Coach Kennedy will get it done

36,795 Views | 321 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jumbo Fister
Warrior Poet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm really rooting for him to make me a believer this year, and I think he shows up and walks the walk. Last year was a fluke, and this year he has had time to adjust his personal life and focus on the team.

I liked this guy from the get-go, but he went through some really tough times last year. I'm glad we all stuck it out with him, and now he is going to put this team back on top where it belongs.

I felt like posting some sunshine on here since this board looks like a dumpsterfire was lit on its already scorched ashes.
Know Your Enemy
Method Man
Amarillo Slim
AG
Coach K. seems like a great family man and a good man and I wish him nothing but the best especially in terms of success at A&M. That being said, I did not see anything last year from A&M despite all the issues that suggests to me that he will get it done. From a coaching standpoint I believe he is squarely on the hot seat this year. Granted we have 7 new players but they are HIS players and so we should see definite improvement this year if he is the guy. We should also expect some bumps along the way as the new guys learn the system and get acclimated with each other but we should also see glimpses of the very best his team can be. I suggest we judge him by the highs and ability to make changes during the lows. I just did not see many adjustments last year and frankly he may not of had any players to do that with but there are no excuses this year.
Warrior Poet
AG
quote:
I suggest we judge him by the highs and ability to make changes during the lows. I just did not see many adjustments last year

I've never seen your posts before, I don't know you, but that is one of the smartest things I have seen written on last season from our fans on here.

I think he is going to surprise us all this season on how much he improves in making adjustments and clamping down when the game is on the line.
XL2Win
Well, I hope you're right.

But just exactly why do you think there will be a magical change in his ability to make adjustments vs last year? Did he get additional training? Get more motivated? Change his hoops philosophy?

Certainly better players and a deeper bench expands his options but there were some rather bizarre personnel moves last season. Perhaps personalities or discipline issues.

We shall see. Other than the tourney, our OOC schedule is pretty weak, so he has a lot of room to work to find his starting rotation and get prepared for SEC play.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. If he sucks, I hope we make a quick change before he takes the program into the crapper.
THE LOVER
Didn't handle adjustments well last season. Weren't many adjustments to be made. Playing with no point gaurd for a stretch. The deerr in the headlights look good players gave him in regards to at Baylor Florida game. I'm not saying he doesn't earn huge blame. But that team didn't look anything like his past teams. I get the feeling things will be smoother this season.

[This message has been edited by THE LOVER (edited 10/24/2012 6:57a).]
THE LOVER
I thought Turgeon coached better into his 2nd season. Sometimes it takes a year to take control of a team.
THE LOVER
Name one bizarre player situation. Injurys crippled any options he had.
4ZORRO
Know Your Enemy
AG
It's hard to make adjustments when you don't have much to work with.
THE LOVER
Last years team was overrated; while this years team is underrated.
THE LOVER
Point guard issues limited scoring options. Not enough toughness inside. This was last years team.

Point guard seems better. Scoring options will be interesting. I'm simply hoping Green moves forward and we get point guards that can get in the lane and finnish. We have to have a big step up. Doesn't have to be pretty but we've got to have toughness inside. Can't get pushed around.
RhodeAg
AG
quote:
Well, I hope you're right.

But just exactly why do you think there will be a magical change in his ability to make adjustments vs last year? Did he get additional training? Get more motivated? Change his hoops philosophy?

Good to see that you'll be a force for positive thinking on the basketball Board this year, XL...

Pumpkinhead
AG
Kennedy's adjustment choices during the Okie State and Baylor home games last year:

"How long can I get away with playing a walk-on with 6 minutes of total D1 playing experience (and who didn't even play on a highschool varsity team) at PG before I have to use one of my shooting guards to play out of position and do that?"

