BCG Retiring

7,472 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Yell Practice
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Billy Gillispie Retiring from Basketball Coaching
GE
AG
I'm eager to hear Acie talk about this on the radio next week. Apparently it took him by surprise too.
Method Man
He retired because it's spelled "Gillispie".
Ol Jock 99
AG
Immediately? Have to wonder if old habits didn't start up with the stress of coaching.

Fair thee well Coach G.
6-4-3
AG
I will never forget Senior night (day) against Mizzouri during Acie's senior year. Packed house. Loud. But very emotional game and post-game for a number of reasons. That is when I realized that BCG could have been a stand up comedian if he worked on it full time. Dude is funny.
Aggie
AG
Absolutely loved the BCG era of Aggie Basketball... Great times .
gordo97
AG
BCG era was great
gonemaroon
AG
Gig'em Coach - proud of what you accomplished here
NukeAg10
AG
with the amount of money who put toward ranger, i'd assume he still has plenty of money.

if it's bc of the stress of coaching, i hope he can retire and be happy doing something he loves.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Effective immediately. Wow. Sounds like Billy Clyde may have some health issues, or something. Much love to him for all that he accomplished in his career, especially at A&M.

On the other hand, maybe this will shut some of your faces about bringing him back. n'estce pas?
randy828
AG
Get healthy BCG
CDub06
AG
NukeAg10 said:

i hope he can retire and be happy doing something he loves.
I thought his only love was basketball.
rwtxag83
AG
I think he'd be a great color guy for basketball broadcasts. Either as part of the team actually calling the game, or one of the guys at the broadcast center.

No matter what he does, I hope he's able to get his health in order.
Vepp
Stay in the game anyway you can Billy Clyde. Do some color commentating.

You + Bill Walton on the sideline. That'd make for an interesting game.

You were an oustanding basketball coach. You pushed your players to their limits which made for some very entertaining basketball. Enjoy retirement!
rangerdanger
AG
This program owes alot to BCG. The man literally carried the athletic department's relevancy on his back for years. I consider him the best "real" coach we've had in awhile who did not luck his way to wins by inheriting a once in a generation talent. Those wins were hard earned by him and his players. Looked like he was continuing that trend at Ranger.

Maybe he should retire as a coaching consultant with Sumlin as his first client.
bobinator
AG
I love BCG as much as the next person, but I don't think that's what "literally" means and I'm not sure why "real" is in quotes. Also FWIW BCG did inherit two guys who spent a few years in the NBA...

I love the guy, what he did here was incredible, but it's not like he took over a team from intramurals his first season.
PJYoung
AG
I can't help thinking about Blair when I think about Gillispie.

They both resurrected programs that were literally dead. ;-)

And yes, BCG had some talent thanks to Watkins but how he broke them down and then built them up into a special group was so fun to witness as a fan. I remember his first press conference like it was yesterday just like I remember that heart breaker in San Antonio to get into the Elite Eight. Lots of special memories with that man and his legacy lives on here today with NCAA appearances and 20 win seasons.

He changed basketball expectations at a football school and gave us a taste of what we could be.

Thank you Billy!

rangerdanger
AG
bobinator said:

I love BCG as much as the next person, but I don't think that's what "literally" means and I'm not sure why "real" is in quotes. Also FWIW BCG did inherit two guys who spent a few years in the NBA...

I love the guy, what he did here was incredible, but it's not like he took over a team from intramurals his first season.

Don't bust a brain cell Bob.

BCG's hard work mentality was too difficult for the under achievers at Tech and too grating for the divas at UK. The talent at A&M during his tenure was earned through hard work. I've read some articles, some I believe from TexAgs, talking about how strenuous practices were and his high expectations. To me that defines a real coach. Someone who gets every ounce of greatness from his players.
TangoMike
rangerdanger said:

bobinator said:

BCG's hard work mentality was too difficult for the under achievers at Tech and too grating for the divas at UK. The talent at A&M during his tenure was earned through hard work. I've read some articles, some I believe from TexAgs, talking about how strenuous practices were and his high expectations. To me that defines a real coach. Someone who gets every ounce of greatness from his players.
His practices made people better, for sure, but to say he didn't inherit any talent is revisionist. He inherited Antoine Wright, Acie Law (though Acie does admit Gillispie turned him into a lottery pick), and Joe Jones. Plus the legend that is Marlowned
Yell Practice
Hate to hear that news. Hope you get to feeling better soon BCG. Best of Luck.
Yell Practice
BCG started turning this program aroun IMO
jml2621
It would be great to bring BCG in as an 'advisor." Saban has about 20...
PJYoung
AG
jml2621 said:

It would be great to bring BCG in as an 'advisor." Saban has about 20...

I think that would be a terrible idea to be honest.
SW AG80
AG
Did he resign as AD also, or just the basketball coach?
TXAggie2011
AG
rangerdanger said:

bobinator said:

By "gets every ounce of greatness out of his players" you mean "except those times he didn't like at Tech and Kentucky."

Figuring out how to communicate and get through to college athletes is part of being a college coach. Personal relationships matter when you're directing a team, whether it be in the gym or the elsewhere. Kentucky and Texas Tech have well-known curmudgeons that did/are doing pretty well at those schools.

I hope he finds good health in his retirement and I wish him all the best.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
rangerdanger said:

bobinator said:

Don't worry about Bob busting a brain cell. He used to write for The Eagle.
Deadwood
AG
BCG and Johnny never coming back to greatness are both sad stories.

I guess Johnny still has a chance but he'd have to do a 180 on attitude.
TMartin
Here's hoping BCG gets control of his demons. Bill Byrne was not the kind of AD who could help a guy like BCG and by the time he got to Kentucky he was too far gone. I would love to see him work under some really grounded coach in a strong program who could work with him a daily basis......the man can coach.
CrottyKid
AG
The Kentucky radio guys are driving across the country to Vegas. Their route takes them near Ranger, and they are wondering aloud if they could interview Billy. I doubt he would do it, but if any of yall know BCG, let him know that even the UK guys wish him well and would like to talk to him.
unmade bed
I remember reading an article about the level of work that dude put in during the bball season while he was here. He would spend 18 hours in his office and at the gym and stop at a convenience store for peanut butter crackers and a Dr Pepper for his only meal of the day on the way home to catch 2-3 hours of sleep. Definitely not really a healthy lifestyle. Some guys just can't do anything but go all in. I get the feeling BCG is one of those guys.
Yell Practice
Get Well Soon Johnny.
Yell Practice
And BCG also. Good Luck BCG.
Yell Practice
"BCG and Johnny never coming back to greatness are both sad stories.

I guess Johnny still has a chance but he'd have to do a 180 on attitude"

Yes! Good Luck to both of them.
Dirt 05
AG
Best wishes to Billy.

I knew he'd be a great coach at A&M just a few minutes after the press conference to introduce him as the new head coach. I was in the audience at Reed Arena and after the event he hung around for a few minutes meeting folks. I shook his hand and told him that if he needed a slow white dude that could barely dunk to give me a call, he quickly said don't wait around the phone and moved onto the next person. HA! Not long after that moment he was running the first team practice. He was no nonsense all effort from the get go.
Yell Practice
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.