Story Poster
Photo by Kirby Clarke, TexAgs

The College Station Kid: Alex Caruso as an NBA prospect

April 25, 2016

Alex Caruso, the 6-5 guard from College Station renowned for his court vision, has just concluded his meritorious, four-year career at Texas A&M. Caruso dreamed of playing basketball at A&M as a ball boy and now leaves with a school record-holding legacy.

In the 2015-16 season Caruso became A&M’s all-time leader for steals and assists, as well as the 35th member of Aggie Basketball’s 1,000-Point Club.

Needless to say, he had one of the most impressive careers in Texas A&M basketball history.

But while Caruso’s time in a Texas A&M uniform is over and he'll certainly be able to forge a strong career overseas, we surely hope this isn’t the end of his basketball-playing days in America.

Last week he signed with agent Greg Lawrence of the Wasserman Agency for representation in upcoming the NBA Draft. And though it seems unlikely for Caruso's name to be called on draft night, many believe that doesn't preclude him from a shot at the big-time.

Caruso is ranked No. 96 on DraftEpxress' top 100 prospects list, just behind known names such as Notre Dame forward Zach Auguste, Kentucky guard Alex Poythress and Wichita State star Fred VanVleet. From the site's extensive draft profile of Caruso:

He has instances when he gambles too often, but his 2.7 steals per 40 minutes pace adjusted rank third behind just Kris Dunn and Gary Payton II in our database for NCAA prospects. His lateral quickness improved as a senior and he's slightly stronger, which helps compensate when he's overmatched athletically. He has supremely quick hands that help him intercept passes for easy transition baskets. His instincts on the defensive end are great but he gets distracted on occasion when defending off-ball. His closeout technique on shooters is innate and even when he doesn't get credit for a steal, he's seemingly always in the thick of things when it comes to turnovers. He gobbles loose balls at an eye-popping rate and forces jump balls regularly.

Overall, Caruso has the size and skill-set to succeed as a backup or third string point guard at the next level. He needs to cut down on his turnovers and continue to improve his shooting to carve out a niche as a big, steady, reliable backup in the pros. Still, he's a player almost any coach would love to have and he has an impressive knack for making winning plays.

While he may not hear his name called on draft night, Caruso is easily the kind of player who could find his way onto a NBA roster and stick for a few years if he's able to catch the right breaks.

So, it's not unreasonable for Aggies to expect at least one team to become enamored with Caruso's versatility and unique skill set between now and the June 23 draft — or the days immediately following it — as he continues to prepare in hopes of realizing his dream.

You know ... when he's not chipping in perfect giveaway-a-thon ideas on TexAgs' Student Section board.

Gig 'em, AC.
Discussion from...

21,057 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by halfastros81
jettploetz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Method Man
Cool. Can we get one on the other two guys who have no shot at the NBA too?
bobinator
AG
quote:
Cool. Can we get one on the other two guys who have no shot at the NBA too?
I didn't want to be the first to comment but this was sort of my reaction... like... thanks? I guess?
greg.w.h
AG
I always wish the best for our former players. We never know how far they will go or who they will influence.
Logan Lee
Staff
AG
Looks like we have a lot of haters in the crowd!

Method Man
No hate. Just realism. I'm sure you can tell the difference. He's ranked 96 out of 100 on draft express. Danuel and Jalen deserve their own articles as well so maybe you're hating on them.
bobinator
AG
I just didn't understand the point of the... I guess it's a story?

Why doesn't someone get a sit down with AC and give us some insight into what the process is like for someone who knows their future is probably overseas. Do they have tryouts? Are there scouts? Everyone knows how the NBA draft process works but how does the overseas process work?

I'd be interested in that. It might be some fascinating insight to learn what it's like trying to catch on in the NBA while also making preparations overseas.
Method Man
Stop drinking the hateraid
halfastros81
AG
Wish AC the best in his future endeavors, NBA or otherwise .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.