***Recruiting Thread***

213,606 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please post your recruiting tweets, scoop here.
Method Man
2017 Sandy Creek (GA) G Elias Harden has received an offer from Texas A&M. @easymoneyEII verbalcommits.com/players/elias-
Method Man
Texas A&M is showing lots of interest in 2017 Oklahoma Run PWP Wing Caleb Bennett. #PrepHoops
Pumpkinhead
AG
Corprew is now following Beard and retweeting stuff about Texas Tech. Does Tech/Big 12 have some easier academic requirements than Mizzou/A&M/SEC?
Method Man
Billy Kennedy and Texas A&M offered 2017 Althoff Catholic (IL) four-star guard Jordan Goodwin (@jGoodwin1123), per @ESPN1050_Ryan.
Aston04
AG
Bk is notoriously tight lipped on recruiting, but we do appear to be whiffing badly this spring. With how many open scholarships (3-4?!), i expect a bunch of "sleeper" 5th year/grade risk/juco/foreign and/or 2-3star types to fll out this class, if at all.

I just hope caldwell is the real deal next year or we could be hurting bad depth-wise next year.
Method Man
Texas A&M has offered 2018 Spartanburg Day wing Zion Williamson
Chuck Gay
AG
We don't need to fill all 4 scholarships but 1 would like to land one of our legit quality targets and a grad transfer who can help us next year. After that, I have no problem saving the rest of the scholarships for the following year.
Method Man
This thread is just for offers and scoop. We have a roster thread.
TMF
AG
It's hard to sell playing time with all the good young guys. Need to do a good job scouting and get someone with potential. The top kids theses days want instant everything. This is where we need good kids that will be here 4 years.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead
AG
Note that info from Eric Vila indicated that he would finalize a decision once his current basketball season is finished in Spain, which ends in early May. So given Logan's most recent info that Vila is probably coming to College Station, we might hear something on that in about another month (mid-May or so).

quote:
Vila told Scout he doesn't have a timetable on making his decision, as he's focused on his current season, which ends in early May.

Method Man
Thanks. Can't wait to see Daniel Alexander 2.0 commit.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aaaaaaaaaaaand my dumb ass just realized that he no longer coaches for us. Please ignore the previous post.
Method Man
LOL. Love it.
Method Man
2017 big man Mitchell Robinson has decommitted from Texas A&M, sources told @CBSSports. Top-50 player in class.
11:24am - 24 Apr 16
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
2017 big man Mitchell Robinson has decommitted from Texas A&M, sources told @CBSSports. Top-50 player in class.
11:24am - 24 Apr 16
Method Man
Johnny Dawkins, Bruce Weber, Mike Anderson, Billy Kennedy, Andy Kennedy, Jamie Dixon, Leonard Hamilton at Florida Vipers/Houston Defenders

Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Johnny Dawkins, Bruce Weber, Mike Anderson, Billy Kennedy, Andy Kennedy, Jamie Dixon, Leonard Hamilton at Florida Vipers/Houston Defenders

Method, must be to keep working on Savion Flagg, who is a 2017 kid on the Houston Defenders that we seemed to get in with early on. We were the first high major to offer him and the first one that he visited.

Now his stock appears to be going up (see article written yesterday) and others like Buzz at Virginia Tech and Purdue and Dixon at TCU apparently are working on him. Hopefully us getting in early will help.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1663520-uaa-flagg-moving-onto-the-radar

quote:
Texas A&M is a relatively short trip from his house, and Flagg says he came away impressed with what he saw in College Station.
"I really liked their facilities and their coaching staff and everything," said Flagg. "They seem like great guys."
While Flagg made a few visits during the year, one Big Ten school came in this week to see Flagg for an in-home visit.
"I had an in-home visit on Monday with Northwestern," said Flagg. "I really like Northwestern. They have a great education, and that is the first thing I'm worried about, and also I like their style of play."
Northwestern came in for a visit, while fellow Big Ten school, Purdue, has already really turned up the heat on Flagg.
"They say they really like my game and that I fit in well with them offensively as well as defensively," said Flagg of Purdue.
He went on, "Carsen Edwards talks to me about Purdue. When I posted that I got a Purdue offer he texted me and he is going to try and get me to go there."
For now Flagg is just getting as much information as he can about the schools in the mix for his services, but he does know when he plans on making a decision.
"I am going to play out the spring and then make a verbal commitment at the end of the summer," noted Flagg.

