll be shooting 40% and he'll be brilliant. If he misses them he'll be shooting 27% and we should cut him IMO.
mdanyc03
AG
The irony is that many of you who think that Vila is hopeless will also blame every loss we have this season on the transfers of Peyton Allen and Alex Robinson. When the fact is you can turn on any random, mid tier CAA game this year and see 2 Alex Robinsons and 3 Peyton Allen's.
AccountantAg
AG
I like Hogg a lot.....but I read this forum and seems like most think we will be lucky to get him 3 years. He's a career 33% 3 point shooter and ~60%ish FT.

At what point does his elite shooting need to actually show up in games. It's not his ball handling and defense that's going to get him NBA looks at this point. I guess I just see a okay-good player right now. I'm not seeing great.
t - cam
AG
Villa needs minutes. He has a chance to be great. I'll deal with his bad play now to get him some run to gain comfort.
bobinator
AG
Everyone also needs to keep in mind that Vila was like 6-7 a year and a half ago. Hell our own press release announcing his signing from this summer says he's 6-9.

Keeping your mechanics the same during a growth spurt of that magnitude is hard. I think he'll get there eventually, but it's going to take some patience.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
I've not given up on villa. he can still improve much like trocha did. but this year he's basically another warm body until he can make a basket.
rosstradamas70
AG
phorizt said:

this is pretty bad

our reserves are a combined 6 out of 37(16%) from 3 this year. That includes Vila who is 4/13 which is not good at 30% but the rest of them are much worse going 2/24. I'm not sure how you assemble a group of college basketball perimeter players who can only shoot 8% from 3.

oh and then there's Hogg who is on a 2 for 19 slump.

Vila at 30% means 9 points scored per 10 trips down the floor, or 45% 2 pt shooting which most teams consider average. obviously higher would be better
and Hogg is really in a funk right now!
johnnyblaze36
AG
mdanyc03 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Yeah, I mean the guy is a 6'11 18 year old who can dribble and pass, fluid and athletic for a guy his size, good instincts, good basketball IQ, led his club team to a European championship where he was MVP, one of the top five prospects in all of Europe for his age, turned down a professional contract offer from Barcelona, one of the top 5 or 10 professional teams in the world outside of the NBA.

I hope I end up being wrong but he has looked god awful in all five games I've been to and that's not even up for debate.
Pumpkinhead
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

mdanyc03 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

I hope I end up being wrong but he has looked god awful in all five games I've been to and that's not even up for debate.
Vila's shooting mechanics looked pretty good when he was shooting with a FIBA sized ball in that Adidas Euro League Championship Game back in May. Go to the YouTube link below. You can get a really good look at the type of shooter potential he has in those highlights. Totally agree he has been in a slump upon arrival to his new home across the ocean, but may just need some time to adapt (new country, new style of play, NCAA rules/ball/etc. vs. FIBA, and so on). Count me as a guy who can see the potential upside there, we'll see if he pans out but still really early in his college career.

Pumpkinhead
AG
dp

PatAg
AG
AccountantAg said:

I like Hogg a lot.....but I read this forum and seems like most think we will be lucky to get him 3 years. He's a career 33% 3 point shooter and ~60%ish FT.

At what point does his elite shooting need to actually show up in games. It's not his ball handling and defense that's going to get him NBA looks at this point. I guess I just see a okay-good player right now. I'm not seeing great.
"career"

you mean his freshman year and maybe 1/4 of his sophomore year? Are you ****ing kidding m

Personally, even in his slump, I'm usually pretty shocked when Hogg misses, his shot is so nice
PatAg
AG
Totally, agree. I remember watching that and being much more worried about his ability to handle the ball and move around the court. To me, he seems more than athletic/mobile enough.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
Bring Hampton off the bench.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.