Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Wine Cork (natural) Recycling / Composting

1,362 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CrawfordAg
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone tried to compost natural wine corks? Austin won't take in our city collected compost bins rather they suggest throwing in the regular garbage.

I've read that they'll compost but we don't actually have a compost pile and have no intention of starting one. We DO have a wooded field / canyon behind our property including some of which is on our property. I'm thinking of doing a bit of a long term experiment and tossing a few out to see what happens to them. Easy to clean up later if required.

Anyone with any experience/ thoughts? TIA
HTownAg98
Spec's and Whole Foods can recycle them. I just keep a bag of the corks and when it's full, I take it to one of those places mentioned to get rid of them.
chet98
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Spec's and Whole Foods can recycle them. I just keep a bag of the corks and when it's full, I take it to one of those places mentioned to get rid of them.
Do they take natural or only synthetic? Because I swear the one time I actually remembered to bring a bag they only took whichever I didn't have
HTownAg98
chet98 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Do they take natural or only synthetic? Because I swear the one time I actually remembered to bring a bag they only took whichever I didn't have

IIRC, they both take both. Or, I didn't pay attention and just dumped them in the bin. I'm pretty sure Spec's takes all of them.
TXAG 05
AG
Why can't you just throw them in the trash?
chet98
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Why can't you just throw them in the trash?
Totally can, and have been, just looking to be a little more creative with the disposal of them. We go through a lot of them at my house
htxag09
AG
We take ours to specs or total wine.

Someone posted this exact question on our Facebook next door page. They had several responses from people who make things out of them and requested them. So could also be an option.
SydB92
AG
My local TW has cork collection bins as well
cypress-ag
AG
It may be more work but have the wife post it on a Facebook or Neighborhood. Alot of women do craft projects with it. I've seen bar tables done with corks that look pretty darn cool. Again, another options but trash and Spec/TW are good options.
CrawfordAg
AG
You can use them in potted plants that need good drainage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.