Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Needed: Ches(s) Pie Recipe

1,814 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieFlyboy
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, LOVE Ches Pie, need recipe!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
FIDO*98*
AG
Fun fact. All Buttermilk Pies are Chess Pies, but Chess Pies aren't always Buttermilk

We made this one for Thanksgiving and it turned out great. I recommend taking their advice and get the Borden real buttermilk and not the store-brand low-fat cultured buttermilk

https://www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com/southern-buttermilk-pie/
Shep
Sean Brock has a good recipe. Uses a corn meal crust to add a southern twist to it. Pretty good.
AggieBarstool
Heh, TIL. Thanks!
MarylandAG
One single pie crust recipe
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornmeal
4 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Roll out crust, line a 9-inch pie dish, trim and crimp edges, line crust with double layer of foil and bake at 450 F for 8 min, remove foil and bake for 4-5 min until set and dry, remove from oven and lower the temp to 350 F

2. In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour and cornmeal. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs on high speed for about 5 min or until thick and light colored. Add sugar mixture and mix well. Gradually stir in buttermilk, melted butter, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla, carefully pour into partially baked crust.

3. Cover the edges with crust shield or foil to prevent overbrowning and bake at 350 F for 25 min. Remove the shield or foil and bake for 10-15 min or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 1-2 hours on a wire rack. Refrigerate within 2 hours for longer storage.

Pastry for single crust pie
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening (butter flavored crisco)
4 or 5 tablespoons cold water

1. In a mixing bowl stir together flour and salt, cut in shortening with a pastry blender until pieces are pea size

2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of the mixture and toss gently with a fork, move moistened mix to side of bowl and repeat with another tablespoon of water, going 1 tablespoon at a time until all the dough is moistened, form into a ball

3. On a lightly floured surface flatten dough into a disk and then roll to a 12 in disk

4. Wrap disk around rolling pin and transfer to pie dish

5. Trim and crimp

FYI, I use several recipes for the crust, the other main one I use utilizes butter (cold, slightly frozen) as the fat source.

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (7 oz)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp sugar
unsalted butter cut into 3/4 in cubes, COLD
1-2 tablespoons ice cold water

HtownAg92
AG
Someone brought one to our TG feast and oh boy did it suck. No one under 80 years old ate it.

Mark Fairchild
AG
HtownAg92: Try it, you will like it!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HtownAg92
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I did. It tasted like undercooked and unseasoned scrambled eggs with the same texture to boot.
htxag09
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

I did. It tasted like undercooked and unseasoned scrambled eggs with the same texture to boot.
I mean I've had a ****ty, overcooked NY Strip. Doesn't mean all steaks suck
HtownAg92
AG
I guess it is the concept that taints my opinion. With all of the different pies out there, to choose that one:

AggieFlyboy
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I guess it is the concept that taints my opinion. With all of the different pies out there, to choose that one:

Because a well made chess/buttermilk pie is amazing. It is simple, easy, and hard to screw up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.