Stansbury Signs Top 10 class at WKU

9,737 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CactusThomas
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rick is getting it done on the recruiting front. He just signed the highest ranked player in his coaching tenure yesterday and added another 3 star and 4 star to western Kentucky university. I would imagine both Robinson and stansbury will move on after next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the SEC.

http://www.wkusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111516aaf.html

Mikesyracuse1
Method Man
Avery Johnson third ranked class as well. No forsight in BCS.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

Avery Johnson third ranked class as well. No forsight in BCS.
So you wanted us to fire BK to hire Stansbury or Avery?
Method Man
After year four? Absolutely.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Fair enough but I think things turned out OK for us in the long run. Avery hasn't shown he can run a successful program yet and who knows how long Stansbury would be around.
bobinator
AG
By the 247Composite, WKU is ranked 13th, and we're ranked 14th...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Damn. It's a shame we didn't fire BK. We could've been ranked so much higher.
bobinator
AG
Well at least pining for Stansbury is a step up from wishing BCG would come back.
mhayden
I feel like I am taking the Pumpkinhead approach to this season with "hey man lets just see how things pan out".

I feel like Kennedy should have been canned after year 3 (and definitely year 4) and I don't see him being the long term solution (read: NCAA tournament at least every other year) at A&M.

That being said, last year earned him this year and if he gets us back to the tournament then there's reason to believe he can be the long term solution.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Posted this on other thread, but my Gut feel on 2017 recruiting:

I think if stansbury had stayed, we would have signed Robinson, chandler, Flagg, and Jasey.

Robinson and chandler were Stansbury guys, Jasey an AAU teammate of Chandlers, and Flagg was Kennedy's personal project.

But Robinson followed Stans to WKU so ultimately the net effect on our 2017 recruiting class was instead of a 5-star center we ended up with a 4-star PG T.J Starks who I think was a Malagi connection.

Our program seems to be healthy at the moment. Much thanks to what Rick StNsbury did, and inpressive start at WKU but thankfully we have not seemed to slip much (yet) in recruiting despite the staff changes.
sincereag
Gotta love these new additions following the stellar classes the last two years. Gives us much improved depth at guard along with Caldwell becoming eligible.
Method Man
free_mhayden said:

I feel like I am taking the Pumpkinhead approach to this season with "hey man lets just see how things pan out".

I feel like Kennedy should have been canned after year 3 (and definitely year 4) and I don't see him being the long term solution (read: NCAA tournament at least every other year) at A&M.

That being said, last year earned him this year and if he gets us back to the tournament then there's reason to believe he can be the long term solution.

We can be wait and see and reasonably positive about the near future and still project a better future elsewhere.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

Junkhead said:

Damn. It's a shame we didn't fire BK. We could've been ranked so much higher.

He's recruiting to WKU and we are recruiting to A&M. Greeaaaat point otherwise.
What were his recruiting rankings at Mississippi State? And how many Sweet Sixteen appearances & conference championships did he have there? I honestly have no idea.
Method Man
How many sweet sixteens and what were Kennedy'a recruiting rankings before Stansbury got to Texas A&M which is better than Mississippi State?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ah, so all of BK's success here is because of Stansbury? I'm done with this back & forth. There's no use if that's the stance you're going to take.
Method Man
No. Not all. He was wildly successful before Stansbury got here.
phorizt

One thing about Stansbury's career is incredibly obvious.... his biggest successes by far have been as an assistant coach. Let him recruit while someone else runs the program and coaches. That's a recipe for success.
GE
AG
Good for Rick. Happy to see him succeed. Nice to see the Kennedy coaching tree adding branches.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I don't think this year will be that great, but we lose Tavario Miller and Hampton and that is it. 2017-2018 team will then only lose Trocha-Morelos and Chris Collins.

So, this year's team will have essentially 3 years together, minus one or two contributors - not stars like Jones and House were last year; point is I think seniors/experience leaving really hurts us this year, but not so much for the next few.

