USA U18 National Team - Coaching Staff

9,357 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some indirect ties to A&M basketball program as Shaka Smart was just named head coach for this year's Under-18 national team playing in FIBA Americas U18 Championship, played in July in Chile. Mark Turgeon and Kevin Ollie named assistants.

Couldn't find a roster anywhere, guess it will be announced during the summer.

bobinator
AG
Great...
agtrevino07
AG
Not good for us. Smart using the BDonovan approach in Fla. If I am not mistaken... Donovan coached the US U18 team and was able to get recruits.
Texans30
Same with coach k being part of USA basketball
bobinator
AG
I actually don't think he signed anyone on the team, but that's not really the point. It's certainly great exposure.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
I actually don't think he signed anyone on the team, but that's not really the point. It's certainly great exposure.

It's quite the stamp of approval to show a recruit
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
It's quite the stamp of approval to show a recruit
Why the sad face? Sweet 16, and SEC COY is quite the stamp of approval as well.
txag72
AG
I imagine BK has to utilize his time and energies a little more efficiently than others.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Why the sad face? Sweet 16, and SEC COY is quite the stamp of approval as well.
don't be obtuse
Pumpkinhead
AG
Who we hire as assistants coaches to replace Stansbury and Keller is 100X more important to recruiting than what is happening in Austin. Or in this case, in South America this July.
wacarnolds
AG
thanks pumpkin for clarifying
Texans30
quote:

Will end up with 2 McDonald's all americans
Pumpkinhead
AG
Dp
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
thanks pumpkin for clarifying

You are welcome. Always glad to help clear things up.
GE
AG
quote:
don't be obtuse
Can't help it, still don't follow. Was it an ironic sad face?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
don't be obtuse
Nope. Smart being named head coach of the U18 national team is going to help his recruiting. We compete against his school for many important recruits, both in 2016 and beyond.

Doesn't seem like a terribly difficult concept to understand.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:

If he is unlucky, most of the roster will be with the wrong shoe company.

Good exposure but Austin always has recruited well. So I don't see something like this and think 'recruiting game changer' cause Smart is probably going to recruit well regardless. Just as Barnes did. Lots of quality kids are naturally attracted to Austin and the horn brand.

What would be a real negative 'game changer' for us specifically is not nailing good AC hires cause with the horns, Waco, SMU, Dixon now at TCU, etc plus Kansas, Kentucky, Duke etc all raiding the state...we need big boy recruiters to compete in such a shark tank.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
If he is unlucky, most of the roster will be with the wrong shoe company.

Good exposure but Austin always has recruited well. So I don't see something like this and think 'recruiting game changer' cause Smart is probably going to recruit well regardless. Just as Barnes did. Lots of quality kids are naturally attracted to Austin and the horn brand.

What would be a real negative 'game changer' for us specifically is not nailing good AC hires cause with the horns, Waco, SMU, Dixon now at TCU, etc plus Kansas, Kentucky, Duke etc all raiding the state...we need big boy recruiters to compete in such a shark tank.
Agree that it isn't anything close to a game changer. He's young, plays an exciting style of basketball, has a Final Four on his resume and is recruiting to a big name school in a great city. He could get good recruits with or without, and already is doing so.

And I agree that the asst coach hires are much more important. No one is claiming otherwise.

But it's not a positive development for A&M basketball.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
don't be obtuse
Nope. Smart being named head coach of the U18 national team is going to help his recruiting. We compete against his school for many important recruits, both in 2016 and beyond.

Doesn't seem like a terribly difficult concept to understand.
Yeah it's not a good thing, but we have plenty going for us as well.
bobinator
AG

quote:

What?

(Edit: trying to clarify what I was what-ing)
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Yeah it's not a good thing, but we have plenty going for us as well.
Ok
salvatore_ditmars
like sweet new grey uniforms!
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Of course not. But I don't really see it as some particularly 'negative' development either. It is some interesting college basketball news IMO. Not much more or less.

Shaka coaching the U19 team in Chile in July is not going to directly affect A&M's 2016 recruiting, as I'm not aware of the horns being in the mix for any of the guys we are trying to close in the next month for 2016 like Corprew, WMW, the spanish kid, Cullen Neal, etc. So whatever Smart is doing right now seems mostly an irrelevant issue in terms of A&M top-remaining 2016 targets. But the AC hires may be important for finishing out 2016.
Pumpkinhead
AG
A different topic, but since this thread veered some into in-state rivals and recruiting against them, here is who Scott Drew just hired to replace an AC departure:

quote:
MANHATTAN
Kansas State basketball assistant Alvin Brooks is leaving the Wildcats and will coach at Baylor next season.
K-State announced the move Wednesday night.
Brooks is the first assistant to depart K-State since Bruce Weber was hired in 2012. During his time in Manhattan, he was the Wildcats' lead recruiter in Texas, bringing in players such as Wesley Iwundu and Dante Williams. He also played a key role in recruiting former leading scorer Marcus Foster. A Texas native, he helped K-State win 79 games in his four seasons.

wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:
Of course not. But I don't really see it as some particularly 'negative' development either. It is some interesting college basketball news IMO. Not much more or less.

