MSC Bookstore (Barnes and Noble) giving the Reed Rowdies problems this year...

10,151 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by The Shank Ag
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll go ahead and apologize for the length of this, but this is a somewhat serious issue so if you don't want to read up on it then you might as well skip it.

The new officers don't post on here much, and they don't want to come out sounding like complainers because they're working hard to find a solution, so I'll complain for them.

The MSC Bookstore has decided to enforce a rule that gives them exclusive merchandising rights to the entire campus. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, except that they haven't enforced it for anything or anyone else in the last five years (that the guys have heard of.) They are not allowing the Rowdies to sell their shirts this season inside the arena, and have said that they will fine them $100 for setting up anywhere else on Reed Arena property (i.e. outside entrances, parking lot, etc).

Let me give you a little history of the relationship that the organization has had with the bookstore. When "white out" first started a few years ago, the Rowdies did not have much money. In fact, we had practically no money. So we wanted the bookstore to help make white t-shirts for this new tradition (if you want to call it that). The bookstore rep we talked to told us that they didn't feel like "white out" would ever catch on so they didn't think it was a good move to make shirts. So the Rowdies made a deal with CC Creations, who was generous enough to let the rowdies have the first order of shirts, and pay as money came in.

The Rowdies sold these shirts for ten dollars, and with permission from Reed Arena, sold them in the Arena on the floor. Well once white out became popular and the Rowdies had paid off the first order, we made a HUGE second order of shirts. Before these shirts even came in, the MSC Bookstore printed up white "Aggie Basketball" shirts, marketed them as the "Official White-Out Shirts" (which is crazy since we started that anyway) and sold them for, guess what, 5 dollars, inside the MSC bookstore. The Rowdies basically had no choice and we had to drop our price to 5 dollars.

The next year, Reed Arena made us pay some random "selling fee" to sell inside Reed. I think the fee that year was a hundred dollars, no big deal since at that point we had enough money to cover that. Then the next year they said that the bookstore didn't want them selling them on floor level, but Reed Arena would allow the Rowdies to sell them in the concourse, this time for a $250 fee for the season.

NOW, the bookstore has decided that the Reed Rowdies are not going to be allowed to sell shirts anywhere on campus except in G. Rollie White plaza for 3 days a month (or something similar, I don't remember exactly). This years officers have tried making a deal with the bookstore (like paying a bigger fee) but to no avail.

Here's why this is a big deal. The Rowdies rely on t-shirt sales for all of their money. This money goes towards buying food for people that camp out (hundreds of people took part in the free bbq last year).

It also goes toward buying away game tickets and selling them back to students at a discounted price. (last year the Rowdies bought a whole section of tickets for the LSU game and sold them to students for 5 dollars).

And student attendance isn't up this year just because Turgeon is twittering and the virtual guide is online. Student attendance is up because on gamedays the Reed Rowdies have been standing around campus in front of Sbisa, the commons, etc with huge banners that say "Basketball Game Tonight" They've also put yard signs on major intersections that say the same thing. So basically, the Rowdies have become the campus marketing arm of Texas A&M basketball (using organization money, not money from athletics.

If they are not able to sell shirts, they will not be able to do these things into the future. So I'm posting this to 1) make this known and 2) see if anyone has any ideas that could potentially help these guys out. They have been working hard since before the season started (those Kyrie/Keith Davis signs at yell didn't make themselves).

[This message has been edited by bobinator (edited 11/19/2009 10:53p).]
Warrior Poet
AG
quote:
free bbq

i'm not really sure what's going on.

but i think you know where i stand on that
nactownag
AG
They did the same thing to the "Light the Letters" group.

It's bulls***.
Sandman23
AG
These guys really are getting screwed and it is a damn shame seeing how much they are doing and how hard they are working this year.
language expert
Just get a petition from a thousand people saying they won't buy the tshirts from B&N or something.

Jeez. Do I have to do everything?
Sandman23
AG
I smell a facebook group
Culligan
AG
There's 2 sides to every story.
language expert
Throw a nerf football at them.
nactownag
AG
Go directly to the top (President of the University or Athletic Director)
Sandman23
AG
Unfortunately the other side is just that the MSC bookstore doesn't want their profits cut into.
language expert
I NOMINATE DANAG AND LYNX TO LEAD THE CHARGE!!!

