Hampton

3,418 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Method Man
txag72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could it be? Acie talking about him finding his role and confidence. It's Denver, but he's covering up for Hogg being so cold lately.
WGann3
AG
Like you said, it is just Denver but this is extremely encouraging. He's been aggressive at the right times and is nailing his threes tonight. He looks like a completely different player than I've seen all year up until tonight.
Uncle Jimbo
If he gains some confidence, it could be huge.
agfan1030
It was his night tonight. He said he got a text from Tyler telling him to be more aggressive offensively and he and BK had a conversation about that, too. Gave him more confidence.
Hop
Staff
AG
He had plenty of time to get set on those 3-pointers. Not to take anything away from him tonight, but he won;t have those long open looks against credible teams.
txagssweetie2014
Watched the game and not sure if tonight was a fluke or a new trend. A few more ooc games to find out.
Method Man
Hop said:

He had plenty of time to get set on those 3-pointers. Not to take anything away from him tonight, but he won;t have those long open looks against credible teams.

Agreed.
mdanyc03
AG
Nobody should be surprised by this. Jc Hampton can shoot. He is limited as an all around player but he can get hot and knock down some threes.

I don't think this will be a trend. He will probably be 0 for 2 or whatever for a couple of games and then make 4 of 5.
mdanyc03
AG
Hop said:

Luckily we don't need him to do that. We just need to give other teams something to think about when they double on the bigs.
Method Man
Hasn't happened yet, but he did hit a big 3 against UCLA.
TMartin
Hogg still looks like he is trying to create his shot when I see him as a spot up shoot on rhythm guy so as Hampton goes so does Hogg.
AgGrad99
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Hop said:

Luckily we don't need him to do that. We just need to give other teams something to think about when they double on the bigs.

My thoughts exactly
bobinator
AG
He's not going to get as many open looks but maybe he'll get a couple and it was good to see him actually knock them down. If we're putting a guy on the court for that many minute he at least has to have one offensive skill.
Pumpkinhead
AG
He had a good three point shooting day versus CSUN as well, going 3-5 in that game.

Thus far this season, after last night, Hampton is shooting 40.7% from three. Which would be great if he can stay around that 40% mark. I totally agree that it is unlikely he is going to get those quality of looks versus a team like Arizona, but if he is at least 'shooting with confidence' and he is nailing around 40% of the open looks that he does get, then besides that obviously being a good thing if the guy is making his open shots, the good opponents will also at least have to be aware of that in their scouting report and maybe that will take a bit of the edge off in terms of them selling out when the ball goes inside.
rosstradamas70
AG
all of our outside shooters need to step up when the lane gets clogged with defenders
looking forward to Vila having a break-out game soon!
ross skillman 70
TopoTacos
AG
I have to remind myself to stay patient with Vila as he adjusts to the American style of the game. He seems to have such a high BBIQ and I feel like once he finds his shot more consistently he could take over games.
PJYoung
AG
I feel like Vila is one of those players that just needs some confidence and he is going to break out in a big way. That might not happen until March or whatever but I have a feeling that he will be one of the keys to our post season success.
bobinator
AG
I feel like, for this year, a successful season for Vila is stepping in and helping us win maybe one or two games we wouldn't. Maybe Trocha or Hogg get into foul trouble or something and he plays a solid 20 minutes or something.
t - cam
AG
Hop said:

Not to take anything away from him but allow me to take everything away from him.
Method Man
Hop is right, though.
t - cam
AG
Method Man said:

Hop is right, though.

Confidence is a silly beast though so seeing the buckets fall against a bad team can certainly point the arrow in the right direction. I was more impressed by his play getting into the paint more than the wife open threes.
Method Man
All we can do is analyze what we see and hope for the best. Everyone agrees on that part of it.
jml2621
To be fair, he wasn't up against high D-1 talent. Hampton is really being used as a combo guard, with 1.9 apg, more like Greg Paulus with Duke ca. 2008.

Gilder is technically running the point, although Hogg, Admon are taking advantage of entry passes to Tyler, Williams.
txag72
AG
Quote:

I don't think this will be a trend. He will probably be 0 for 2 or whatever for a couple of games and then make 4 of 5.
Better than going 1 for 4 then 1 for 5 then 1 for 6 then 1 for 7 then 1 for 8.
TMartin
If Hampton can score then at least he has to draw one defender which is better than A&M in recent years. A&M can put four scorers and and an inside threat on the floor and that's enough to beat a lot of teams and BK has them playing aggressive defense. With all those big bodies they just need to rebound better.
GE
AG
Vila to this point is Trocha as a freshman towards the end of the season. You can tell there is something there but he's still looking for it. If he starts knocking down shots like I had thought he would be able to then that all changes.
Method Man
That's pretty much it. He's been billed as a shooter so let's see it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.