Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need Help Planning for Fredericksburg Wine Tours

1,899 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jh0400
Allen Gamble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My girlfriend's birthday is in a week and as a gift I'd like to book a weekend trip to Fredericksburg for the both of us.

Is Jan-Feb generally too cold to visit wineries? I'd like to book it sooner in the year but March might be safer.

Neither of us have visited Texas wineries but I know I'd like to visit Becker's but would like any other recs y'all may have.

Thanks!
bushytailed
AG
These are in Hye, so about 20 minutes outside Fredericksburg. Reservations are required.

Kuhlman has indoor seating.

French Connection should have heaters on the patio.

Ab Astris has indoor seating.
Txmoe
AG
Becker is a good winery but best to visit when their lavender is in bloom. Unfortunately that won't be when you're traveling there. If you just want to taste their wines, they have a tasting room in downtown Fredericksburg (as do most of the prominent wineries there).

Lots of good info in this thread: https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/3249572
TikkaShooter
Jan/Feb is a fantastic time of year. Very few party bus bachelorette parties. It's the low season. Go and enjoy. Could always run into cold weather, but indoor tasting rooms will keep ya toasty. And the wine, of course.

Beats the opposite of summer tasting in the hundy plus weather. Yuk.
AustinCountyAg
narrow path in Albert is our favorite.
cypress-ag
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

narrow path in Albert is our favorite.
Shhhhh. Stop telling people about it AustinCountyAg.... I've told my wife to stop mentioning to friends so it's not so crowded when we visit.
dsvogel05
AG
William Chris in Hye but you need reservations. Inside tasting so weather isn't a concern.

Slate Theory was a pleasant surprise. Inside tasting and reservations aren't required. They do have cave tastings, but you need a reservation for those.
agnatgas
AG
https://www.19thholewinetours.com/about

This guy will drive you around.
FIDO*98*
AG
Allen Gamble said:

Is Jan-Feb generally too cold to visit wineries? I'd like to book it sooner in the year but March might be safer.

Thanks!

Are you new to Texas? Pick any given date in January/Feb and you could be wearing anything from shorts and flip flops to a down parka.

We just went this weekend for Mrs. Fido's birthday and had a great time. The good news is regardless of weather, most of the wineries have nice cozy indoor tasting rooms. Here's a few thoughts from our experience

- Outside the box suggestion. Consider getting a cabin at Jellystone. We used to haul our travel trailer there and location is ideal. We could ride bikes to Becker, Hilmey, Fat Ass, Grape Creek, Slate Theory, Signor, and a couple of others without breaking a sweat.

- We stayed at Fredericksburg Inns and Suites this weekend. Easy walk to downtown Fredericksburg, but you'll need a tour bus to avoid a DWI if you want to get out to the wineries

- Cabernet Grill and Vaudeville are probably the 2 best nice restaurants. Vaudeville is more limited in selection, but I had the Lamb Chops on Saturday and they were amazing. Cabernet is harder to get a seat and may require transportation, but has a much better selection

- We drive in from NB so we can hit up William Chris on the way in, but honestly I think it gets a boost from being Aggie owned on here. Great wines, but I wouldn't go out of my way. I actually think Perdenales is better overall if you're coming in from East of town

- I like to support the businesses, but it's easy to get caught up in the moment and start slapping down the credit card. Then you get home and realize your $15 bottle of Rodney Strong Cab is better than the $50 bottle of ___________. Support the local businesses, but think twice about wine clubs or buying by the case

bularry
Cabernet Grill is pretty good, but I'd put Otto's way above and I'd be curious how the revamped August E's is after being bought by the Otto's group.

Johnson City not a bad place to be, either, check out the luxury tents at Walden. Easy drive to Hye and other places, although the Hye Market closed which super bummed me out.
country
AG
https://kirchmansprivatetours.com

You'll thank me after you call George and let him arrange everything.
jh0400
AG
bularry said:

Cabernet Grill is pretty good, but I'd put Otto's way above and I'd be curious how the revamped August E's is after being bought by the Otto's group.

The duck schnitzel at Otto's is one of my favorite meals. We've been known to spend a weekend in FBurg just to eat there.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.