A&M game not shown in Dallas

9,326 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good call Will94! Just sent this to BB:
quote:
Howdy Bill,

Rumor up here in DFW is that the A&M game will NOT be on the local CBS station and has be relegated to CBS College Sports...which a lot of folks don't have and others do not have in HD.

Is this true? And if so, is there anything you guys can do??

Enjoy this week! We are super proud of our teams and all the hard work you have done to help them get to this point!

Gig 'em,
XXXX 99
Garland, TX
superunknown
AG
quote:
He's the Director of Programming.

KTVT is a CBS corporate owned & operated affiliate. Guarandamntee if corporate tells him to run the game (or not run the game), that's what happens. Just like if John Hogan or any of the Mays tells a Clear Channel station to do something, they do it.

So, you need to go over Ken What'shisname's head.

I'm not saying you need to go straight to Les Moonves or even Sumner Redstone's head, but there's a level of murky corporate goodness between those two and Ken that have decision making power.
Gap
AG
I know there are plenty of dumb people in the tv business, but could they possibly be as dumb as we are trying to give them credit for here?

Game is confirmed in Houston and Austin on CBS. I really have a hard time believing there is any question as to whether the game will be on in Dallas.
AgEfan
Dallas Morning News is reporting CBS will not show the game and saying its not going to chance. Said there is a chance Channel 21 "might" carry it.
chrisocker
AG
I have DirecTV and 613 does not work for me. This blows!
Gap
AG
...and that is because it is a no-brainer. CBS is already televising the game. There is no additional cost decision to be made.

If they aren't televising the A&M game, why would they televise almost anything else on Thursday or Friday. Only a very few have any local interest.

I really have a hard time believing that they are that big a group of fools.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
One more question, is KWTX-DT the same thing as what I have on Time Warner becasue that is not what it shows on my tv??

I would say it takes time to update on your TV. It's showing up on KWTX on my DirecTV now.
rcb05
AG
http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/03/channel-11s-ncaa-tournament-sc-1.html
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Channel 11's NCAA Tournament Schedule -- Friday's Aggie Outrage
6:24 PM Tue, Mar 16, 2010
Barry Horn/Reporter

CBS has no plans to broadcast Friday's Texas A&M-Utah State game back to Dallas on Channel 11 at 3:45 p.m. Channel 11 will be showing local and national news instead. Sigh.

Here's Channel 11's Friday lineup: Minnesota-Xavier, 11:25 a.m.; Missouri-Clemson, 1:35 p.m.; Georgia Tech-Oklahoma State, 6:15 p.m.; Houston-Maryland, 8:40 p.m. A Channel 11 spokesperson emailed that the station would show the A&M game on sister station KTXA (Channel 21) if possible.

http://sportsmediablog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/03/channel-11s-ncaa-tournament-sc-1.html
Gap
AG
AgEfan,
CBS is already televising the game. Your problem is with a Dallas affiliate.
lazuras_dc
AG
Time Warner Channel 790 CBSCH 4pm Friday NCAA Basketball Tournament HD, Live, Texas A&M vs. Utah State in First-Round game in Spokane.

As per my Digital Cable guide. I am in East Dallas.

[This message has been edited by lazuras_dc (edited 3/16/2010 10:09p).]
Gap
AG
Well there we go...it is confirmed that the game is on over the air in Dallas, Houston, and Austin.
Ol Jock 99
AG
What pray tell is Time Warner Channel 790??

It looks like I can get a crappy non-HD broadcast on CBS CS on Verizon FiOS.

This is bullsheet, plain and simple. It should be on the REAL CBS station in HD.
rcb05
AG
Still sucks. I have U-verse, so I'll have to go to a sports bar to see the game. No guarantee it will be in HD. Horrible.
superunknown
AG
quote:
...and that is because it is a no-brainer. CBS is already televising the game. There is no additional cost decision to be made.

If they aren't televising the A&M game, why would they televise almost anything else on Thursday or Friday. Only a very few have any local interest.

I really have a hard time believing that they are that big a group of fools.

The additional cost decision to be made isn't really a cost decision, it's a revenue decision.

That local break they are using (instead of running that afternoon game, which happens to be ours) has way more local commercial inventory available, and chances are, the money is already spent by whatever advertisers have bought that local time. Running the A&M game would cause them to lose that revenue mainly because they don't have as many local commercials they can run during a game as opposed to local programming.

Another issue (and this, you'd have to talk to their sales manager about...and even then they probably wouldn't tell you) is that the way sports events are sold (especially one like the tournament) makes it harder to get any additional money out of advertisers.

