BCG off.to another great start....

5,098 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Captain Pablo
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
8-1 now

Took a 2 win team from 2015 to the final four last season in one of the most incredible turnarounds ever (never mind ranger forfeited the games)

Anyhoo....

Coaching extremely well....

Surely he'll coach NCAA hoops again

What do yall think?
txjortsagent
AG
I truly hope he does. I love Billy and want him to succeed.
LawHall88
AG
Captain Pablo said:

8-1 now

Took a 2 win team from 2015 to the final four last season in one of the most incredible turnarounds ever (never mind ranger forfeited the games)

Anyhoo....

What do yall think?
Sure, and JFF will be starting in the NFL next season. Keep hope alive...
CypressAg09
AG
Come on, you know that's not the same. At least BCG is still trying.
Serious Lee
im sure baylor would hire him
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Well considering BK deleivered a shared conference title last year, and some recent stellar recruiting classes I'd say we are in good shape for some fun basketball years...
Captain Pablo
AG
LawHall88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

8-1 now

Anyhoo....

What do yall think?

So you think the chances of JFF starting in the NFL next season, and Billy Clyde EVER coaching NCAA basketball again are about the same?
Captain Pablo
AG
TST said:

Well considering BK deleivered a shared conference title last year, and some recent stellar recruiting classes I'd say we are in good shape for some fun basketball years...

OK but what does that have to do with BCG, or this thread in general?
Captain Pablo
AG
Surprised at the BCG hate

All the guy did was pull off one of the greatest sport program miracles in school history...

Brought a program dead and buried to life

Oh wait. No Ag Tags

Never mind. Not surprised
Captain Pablo
AG
Ddp
LawHall88
AG
Captain Pablo said:

LawHall88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

8-1 now

Anyhoo....

What do yall think?

So you think the chances of JFF starting in the NFL next season, and Billy Clyde EVER coaching NCAA basketball again are about the same?
Yep.
PatAg
AG
LawHall88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

LawHall88 said:

Captain Pablo said:

8-1 now

Anyhoo....

What do yall think?

Yep.
you are an idiot, then. Sorry to break this to you.
Ag90T
AG
Glad to see BCG doing well but I hate it when threads like this keep popping up when he wins a few games at a JC. He had his chances and blew them everywhere he has been. Just like JFF. I believe in giving people second chances, but both are well past their second chance. Move on and stop bringing it up.
buffalo chip
S
Ag90T said:

Glad to see BCG doing well but I hate it when threads like this keep popping up when he wins a few games at a JC. He had his chances and blew them everywhere he has been. Just like JFF. I believe in giving people second chances, but both are well past their second chance. Move on and stop bringing it up.
You are not compelled to open a BCG thread. You could regard it as a warning and move on. I enjoy seeing his progress, and I believe in second, third and seventeenth chances as long as somebody is trying to beat his demons.

Thanks, OP. And, AgTags are not the bees knees...
Captain Pablo
AG
Ag90T said:

Nah. I don't think I will stop bringing it up occasionally... there is no limit to the gratitude I have to BCG for what he did for our program. You wouldn't be here today excited for BK in the least if BCG had not come in and pulled the program out of a ditch

I love stories of redempton and I hope BCG is one in the making

Hope he continues his success, and hope he makes it back to the NCAA

I'll try to keep yall posted
Captain Pablo
AG
GE
AG
Captain Pablo said:

That's an impressive crowd for a JUCO. BCMFG appears to have put on a few pounds. Hopefully that means he turned his drinking habit into an eating habit.
Captain Pablo
AG
GE said:

Captain Pablo said:

That's an impressive crowd for a JUCO. BCMFG appears to have put on a few pounds. Hopefully that means he turned his drinking habit into an eating habit.

It's certainly possible. That definitely happens ....
Keller6Ag91
AG
God forbid he goes to Baton Rouge after Johnny Jones underachieves again and gets found out. I wouldn't want to play against him.

He would've already had a statue erected if he had stayed....1-2 Final Fours and a possible NC.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Con Spirito
BCG was good for Texas A&M -- he resurrected our program from the fringes. I will always appreciate him for that. His meltdowns at Kentucky and Texas Tech, however, were on epic proportions. He is now 56 and with his a little to colorful for comfort probably not a serious candidate for an NCAA job. But as basketball coach and AD at Ranger, he is doing better than most.

Of course, then again, you never know.

I didn't know, though, until reading this thread that Ranger forfeited all its wins last year. The reasons is pretty strange, too.

Quote:

Ranger College president Bill Campion said the school was informed that the court of Arbitration for Sport upheld a May ruling by the NJCAA, which determined forward Joshua Simmons should not have been allowed to play last season because he applied to enter the NBA draft in 2013...

Simmons, a 6-6 forward from Irmo, S.C., averaged 11.4 points and nine rebounds last season. Simmons began his college career at Spartanburg Methodist Junior College in South Carolina.

An application was submitted in Simmons' name for early entry into the 2013 NBA draft. "The issue is that this kid's workout coach put his name into the draft in 2013 without his knowledge and then took his name out," Campion told The News in June.

Under NCAA and NAIA rules, players are allowed to declare for the NBA draft and even attend pre-draft camps and remain college-eligible _ provided they do not hire an agent or accept any type of compensation. Under NJCAA rules, however, a player becomes ineligible as soon as he applies for the draft.