I would think this setup gives BK this and next year minimum. Not saying I agree/disagree either.
deh40
AG
Method Man said:

He came in with minimal talent and major APR issues which tied his hands. Then had the illness issue. Stansbury played a big part in House and Jones, but without him they still would have landed Davis, Hogg, Gilder and the now departed Thomas. Kennedy had a top 20 class for 2016, which would have been higher if Coprew qualified. And they are going to have a top 15 for 2017. I think he has and will do just fine without Stansbury.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Stansbury was a surprising assistant coaching hire at the end of Kennedy's third season, surprising enough that many (including myself) speculated whether there was some sort of 'transition plan' in place.

Some TexAgs posters were not that impressed at the time, feeling Stansbury was a 'retread'. And anyways, it was opined, there was no assistant coach alive who would be able to help a head coach that was considered 'Watkins 2.0' bad. There were also some questions raised of whether Stansbury (a former SEC HC with a more impressive resume) and Kennedy would be able to effectively work together. Too many cooks in the kitchen sort of concerns.

Based on the end results, it seems they were able to work together pretty well. Producing an SEC conference co-championship and NCAA Sweet Sixteen in just their second year together (Neither man as a HC had previously ever coached a team to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen). And credit for that should be given to not only BOTH of those men, but the entire staff including Keller, Darby, Rahim etc. as well as all the players who stuck it out and believed in them and followed them.

Look, not trying to knock Stansbury, cause he clearly played a role in the turnaround so count me as a basketball fan who is thankful that he worked for my program for a couple of years and helped do that.

But Stansbury did not do the scouting report on every opponent last season. That responsibility was shared among the coaching staff. Stansbury was not primarily responsible for every single recruit that we signed the past two years. He was responsible for working with the posts in practices last year, Rahim (I believe) was responsible for working with the guards. He was not in charge of Darby's Strength and conditioning program nor did he hire Darby (a very good hire that Kennedy had made). And he was not sitting in the HC chair on the bench, drawing up all the plays and doing all the talking while every other coach on the staff just sat around doing nothing all game.

A lot of people worked very hard together to produce last season. And that hard work paid off for many of them. Kennedy got a raise. Stansbury and Keller got HC jobs. House got a spot on an NBA team. And the fans got a pretty fun season.
GE
AG
deh40 said:

Method Man said:

He came in with minimal talent and major APR issues which tied his hands. Then had the illness issue. Stansbury played a big part in House and Jones, but without him they still would have landed Davis, Hogg, Gilder and the now departed Thomas. Kennedy had a top 20 class for 2016, which would have been higher if Coprew qualified. And they are going to have a top 15 for 2017. I think he has and will do just fine without Stansbury.
Stansbury helped with House. Jones was on campus sitting out a year before Stansbury was even a twinkle in Billy Kennedy's eye.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
Method Man said:

How many sweet sixteens and what were Kennedy'a recruiting rankings before Stansbury got to Texas A&M which is better than Mississippi State?

Took Stansbury 9 years to get past the 2nd round of tourney. He made the tourney in less than 1/2 the years he coached there. He won the SEC West in his 5th year with a 8-8 conf record but couldn't get out of 1st round of tourney that year. Overall he won approx 1/2 his conference games over his SEC career. He had a good 4 year run in the middle of his career at MSU but overall his record at MSU is average yet for some reason this board thinks he is some basketball guru. If you simply look at accomplishments, BK SEC conf championship and sweet 16 appearance bests anything Stansbury accomplished in his first 5 years at a Power 5 school.
I don't think BK gets the credit he should in recruiting. Stansbury might have helped close some deals but BK early connection with these recruits was a key factor as well. Each of the recruits last year mentioned that as a major factor in their early interviews after enrolling.
Edit: I mistakenly gave Stansbury credit for MSU run to final 4. In fact, that was a NIT Final 4. He never coached a team out of 2nd round in his 6 trips to Tourney in 14 years
GoodAg Paulie
AG
mhayden
The question regarding Stansbury was less about "would they be able to work together" and more to the point that Stansbury wasn't returning to college basketball to be an assistant coach -- he was either being groomed to take over the A&M job or he would be taking a head coaching job elsewhere.

Turned out the latter was the case.
Pumpkinhead
AG
free_mhayden said:

The question regarding Stansbury was less about "would they be able to work together" and more to the point that Stansbury wasn't returning to college basketball to be an assistant coach -- he was either being groomed to take over the A&M job or he would be taking a head coaching job elsewhere.