Morpholino
AG
Any highlights of Savion?
Method Man
BrandoC
AG
It's good that we are giving offers to future kids but we need more guys to add onto this upcoming years roster for depth. I mean can Kennedy not get that done?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Its good that we are giving offers to future kids but we need to more guys to add onto this upcoming years roster for depth. I mean can Kennedy not get that done?
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. A lot will depend on the new guys like Maligi delivering. As you probably know following recruiting, football or basketball, if you are doing that as an internet message board fan it is often a bit of a roller coaster ride and you just have to see what the deal is when the ride stops. For some fans, it may just be better to mostly stay detached from recruiting until signing day and then see what ultimately happened and melt down (or not) at that point. Course, it is probably good for TexAgs' business model that there are a significant number of people who are really interested in following every little twist and turn of HS football recruits.

Recruiting is a zero sum game (either you get some decent guys or you don't, no brownie points for second place finishes), and it is often wildly unpredictable and can change quickly for better or worse (at the end of the day what we are doing is trying to follow on the internet the decision making process of 17-18 year old kids typically surrounded by a variety of handler/family/other influences).
Method Man
wacarnolds
AG
quote:

Doesn't look like a super efficient scorer (48% eFG) but he gets to the line a ton and has good assist rates. Took a ton of 3s too.
bobinator
AG
The best thing about recruiting is that since coaches and players so rarely go on the record you can sort of attach whatever narrative you want to it.

Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:

Doesn't look like a super efficient scorer (48% eFG) but he gets to the line a ton and has good assist rates. Took a ton of 3s too.
He played at Strake Jesuit in Houston, so if his family still lives in the Houston area then A&M might be attractive due to location. Let's see if he is pulled in for a visit.

From just a quick glance, I think he could be a serviceable get in terms of what we need...a veteran lead guard who can share a bunch of the load at PG while Caldwell learns the ropes

Let's say hypothetically you had a choice between this guy and L.J. Rose. Who would you prefer?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
The best thing about recruiting is that since coaches and players so rarely go on the record you can sort of attach whatever narrative you want to it.
Yep. Coaches are not even allowed to talk about recruits anyways so can be pretty murky it seems at times.
Zigzig
Can someone explain to me the "rules of engagement" when assistant coaches go from one school to another. Is it safe to assume that Keller and Stansbury are recruiting all the kids they developed a relationship with while they were coaching at A&M? I assume they are.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Can someone explain to me the "rules of engagement" when assistant coaches go from one school to another. Is it safe to assume that Keller and Stansbury are recruiting all the kids they developed a relationship with while they were coaching at A&M? I assume they are.
I think it is unlikely recruits that A&M was targeting will be interested in SFA or WKU. You are mostly looking at different levels of recruits.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Let's say hypothetically you had a choice between this guy and L.J. Rose. Who would you prefer?
Gillon. Produced more and doesn't have major injury concerns. Rose has 4" on him, but it doesn't translate to more blocks or rebounds, so I'm not sure his above average height for a PG is much of a benefit.
bobinator
AG
quote:
quote:
I think it is unlikely recruits that A&M was targeting will be interested in SFA or WKU. You are mostly looking at different levels of recruits.
I wouldn't be so quick on WKU on levels, just location. I don't think they're going to pull a bunch of kids from Texas, but there's been times in the past where they recruited pretty well, plus Stansbury is going to get players.
mdanyc03
AG
I get that wku has a great basketball history and all but they have signed a grand total of 1 top 100 national recruits in the past decade. Basically Kobie Eubanks would be the highest rated recruit they have landed in at least 10 years.

So yes, a different level of recruiting.
bobinator
AG
I agree for the most part, I just mean that if there was a high three/low four star type player from that area we were looking at that it could be competitive. I doubt WKU brings in any high four/five star types, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stansbury land some guys that we wouldn't mind having on our team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.