Billy Gillespie hired to Coach Texas A&M Basketball

8,452 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by MTAggie
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
in other news

TxAgKuwait...is a complete idiot also
TxAgKuwait
AG
quote:
I'm sure they will be happy with only winning 1 Big 12 tournament game to get a sweet 16 appearance..... THE tournament that matters isn't the one the big 12 has.

That's true.

However.

That team, featuring Acie Law IV...arguable had more thyan enough talent and experience to have gone to the Elite 8, maybe even the Final 4.

Instead, St Billy's team choked in the Sweet 16.

Choked.

Couldn't do caca. Got beat. On something resembling a home floor (or at least it was close to home.)

Nope, when it really mattered St Billy's team didn't do what they were capable of.

Yes, it was a profound turnaround from when Melvin was here. But Billy saw the handwriting on the wall and he escaped when he could.

He was trying to leave. Nobody seems to remember that. He had a done deal with Arkansas waiting on a signature (whoa, wait, I forgot that he was a handshake kinda guy) when Kentucky came calling.

To read these odes to Billy the Boozer one would have thought that he cured cancer and rescued an orphanage full of nuns and kids from Moammar Gadaffi.

The guy was a decent basketball coach.

He fell in to a good situation, talent wise.

He skated when something he perceived as better came along.

He failed miserably when he got there.

Bottom line: Gillispie was Kentucky's version of Dennis Franchione.

He has been nowhere near as good without his assistants (Sadler, Williams) just like Fran was not anything to write home about once he got here without Patterson.

We will see how he does it Tceh. It might be an improvement, but it might not be as wonderful as everyone thinks.

At least Turgeon hasn't lost to Gardner-Webb.

Bobcatreport
So what?

You Ags got a great coach after Billy Clyde left you for Kentucky. How can you fault a guy with no ties besides employment to bolt for a job like that? He's a lifer and UK is at the top of the pile historically.

You should talk less about ESPN slighting you and more about kicking his can a couple of times a year while he toils in the Panhandle wasteland. Unless you're scared of what he might do in very short order, like he accomplished in Aggieland last time...
agfan1030
exactly bobcat...if texags would spend more time getting behind their team (the whole team) and not dwelling on the past it's bound to make a much better atmosphere for basketball at Reed.
Ag_EE_88
AG
quote:
Instead, St Billy's team choked in the Sweet 16.

I agree with that. I believe I said that then too. Still better to choke in the sweet 16 than before that.
CDub06
AG
I'm bringing the hate when he steps in Reed Arena next season.
Amazing Moves
He is way better than Turgeon. Simple as that. We should of had him come back. He can recruit. Turge cant. He can win big games. Turge can't.
CDub06
AG
quote:
He is way better than Turgeon. Simple as that. We should of had him come back. He can recruit. Turge cant. He can win big games. Turge can't.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. If you hate our coach, why don't you go register at Tech's board and worship there.
TxAgKuwait
AG
quote:
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. If you hate our coach, why don't you go register at Tech's board and worship there.

Amen. Amen. and Amen.

What is it about his departure that you BCG worshippers don't understand?

He basically told Aggieland to take a flying F at a rolling doughnut. He was gone.

It wasn't about a dream job at a legendary program coming along. He was gone regardless. If not Kentucky, then Arkansas.

We wanted him to be an Aggie. He wasn't. He was hired help. He was hired help with the morals of hormonally crazed alley cat.

I wish Turgeon would write a dissertation and get himself a sheepskin from A&M and hang it on the wall. That's what Shelby did. He wanted to be an Aggie so badly that he got himself a doctorate so he would have an A&M diploma.

BCG would wipe his butt with your A&M diploma.

Athletics are nice but they are insufficient to get me to throw away what it means to be an Aggie. Some of you win-at-all-costs-let's rehire-BCG people need an enema. A big one.

We have the best of situations right now with a stand-up guy who can coach. I would hate to see him go.

This chronic BCG worship might just be enough to send him to NCState or GaTech. I know if it was me in Mark Turgeon's shoes, and I happened to read some of the swill you people post about the ass---- drunk who was my predecessor, I'd jump on the next gig that came along.

Bottom line: BCG didn't give a rat's ass about A&M. His only concern was a paycheck and the constant advancement of BCG. I have no idea if that will prove true about Tceh or not. But it was true about Aggieland. BCG would take a crap on us at any time and for any reason, because he didn't really care about anything.

Except BCG.

agfan1030
quote:
He can recruit.

That remains to be seen. With his record after his stint here and his history his recruiting success may drop. Remember he is not recruiting to play at UK anymore.
TAZ99
AG
Can we just agree in principle to hiring him and then just give Turge a raise instead?
Bea Arthur is SEXY
Please do not think for a microsecond that just because he is back in Texas at a Big 12 school that he isn't and/or won't consider leaving when he gets the chance. Think about it - he was interviewed and then went days without taking the job, while Oklahoma just happened to fire their coach. Then it comes out that OU isn't interested and all of a sudden he takes the Tech job. If you don't think for a second that he won't bust out of Lubbock like he did in College Station, you are mistaken. I greatly appreciate him building our basketball program, but I don't trust him as far as I can throw Brittney Griner.

With that said, he will make Tech better. I have no doubts about that. Of course, I said the same thing about Kentucky too. I guess it is possible that he could go all Billy Tubbs and never be the same. I do think he is in his element in Texas, though. It's the best move Tech could have made.
westtexastinman
ESPN loves the Ags. This just in:

[This message has been edited by westtexastinman (edited 3/20/2011 6:20p).]
The Milkman
AG
So the link that says "as ESPN reported it, Texas A&M" links here...thats pretty awesome

http://deadspin.com/#!5783929/even-through-the-tears-young-texas-fan-manages-a-brave-hook-em-horns
Coby
AG
^ Nice picture.
wilhunting
AG
I'm am ag am I am not trolling. With that said I would take BCG back in a heartbeat. I have an opinion and it's that BCG is a better coach than the one we have.

"half the world is sleeping while the other half dreams."
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
All that Kuwait said !
Naked Hiker
AG
Look at me, I'm on deadspin.
MTAggie
AG
quote:
Indeed, you could argue that before BCG, Aggie basketball wasn't even on the map.

Not true. During my years, A&M had a damn good team and the coach wasn't BCG.

MTAggie
BQ '80

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe. Frank Zappa, US musician, singer, & songwriter (1940 - 1993)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.