USA U18 National Team - Coaching Staff

9,354 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
black_hat_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GE
AG
quote:
Anyone who believes that we will not be at a disadvantage in recruiting against Smart going forward is fooling themselves.
How so?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Anyone who believes that we will not be at a disadvantage in recruiting against Smart going forward is fooling themselves.
When has Texas A&M not been at a recruiting disadvantage in basketball vs. tu? Yep. And water is wet. They could have Mickey Mouse over there as coach and some 4-stars would still probably go to Austin.

The horn team that we beat this past season was full of 4-star rated guys out of HS who the Ags tried to land. Connor Lammert, Prince Ibeh, Kerwin Roach, Jr. All guys whom A&M offered, brought in for visits, etc. Went to Austin instead.
Steeple
Kids want to play for the cool coach.

Smart is the epitome of cool.

Kennedy would be on the other end of that scale. Building personal relationships really isn't one of his strengths so hopefully he finds some assistants who can do that.

Has nothing to do with UT vs A&M per se.
GE
AG
quote:
Kids want to play for the cool coach.

Smart is the epitome of cool.

Kennedy would be on the other end of that scale. Building personal relationships really isn't one of his strengths so hopefully he finds some assistants who can do that.

Has nothing to do with UT vs A&M per se.
How the hell would you know if building personal relationships is one of his strengths or not? From everything I've heard and read from players and other coaches nothing has indicated it is not.

And strongly disagree that shakalaka is the epitome of cool.

And your statement that kids want to play for the cool coach is demonstrably false as well.
Steeple
if you talked to our players or anyone who really knows BK off of the record, you would know the real story
GE
AG
quote:
if you talked to our players or anyone who really knows BK off of the record, you would know the real story
Who have you talked to that knows "the real story".
Steeple
sorry, that's as far as I can go
GE
AG
quote:
Ok, guess we'll have to take your word for it.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Always love 'I know things, bad things, but that's as far as I can go' vaguely worded posts on internet message boards. Very entertaining.
wacarnolds
AG
#AnonymousSources
mallen
AG
quote:

The players, assistant coaches, and coaches from other teams all have nothing but high praise for Kennedy as a person. TexAgs just interviewed all three assistant coaches and they all spoke highly of Kennedy and his leadership. In effect, You are calling all of them liars. Your post makes me think you have some sort of axe to grind.
Steeple
perhaps you can remind me of the last time that you heard a Texas A&M assistant coach criticize their Head Coach during a TexAgs interview?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
perhaps you can remind me of the last time that you heard a Texas A&M assistant coach criticize their Head Coach during a TexAgs interview?
Can you provide a link to the interview? To maybe better help us understand what you are referring to?
Steeple
TexAgs just interviewed all three assistant coaches and they all spoke highly of Kennedy and his leadership. In effect, You are calling all of them liars. Your post makes me think you have some sort of axe to grind.

Your words, not mine
GoodAg Paulie
AG
All the freshman recruits last year specifically mentioned the early contact and relationship with BK as an important reason for picking A&M. None of the asst coaches or other personnel we're mentioned. Have a hard time believing they all got together and decided to make up that line.
agfan1030
Not disagreeing completely with what you stated. But, Tyler specifically mentioned Darby as a big reason he decided on the Ags. Yes, he does mention BK, too. Maybe the Darby factor made it easier for him to decide?
Steeple
OK, 3 weeks have passed since the topic was discussed.

Since then, we have filled one of three open coaching positions. And we have filled zero of our five open scholarships since Keller and Stansbury left.

Summer semester and summer training begins in 30 days.

To those who strongly argued against my points then, do you still feel the same way now?
txag72
AG
yes.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
OK, 3 weeks have passed since the topic was discussed.

Since then, we have filled one of three open coaching positions. And we have filled zero of our five open scholarships since Keller and Stansbury left.

Summer semester and summer training begins in 30 days.

To those who strongly argued against my points then, do you still feel the same way now?

First of all Shaka Smart and the horns have nothing to do with Cullen Neal going to Ole Miss, Corprew not being academically eligible (apparently), and Gillon going to Syracuse. Which was the OP and point of this thread.

Don't disagree at this point that clearly staff turnover has hurt recruiting this past month. To think otherwise seems to be ignoring results.

Note that the info is that the second (final) assistant coach has already been pegged, is not an NBA guy, but for whatever reason they are staying quiet right now. Ironing out some final contract details? also the info is that Eric Vila the guy from Spain is apparently locked up and will sign in Mid-May once his current basketball season is finished.

but....we DO need to recruit a grad transfer lead guard and missing on Neal and now Gillon is starting to look concerning. If we could have just landed Gillon, could hAve maybe signed Vila and then mostly called it a day. But you really feel like they must be scrambling now at this point to get a guard.

