Darby Life

7,976 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mdanyc03
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiesBTB

The Champ! @hph_lilmon is Summer Week 1's #BeastOfTheWeek #DarbyLife

Method Man
Scoring champ 2016-2017
Inca
AG
Not surprised at all. Love Admon!
Tripod17
I can't wait to see how Tonny progresses with a full summer working with Darby.
GE
AG
quote:
I can't wait to see how Tonny progresses with a full summer working with Darby.
He made really good progress after his first full summer working with Darby. Hopefully the same sorts of gains happen this summer.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm trying to imagine any of our players that won't benefit from more #DarbyLife...

I like the school's commitment to strength, conditioning, and diet management for all of our athletic programs. It smells elite.

I especially believe our sophomores are the core of our basketball team and they will provide the primary leadership this fall. Has to do with the intuition that their time in HS and AAU gives them a picture of how to lead. Which isn't to say Tonny will disappear and I think even senior Tavario will have an important role leadership wise. Just have high expectations for our sophomores.
mallen
AG
quote:
I especially believe our sophomores are the core of our basketball team and they will provide the primary leadership this fall. Has to do with the intuition that their time in HS and AAU gives them a picture of how to lead.

I think highly of all of our sophomores but I don't think AAU provides much leadership development and is mainly a platform for showcasing individual skills. I think last season and this summer will provide more leadership development for them than all 4 years of high school and AAU combined. I think even the boot camp training last summer was more leadership development than they got from AAU.
greg.w.h
AG
I think it largely depends on how they influenced each other including choosing to come to A&M as a group. Know AJ jr and possibly AJ himself were influential, too. Not specifically blaming AAU for causing leadership. Just that they had opportunities to play together and showed chemistry.
GE
AG
quote:
I think it largely depends on how they influenced each other including choosing to come to A&M as a group. Know AJ jr and possibly AJ himself were influential, too. Not specifically blaming AAU for causing leadership. Just that they had opportunities to play together and showed chemistry.
Not only that but three of the four soph's lead their teams to state championships in high school and were instrumental pieces to a sweet 16 run as freshmen. They have been through the fire and understand what it takes to win with the game on the line and to compete at a high level.
mdanyc03
AG
greg.w.h
AG
Congratulations Tavario!! Keep it up!!
CactusThomas
agfan1030
AggiesBTB @aggiesbtb

Another week, another beast... @Dj_hogg1 takes home the belt! #DarbyLife

mdanyc03
AG
https://twitter.com/aggiesbtb/status/748936646519697409/photo/1
agfan1030
agfan1030
It's Admon again.
mdanyc03
AG
Morpholino
AG
So I guess that means Tyler's wrist has improved.
mdanyc03
AG
mdanyc03
AG
txag72
AG
Masochist ^
GrayMatter
AG
With all things considered, is Darby the best coach of our basketball staff?
Method Man
AggieBaller98 said:

With all things considered, is Darby the best coach of our basketball staff?

Maybe? I think if they all got canned, Maligi or Chew would be first hired.
mdanyc03
AG
Hop
Staff
AG
Caldwell has some cannons.
mdanyc03
AG
I see many "beast of the week" awards in his future.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Steeple said:

it is simply amazing that in the 6+ years of BK's tenure, that Darby is the only person that he has had on staff who actually played Division 1 basketball.

Assistant Coach Amir Abdul-Rahim played D1 basketball at southeastern Louisiana from 2001-2004, where he was a three time All-Southland conference selection, coached by Billy Kennedy. After playing for Kennedy, he eventually got an assistant coaching job at Murray State and then was hired by BK to replace John Reese back in 2014. Amir's brother is former NBA All-Star Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Method Man
Why is there any footage of that walkon there? Can we move past featuring guys that aren't good at D1 basketball?
Steeple
Correction noted.

The point stands in that BK has had far less D1 basketball experience between himself and his bench coaches than virtually any other top quality D1 program. And that is a structural weakness.
greg.w.h
AG
Steeple said:

Correction noted.

The point stands in that BK has had far less D1 basketball experience between himself and his bench coaches than virtually any other top quality D1 program. And that is a structural weakness.

Umm...while the point is interesting, I'm sure I subscribe to the notion people selected for tallness and athleticism necessarily are more qualified to coach. I'm generally more enamored with someone that teaches to someone that plays from a coaching perspective.

There certainly is a player respect issue when you have a coach that has "paid his dues", but a good coach might not have played at the college basketball level.
Steeple
Well, you can be a good coach without playing D1 basketball. Mark Few and Frank Martin are examples. But frankly most top level coaches have D1 playing experience

Coach K Army
Roy Williams Kansas
Calipari UNC Wilmington
Bill Self Ok State
Tom Izzo Northern Michigan
Jim Boeheim Syracuse
Jay Wright Bucknell
Billy Donovan Providence
Rick Pitino UMass
Sean Miller Pitt
Gregg Marshall Randolph-Macon
Steve Alford Indiana
Tony Bennett UW Green Bay
Lon Kruger K State
Bob Huggins West Virginia

In the SEC, only BK, Martin, Pearl and Wade do not have D1 playing experience. Given what we already know about BK, this is not reassuring.

Method Man
BK could've been Big East MVP and how he coaches is
how he coaches. I agree time on the bench is great. Chris Mullin, Drexler, and many other good college players have been flops as HCs.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Steeple said:

Correction noted.

Rick Stansbury did not play any D1 college basketball. And Kyle Keller only played baseball in college. And yet somehow with Kennedy, Stansbury, Keller, etc. we won the SEC and made the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2015-2016.

Oh, and Billy Gillispie? Did not play D1 college basketball. And Buzz Williams? Nope. No D1 college basketball playing experience.

But Johnny Jones played on a Final Four team at LSU back in the day. Clearly that experience was a significant advantage with regard to his coaching abilities.
Hop
Staff
AG
Isn't this a strength & conditioning thread?
Method Man
Yes. It's pretty good. Hasn't changed a whole bunch for our program but probably for independent development especially the big 3.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.