Turned out the latter was the case.

Agree on those points as well.
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

From the article. I did not look the rankings up.

"With the trio, the Hilltoppers' haul is currently ranked seventh by Rivals, 10th by Scout, and 12th by 247Sports."

mikesyracuse1
CypressAg09
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

bobinator said:

"With the trio, the Hilltoppers' haul is currently ranked seventh by Rivals, 10th by Scout, and 12th by 247Sports."

mikesyracuse1
Their two top recruits haven't signed yet according to 247.
mikesyracuse1
CypressAg09 said:

mikesyracuse1 said:

bobinator said:

mikesyracuse1
Their two top recruits haven't signed yet according to 247.
They both signed this week.

mikesyracuse1
CaveDwellinAg
AG
Wow. I had forgotten that Mitchell Robinson was committed to the Ags. That's a big loss for us, and also a HUGE get for WKY.
GE
AG
CaveDwellinAg said:

Wow. I had forgotten that Mitchell Robinson was committed to the Ags. That's a big loss for us, and also a HUGE get for WKY.
He's a one and done. A guy like Tyler Davis is much more valuable to a university over the course of his career than a guy like Robinson
DFCStrider
AG
Great post, Pumpkinhead. The same mentality that thinks the second string QB is the best guy on the team thinks that an assistant is the reason for a head coach's success.

I did not think that Kennedy was the answer after so many players inexplicably transferred out and the team was nowhere close to being a tournament team. I think Kennedy's turnaround, the change in culture and the program he was building was delayed at least a year because of the Parkinson's diagnosis. I know he was negatively recruited for it as well. But anyone taking a wait-and-see approach and still thinking that Kennedy might not be a long term solution has not been watching our program. Now I understand that sometimes players and schools are just not a good fit, and I think that players that do not want to be a part of a team where character is preached as much as basketball might as well move on and our program will be better for it. At the time players were transferring that was hard to see.

Two years ago we almost made the tournament, but House's injury was an unfortunate thing to happen to a team that did not have much depth. But great recruiting class after great recruiting class has changed that, and the team is pretty solid, period. Spectacularly solid for A&M. We're in good hands, and I think Kennedy will stay at A&M no matter kind of success he has and will make A&M basketball relevant for many years to come. Any other coach, like BCG, would use A&M as a stepping stone. Kennedy will not.

Aside from winning, I think that Kennedy is a quality individual doing things the right way. He's building a solid foundation. I can't believe some of the whiny posters on this site.
Steeple
I'm totally with Method on this one.

Does anyone here really believe that BK could have walked into the WKU job and turned a class like this in less than a year? Not a chance.
Method Man
DFCStrider said:

Great post, Pumpkinhead. The same mentality that thinks the second string QB is the best guy on the team thinks that an assistant is the reason for a head coach's success.

I did not think that Kennedy was the answer after so many players inexplicably transferred out and the team was nowhere close to being a tournament team. I think Kennedy's turnaround, the change in culture and the program he was building was delayed at least a year because of the Parkinson's diagnosis. I know he was negatively recruited for it as well. But anyone taking a wait-and-see approach and still thinking that Kennedy might not be a long term solution has not been watching our program. Now I understand that sometimes players and schools are just not a good fit, and I think that players that do not want to be a part of a team where character is preached as much as basketball might as well move on and our program will be better for it. At the time players were transferring that was hard to see.

Two years ago we almost made the tournament, but House's injury was an unfortunate thing to happen to a team that did not have much depth. But great recruiting class after great recruiting class has changed that, and the team is pretty solid, period. Spectacularly solid for A&M. We're in good hands, and I think Kennedy will stay at A&M no matter kind of success he has and will make A&M basketball relevant for many years to come. Any other coach, like BCG, would use A&M as a stepping stone. Kennedy will not.

Aside from winning, I think that Kennedy is a quality individual doing things the right way. He's building a solid foundation. I can't believe some of the whiny posters on this site.

You can't even name six players on our roster.
PJYoung
AG
bobinator said:

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.