BEST DAMN AGS IN COLLEGE STATION!!!
bobinator
AG
Also, in previous years when they raised concerns, the Rowdies have tried to talk them into just selling the Reed Rowdies shirts for 7 dollars or something and then splitting the money that comes in. The Rowdies aren't trying to make a profit, just make enough to do what they do. Bookstore has never even seriously considered it.
language expert
Good idea, nactown. The AD is usually more concerned about helping people out and less concerned with turning a profit.
Sandman23
AG
bob beat me to it

[This message has been edited by Sandman23 (edited 11/19/2009 11:08p).]
nactownag
AG
If you make a presentation to them about what you are doing to get people to show up to the games then that makes them more money.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
Your store manager is Holley Scott

Texas A&M University Bookstore
G Rollie White Coliseum
300 Joe Routt Blvd. 1241 TAMU
College Station, TX 77844

Store telephone: (979)845-8681

Sounds like Ms. / Mrs. Scott needs to get some phone calls.
nactownag
AG
and if that doesn't work then I'd form a boycott. It's completely ridiculous what they're trying to pull.
txrandom
AG
Turge needs to assist us.
phatbc
I didn't think Aggies were that unethical

and 2nd the nerf ball, that was a fun afternoon
leoj
AG
I think if someone brought this to Turgeons attention he would be able to do something. He knows who helps out with what and what the real situation is. Rowdies have always worked their asses off to improve our program since I've been here, without a doubt
Tobias Funke
AG
This is really frustrating to hear. Let me know how I can help.
mazag08
AG
This is crap.

Until I hear that this has changed, Im done supporting the university bookstore.
AnalogyAg
Who the hell is REALLY making the decisions at the bookstore (how high up does this go?) and who do THEY report to?

Get the answers to these two questions, and I guarantee you can develop an effective answer to stop this b.s.

Just a little friendly drive-by legal advice.

Oh, and F them!
zagman
AG
Why can't the Rowdies sell their shirts online or do a tent sale in Northgate and Southgate on gamedays? Make a deal with Aggie Outfitters or other retailers to use their parking lots to do tent sales.
I will buy four shirts right now and will add a fifth if they have 3xxx.

Reach me through TexAgs e-mail.

Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
biobioprof
See if you can plant a question on Turge's radio show.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I'd really like to see someone at the MSC force you them to pay the $100 for selling shirts in the Reed parking lot. The Rowdies have been selling shirts for almost 10 years. I'm pretty sure the original Rowdies would have laughed at them and sold them anyways.
b_ballag03
If they still want to go the route of working with the MSC Bookstore, they could talk to the Bookstore about "sponsoring" the shirts.

What I mean is that the Rowdies would prominently display an MSC Bookstore logo or advertisement on the shirts they sell and in return, they are permitted sell the shirts on campus at select locations. That way they receive free advertising and the Rowdies get their funds. You could sweeten the pot even more by combining that with the previous idea of selling shirts at the Bookstore with a portion of the sales made at the Bookstore staying there. It would be a win-win for everyone. Hell, the rowdies could even agree to make the Bookstore their website sponsor for shirt selling rights.

If the MSC Bookstore can't agree to terms like that, well their just being asininely stubborn and don't deserve to be affiliated with such a wonderful student body anyway.
GI
So let me get this straight:

A Bookstore (entity with no punitive legal authority) is fining a group?
bigfoot10s
AG
By the way guys, Nactown and Bob in particular, this issue does not have to do with the bookstore. The university has a contract with B&N that they are the official on campus retailer of Aggie gear. The reason this gets shot down is that Texas A&M, not the athletic dept, the actual university, gets a defined dollar amount no matter what the B&N sales are. Therefore, just like I pointed out on the "light the letters" thread, your beef is not with the bookstore. It is with the university. The bookstore would be all about making money, but they have someone above them making these decisions.

Take it to the top, not to the manager of the bookstore.
Agsportsfan08
This is horse****. Why wouldn't Athletics already be behind a student group that the basketball office is clearly displaying as THE student body at basketball games? It makes no sense and seems awful hypocritical. I really hope Coach and the basketball office go to battle for the Rowdies on this one.
A_MBaseballFan
I'm down for a boycott. I don't know why anybody would by anything there anyways...very overpriced crap
Culligan
AG
Just another thought, aren't the shirts sponsored by AggieYell.com on the back? I don't recall that being on previous shirts (although not 100% positive). I would think the athletics department would be a little wary of letting you guys sell those shirts on campus as an official organization (I understand you're not, but you still represent the University) with a scouting website's name on the back of the shirt.

Better to be safe than sorry and get in trouble with the NCAA.

btw, I'm just playing devil's advocate, I think y'all should be allowed to sell them wherever, but maybe the difference this year has something to do with the sponsorship on the back.
XL2Win
quote:
Who the hell is REALLY making the decisions at the bookstore (how high up does this go?) and who do THEY report to?

Get the answers to these two questions, and I guarantee you can develop an effective answer to stop this b.s.

^ What he said.
This is BS. This is not a for-profit organization.

If this policy had been in place at the time, the Kyle Field Red-White-Blue effort following 9-11.
5aggies
AG
Agree 100% that Turge needs to be made aware of this, because as you stated, you guys are trying to help him! However, at this time of the year, I doubt he has much time to sit around and discuss it with you. How about trying to make contact with Dustin??
bigfoot10s
AG
AM Baseball fan-

You might as well just boycott the university, and the baseball team, and all of your classes.

It's not the bookstore. The bookstore and what they sell regarding student organizations, and how product is sold, is governed by the university. You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.