Shaka coaching the U19 team in Chile in July is not going to directly affect A&M's 2016 recruiting, as I'm not aware of the horns being in the mix for any of the guys we are trying to close in the next month for 2016 like Corprew, WMW, the spanish kid, Cullen Neal, etc. So whatever Smart is doing right now seems mostly an irrelevant issue in terms of A&M top-remaining 2016 targets. But the AC hires may be important for finishing out 2016.

Are we only allowed to discuss topics through the lense of how they impact the 2016 Texas A&M recruiting cycle? Or can we look at the bigger picture?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Alvin Brooks
blast from the past
GE
AG
Is Shaka coaching this team every year for the foreseeable future? If not, if we hit on these last two guys we're going after in 2016, our success over the next three or four years will greatly overshadow any short term bump they get from him coaching the team now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are we only allowed to discuss topics through the lense of how they impact the 2016 Texas A&M recruiting cycle? Or can we look at the bigger picture?

This was one of your posts above:

quote:
Smart being named head coach of the U18 national team is going to help his recruiting. We compete against his school for many important recruits, both in 2016 and beyond.

And I was mostly just posting an opinion that Smart coaching that team (or really anything Smart is doing right now) probably has no relevance to 2016 recruiting specifically. We just don't seem to be competing head-to-head with the horns right now for any remaining 2016 targets.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Is Shaka coaching this team every year for the foreseeable future? If not, if we hit on these last two guys we're going after in 2016, our success over the next three or four years will greatly overshadow any short term bump they get from him coaching the team now.
From what I've read, Shaka has been with the USA team in different capacities on-and-off the past 4-5 years, but I do not know if they retain coaches for the U18 team. I'd expect they switch it up in the sake of fairness.

And no one in here is claiming we're screwed going forward, or that we no longer have things in our favor, or that we don't have any control over the situation. Just that we compete with Shaka for recruits and this doesn't help our end of things.
salvatore_ditmars
yeah, except you came and crapped all over it with the "we dont need to worry about this, we have to focus on the assistant coaches" post long before he made the recruiting post you are acting like you were responding to. dont be that guy.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
quote:

This was one of your posts above:

quote:
Smart being named head coach of the U18 national team is going to help his recruiting. We compete against his school for many important recruits, both in 2016 and beyond.

And I was mostly just posting an opinion that Smart coaching that team (or really anything Smart is doing right now) probably has no relevance to 2016 recruiting specifically. We just don't seem to be competing head-to-head with the horns right now for any remaining 2016 targets.
Yeah, I guess I mentioned 2016 because of Andrew Jones, but I presume that ship has already sailed and this development has no impact on his recruitment.

So, it doesn't affect 2016 recruiting. I think we are now all clear on that subject and can put it to bed.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Another assistant coaching hire today. Avery Sr. hired former Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey.

Scott Pospichal was brought in by Avery Sr. a year ago from the Dallas AAU circuit, on the surface it seemed to help lure 5-stars Tarrance Ferguson and maybe Marques Bolden into the 2016 recruiting haul, and when that plan didn't work out, looks like Avery Sr. axed the AAU guy and went to get somebody with more college coaching experience.

quote:
Alabama is on the verge of hiring a new assistant basketball coach and his name should be familiar.
Former Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey is close to becoming Alabama's new associate head coach, according to multiple reports. Alabama hopes to have the deal finalized at some point Thursday, a source told AL.com.
Pelphrey replaces Scott Pospichal who departed from the program after one season.
jml2621
quote:
Same with coach k being part of USA basketball

Bigger. NBA guys are not going to matriculate. U18 kids will.

Seems like Stansbury and BK may have had issues. He could have taken the Vandy job instead of a just OK WKU position.
LeFraud
quote:
quote:
Alvin Brooks
blast from the past

It's his son. I think Alvin Brooks (sr) is still at UofH
Steeple
Anyone who believes that we will not be at a disadvantage in recruiting against Smart going forward is fooling themselves.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.