I guess there is always someone like LJ Rose maybe but...eh......
Steeple
My point is that retaining and hiring coaches along with recruiting is about building and maintaining relationships, and my belief that relationship building is not one of BK's strengths (which is a huge problem if one is a D1 Major Sport HC). With a Sweet 16 appearance along with a fantastic core group of returning players, the Aggie BB story is about as good as it has been in some time.

So the problem is not in telling the A&M story, but who is telling it. Instead of capitalizing on a great story, all of us fans instead seem to be holding our breath over what will happen over the next month or so.

Who's responsible for that?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

The players, assistant coaches, and coaches from other teams all have nothing but high praise for Kennedy as a person. TexAgs just interviewed all three assistant coaches and they all spoke highly of Kennedy and his leadership. In effect, You are calling all of them liars. Your post makes me think you have some sort of axe to grind.

Of course they only had good things to say about A&M's head coach wen interviewed by a large A&M athletics radio show.

But we all know coaches and players and others can be excellent BSers.

I'm not saying they don't actually love Kennedy, but people saying positive things about someone publically proves nothing.

I'm sure everyone in this thread has pretended to like someone during their lifetime.

Myself, I like Kennedy the human being, am proud of what he accomplished, this past season.

Or do I?

No one really knows.
Aston04
AG
quote:
All the freshman recruits last year specifically mentioned the early contact and relationship with BK as an important reason for picking A&M. None of the asst coaches or other personnel we're mentioned. Have a hard time believing they all got together and decided to make up that line.

Nature of the beast that the head dog gets mentioned most prominently- even if not really the whole story.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
My point is that retaining and hiring coaches along with recruiting is about building and maintaining relationships, and my belief that relationship building is not one of BK's strengths (which is a huge problem if one is a D1 Major Sport HC). With a Sweet 16 appearance along with a fantastic core group of returning players, the Aggie BB story is about as good as it has been in some time.

So the problem is not in telling the A&M story, but who is telling it. Instead of capitalizing on a great story, all of us fans instead seem to be holding our breath over what will happen over the next month or so.

Who's responsible for that?

If he is so awful at personal relationships, why are men like Keller and Stansbury and Malagi and Darby and Cole and Rahim, etc willing to work with/for him? Not sure what your point is specifically regarding the assistant coaches. Everybody who left his staff took a job that was a promotion. That seems a normal problem for a successful staff. Lon Kruger just lost two assistant coaches as well to head coaching jobs. Does Kruger not have good personal skills in your opinion?
GE
AG
quote:
my belief that relationship building is not one of BK's strengths
What is the foundation for this belief?

All evidence I have seen points to the contrary.
Steeple
Well, it's May 8th. We've filled one of three coaching vacancies and have acquired a transfer from Lipscomb with one of our five open scholarships. I stand firm in my view.
GE
AG
quote:
Well, it's May 8th. We've filled one of three coaching vacancies and have acquired a transfer from Lipscomb with one of our five open scholarships. I stand firm in my view.
You interpret those facts as being supportive of Kennedy not being a good relationship builder? Looks to me like you're just throwing a bunch of crap against the wall and hoping some of it sticks.
Method Man
quote:
quote:
my belief that relationship building is not one of BK's strengths
What is the foundation for this belief?

All evidence I have seen points to the contrary.

He's amazingly good at building relationships with people that decide his fate as Aggie head bball coach.
Steeple
Last year with Keller and Stansbury, we sign a stellar class. This year with Keller and Stansbury, we sign two really top recruits. Once those guys left, not so much. And people don't appear to be beating down the door to join this staff. Feel free to ignore the evidence.
txag72
AG
quote:

He's amazingly good at building relationships with people that decide his fate as Aggie head bball coach.

I think that's the definition of a good coach in any sport.
txag72
AG
quote:
quote:

I think that's the definition of a good coach in any sport.

PS: Not sure how you reply to your own post, but I just did.
GE
AG
quote:
Last year with Keller and Stansbury, we sign a stellar class. This year with Keller and Stansbury, we sign two really top recruits. Once those guys left, not so much. And people don't appear to be beating down the door to join this staff. Feel free to ignore the evidence.
So we have two years with Keller and Stansbury to secure recruits for the 2016 class and you're melting down that we haven't added any in the 6 weeks after they left?
Steeple
Strike while the iron is hot. Aggie Sweet 16 appearances don't happen every day. An opportunity is being wasted and its concerning that those we are going after don't appear to be coming our way. In a time when we should be turning people away! The buck needs to stop somewhere, and its up to the HC to close these deals.

Or perhaps you are comfortable going into next season with 9 scholarship players, including a frosh PG and another with 4 yrs of Atlantic Sun experience? Because the recruiting and hiring season is just about over.
Method Man
The sweet 16 thing is overrated as far as imprint on recruits., imo
Steeple
considering that we've had one CBI and one NIT bid to work with over the past 4 years...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.