Strange that NCAA and NAIA say that's OK but NJCAA does not. How would BCG know the kid applied for the draft 2 years ago? So the result is that Ranger forfeits 31 wins, a final four and is on probation this year.

And something stranger? The year before BCG arrived at Ranger, the basketball team was on probation too -- the year they won just 2 games:
Quote:

Last season, Ranger College finished 2-23 and was on probation due to violations that occurred under former coach Larry Brown.
What's in a name, right?
jml2621
CypressAg09 said:

Come on, you know that's not the same. At least BCG is still trying.
Pumpkinhead
AG
below is an article about BCG's time at Kentucky that was written just a few months ago in July. This kind of stuff seems to still be coming out several years later. Given the fallout from his time at Kentucky and Tech and the long history of some personal demons, very skeptical that he ever is a HC at a D1 school again.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/7/12/12165224/patrick-patterson-mom-details-billy-gillespie-regime
Captain Pablo
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

below is an article about BCG's time at Kentucky that was written just a few months ago in July. This kind of stuff seems to still be coming out several years later. Given the fallout from his time at Kentucky and Tech and the long history of some personal demons, very skeptical that he ever is a HC at a D1 school again.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/7/12/12165224/patrick-patterson-mom-details-billy-gillespie-regime

I wonder if any of his conduct was attributable to alcoholism. I'm not talking about being intoxicated at practice or anything like that. I'm talking about hangovers and just the manifestations of chronic alcoholism in the form of depression, depersonalization, anger...

It sure doesn't seem like any of those things are going on at Ranger, or at least we haven't heard of it. I would think he would be running out of there pretty quickly if things like that started happening

I don't know. A few years of success, and demonstrated sobriety and good Conduct and he might be given another shot

Norman Dale was. And so was Shooter, under some strict stipulations
Captain Pablo
AG
Would a college put a "Shooter Rule" in a contract?

And I'm not talking about one of those General conduct unbecoming clauses.
mallen
AG
I think the inner demons for Gillespie come out full throttle in high pressure jobs. The stress and scrutiny of a major D1 job would likely exacerbate any problems with alcoholism or depression. At Ranger college, he certainly won't face much stress unless it is self inflicted. For Gillespie, the most important thing is his health and working through personal issues. It seems he is best served by just being content with where he is at.
Captain Pablo
AG
mallen said:

I think the inner demons for Gillespie come out full throttle in high pressure jobs. The stress and scrutiny of a major D1 job would likely exacerbate any problems with alcoholism or depression. At Ranger college, he certainly won't face much stress unless it is self inflicted. For Gillespie, the most important thing is his health and working through personal issues. It seems he is best served by just being content with where he is at.

No doubt, that is one possibility.

The other possibility is that he legitimately gets sober and stays sober. He may already be sober. It is not easy, but it does happen. And in almost all circumstances, it requires complete and uninterupted sobriety and abstinence

I agree there is a fairly good chance that he will not coach at another big program

But I wonder about what we colloquially refer to as "mid-major" programs. Programs that are not glamorous or glitzy, but do not have the barriers to success that they would in football. Little guys creep up all the time and do quite well.

I'm talking like a NMSt, Texas State, other directional school, etc. type program

And I'm talking WITH a strict conduct and substance USE clause

I dunno... while football coaches are often washed up by their 60th birthday, basketball coaches can excel well in her late sixties.

He's got 10-14 years left

I hope he figures it out. I hope he gets a chance.

He's just too damn talented, and did too much for A&M for me not to root for him 100%
GSPag`
His family is from the Ranger College area. Those folks out there are farmers and ranchers who have dealt with floods and droughts for over a 100 years, They are also old oilfield folks who have lived through the booms and busts over the last 95 years there.

He is among his brethren. I think he will be fine and find his peace.
mhayden
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/12/07/billy-gillispie-tells-news-retiring-basketball-coach
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/12/07/billy-gillispie-tells-news-retiring-basketball-coach

Well that seems to pretty definitely answer the question. Gillespie's basketball coaching career is finished.
LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

free_mhayden said:

Well that seems to pretty definitely answer the question. Gillespie's basketball coaching career is finished.
That's a shame. Only an idiot could have seen something like this coming.
Captain Pablo
AG
LawHall88 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

free_mhayden said:

That's a shame. Only an idiot could have seen something like this coming.

What are you suggesting? He's being forced out? That it's something other than legitimate health concerns?
LawHall88
AG
Don't know about that.

BCG absolutely saved our program, and had the basketball world by the tail in 2006, so much so that he got the Kentucky job. But that was 10 years ago. Since then he washed out at two schools, clashed with his AD at both, faced allegations of player mistreatment at both, struggled with personal issues including getting a DUI, got a slap on the wrist NCAA sanction at Tech for practicing too many hours, and then ended up in the hospital in Lubbock with some sort of stress/blood pressure problem that led him to "resign."

In short, there were litany of red flags that made him unhireable as a HC at the Division I level. People who thought otherwise were just kidding themselves, IMO.

I was one of those who wondered if he would be willing to work his way back as an assistant in Division I. I would think there would be schools willing to take a shot with him in that role. It never happened, maybe because the opportunities weren't there, or maybe because that wasn't a path he was interested in following.
Captain Pablo
AG
Well, it looks like he's finished now
MatthewRothell
AG
Just retired
EKG1996
AG
That doesn't sound good. Hope he is well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.