Here's (roughly) how it works. You're a TV station running the minimum number of games, and you sell that sports inventory based on that amount. You don't get any additional money by airing the additional games unless you sell them specifically, and the nature of the tournament (not knowing where teams will play, much less when, until a couple of days before) makes that difficult.

The added layer of difficulty is that Dallas is a huge media market and KTVT is corporate owned, so any money lost by KTVT is lost by CBS Corp on the whole, and that's not gonna fly.

I think the best play here would be to address it through the sales management at KTVT and let them know that there's a large percentage of Aggies in the viewing area that will find other places to get their entertainment than CBS owned/operated affiliates in the market, whether that's watching any CBS content on Hulu, listening to KRLD or any other CBS radio stations in the area, and so on.
lazuras_dc
AG
Channel 790 is "CBSCH"
Not sure what else to tell you...
rcb05
AG
I'm pretty sure that's CBS College Sports. For some reason it's in the basic tier with Time Warner.
Gap
AG
I didn't read the if possible in the article.

You guys in Dallas are being treated like 2nd class citizens. I wouldn't stand for it.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
You guys in Dallas are being treated like 2nd class citizens. I wouldn't stand for it.

What are we supposed to do? I've emailed CBS and BB. Any further action would land me in jail.
Gap
AG
Old Jock,
I don't know...but I feel for you having to even fight this fight. I would be irate.

superknown,
The revenue impact comes next year and beyond as a result of their ratings in 2010 being no where near what they could have been. Makes it a lot easier to sell for good money next year with great ratings in 2010.
phatbc
quote:
What are we supposed to do? . . . Any further action would land me in jail.
I do believe you answered your own question
superunknown
AG
quote:
The revenue impact comes next year and beyond as a result of their ratings in 2010 being no where near what they could have been. Makes it a lot easier to sell for good money next year with great ratings in 2010.

Normally, you're right, but ratings have already been set. There's not another sweeps period until May. Even then, sadly, media companies aren't looking that far ahead. They will NOT take revenue off the books today under any circumstances. Maybe if the promise or assurance of more money in the very near future was made, so they'd not only not lose the revenue on Thursday afternoon, but gained more in the future (preferably before the quarter was up) and it might work. I'm not sure. Perhaps all it would take is for one of the infamous Big Cigars running a business to call them up and promise to run a schedule from now until the end of the year.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, I'm just trying to let people know why KTVT's not playing ball. They absolutely should televise the game. It's good for the community and it's certainly news-worthy. All that stuff took a backseat to revenue, though. That's the reality of the situation now.
Original Toad Boy
poor people who dont' have cbs college sports...snicker....I will have it on at my place on HD...hahaha
superunknown
AG
quote:
poor people who dont' have cbs college sports...snicker....I will have it on at my place on HD...hahaha

better to light a candle than to curse others' darkness, my friend. set up a slingbox or something and let the Dallas folks in on the party.
Keegan99
AG
The correct answer is for our AD - and the University as a whole - to revoke any and all media access for this affiliate and any and all employees of other media outlets owned by their parent company.
Gap
AG
omnipotent,
Um no, ratings for the NCAA tournament for 2010 are unknown at this point (the games haven't aired yet) and are a driving factor for what you can sell games for next year and beyond.
jaxisback
Keegan, I absolutely agree. If that channel is not willing to broadcast a game that they easily could request, then I think that course of action is absolutely justified. There are two other network affiliates in Dallas, so I would lay the wood to CBS.

Same goes for every CBS affiliate in the state of Texas that is opting not to request the game. I know that the CBS affiliate in Midland/Odessa similarly does not have the game scheduled.

Having this game televised in all these local markets is germane to our recruiting and overall branding. If these local affiliates are not going to do what is right then we should show them the door.
Gap
AG
Keegan,
You are absolutely right on. Additionally, we would get more coverage out of our revoking their access than they give us anyway.
Muy
AG
just checked my time warner guide and can confirm that 790 is showing the A&M/Utah St. game at 4pm Friday.
AggieTFA06
AG
The actions of the Dallas CBS affiliate is disgusting and absolutely disgraceful. What is the e-mail of the Dallas CBS ch 11 station so that I can complain?

I have lost a lot of respect of ch 11.

To 1,000,000 touchdowns...and beyond
farmer95
AG
kenf@ktvt.com

E mail for Ken Foote, Programming Director for KTVT

Spam the Hell Outta KTVT
agent-maroon
AG
http://cbs11tv.com/contact
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jeffdjohnson
I have CBS College Sports but not in HD. What a f'ing joke.
jaxisback
It's not just Dallas. Midland, San Antonio and others.

Sorry excuse for Texans in the director of programming chairs at those affiliates.
LostInLA07
AG
I get the game on TV in Nigeria and you guys don't get it in Dallas...hahahahaha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.