Guys, last year sucked. However, there were still a few moments, like that first half AT Kansas that were damn impressive and reason for hope.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 10/24/2012 5:07p).]
mallen
AG
My overall feeling is that this will be a good year!
Warrior Poet
AG
quote:

1) He was having his own issues that really hurt his team chemistry during the first month of the season, and it set us a month back

2) As others have said, our PG situation was bad last year....really bad

3) His coaching style thrives on a fast team with great fundamentals and a strong PG, much like that team we had with Acie at the helm (when Pompey was there) and much like the team we had the year after Acie left when Davis was the big man. We arguably are getting back to that with Turner being a similar role player to Pompey, who was just all hustle and a huge playmaker for us back in the day, and then some potential quality starters at the PG position.

He has gotten silent, but deadly recruits, I see no reason why the man who won 30 games in the last 5 years can make a comeback and surprise us.

I have good feelings about that little Coonass Coach of ours making moves and being a great inspiration to overcoming adversity.

[This message has been edited by Warrior Poet (edited 10/24/2012 9:05p).]
agfan1030
last five years 105-57

Murray State (Head Coach / 107-53, five years)
Year Record Postseason
2006-07..................16-14
2007-08..................18-13
2008-09..................19-12
2009-10†.....OVC Champs..31-5..NCAA Second Round
2010-11†.....OVC Champs..23-9..NIT
Texas A&M 2011-12........14-18
Warrior Poet
AG
quote:
last five years 105-57

when i said "won 30 games" I meant he had a 30-win season, not that he had only 30 wins (if that's what your response was aimed at)

it's pretty magical to get a 30 win season in college basketball...anyone who achieves that is NOT a fluke

agfan1030
gotcha....sorry my comprehension was down again
Warrior Poet
AG
quote:
gotcha....sorry my comprehension was down again

lol well it was mostly my fault. no worries
dkd95
AG
positive thinking about basketball -- i like it! Ready for the season to start!

fightinags2013
AG
^Let's hope it lasts^
bigbass1170
AG
Warrior Poet
Aggies
Coach Kennedy --- Wishing him the Very Best this coming season!!

We want to return to the NCAA Tournament !!

[This message has been edited by Aggies (edited 10/26/2012 1:17p).]
Flawed
AG
Warrior Poet.

I'm really excited to see what we can do this year.
rwtxag83
AG
Look, 1)the man had major personal issues last year, 2) he was brought in at a very, very bad and unconventional time of year, 3) it was his first year, and 4) he really didn't have much to work with.

Call it excuses if you want, but when you've proven you can coach, there have to be reasons it's not working.

He may not get it done, but as has been posted, it's finally his team, and he won't have excuses this year. I'm optimistic. Let's let 'em play before we pass too much judgement. With our weak OOC schedule, we may end up seeing a BCG type of momentum and team buy-in to his method that will roll us into SEC play.
mcag83
AggieEyes
AG
This is a very important year for him professionally. He needs to demonstrate something.
TXCityAggie
AG
I am pulling for Kennedy to get it done this year. He seems like a good man, and I want to see him succeed.

However, if this year is another disaster I hope a swift change is made. A&M basketball will not be able to recover quickly if we have too many seasons like the last one.
THE LOVER
Kennedy could have a worse year than last year and he still won't get fired. Fired after only getting two years leads to picking a coach of the junk pile.
Maroon Dawn
AG
I don't think he will be fired, but as some one else put it, he will retire citing medical reasons.

As for picking off the junk pile....wth would you classify this last hire as? We didn't hire a coach from a power conference or even a good midmajor conference. We shopped for a coach from the one bid leagues, the lowest tier of D1 college basketball.

[This message has been edited by Maroon Dawn (edited 11/1/2012 9:48p).]
THE LOVER
Kennedy is a fine coach with a good coaching back ground. You fire him after two years you won't be getting anyone any better. Kennedy's health is fine he isn't retiring anytime soon.
Maroon Dawn
AG
I mean that medical retirement is a nice, easy way to let him go without actually firing him (regardless of his actual health)

The university doesn't get bad rep for firing a coach but doesn't have to stick with someone who is in way over his head trying to compete at a level where you can't win just by recruiting track guys and racing up down the court until you tire the other guys out because they aren't the best athletes out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.