Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cookware recommendations

2,660 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCA1
ElGoatarod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife would like to purchase new cookware. She wants to buy something that she can use for years. She is big into cooking, so it'll get a lot of use.

Currently she is eyeing a set from Hexclad. Does anyone have any experience with Hexclad?

Any other recommendations for good quality cookware sets are much appreciated. Thanks.
GAC06
AG
Hexclad seems to get good reviews but I'd be hesitant to get an entire set of nonstick. Get a set of stainless plus one nonstick pan. We have allclad and they definitely hit the "last forever" point. They also perform well and look nice.
TXAGGIES
GAC06 said:

Hexclad seems to get good reviews but I'd be hesitant to get an entire set of nonstick. Get a set of stainless plus one nonstick pan. We have allclad and they definitely hit the "last forever" point. They also perform well and look nice.

No issues with cleanup? As long as your properly use them, oil etc.
HTownAg98
A lot of people are recommending Made In. I've never used it, but I'm looking to get some new cookware, and they're one I'm considering.
FIDO*98*
AG
Williams Sonoma has a set of All-Clad d5 on sale right now. I've had these for 15 years and they'll outlive me.
Bobcat-Ag
We have pieces of this set and it's great, also gets good reviews and less expensive than the all-clad.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-tri-ply-pro-stainless-steel-13-piece-cookware-set/5582246?strategy=pdp_fbt&skuId=69696360
TXAGGIES
Amazon.com has that same all clad $70 cheaper
EclipseAg
AG
I have multiple pieces of Made In. Everything I've ordered from them has been great. Highly recommend.

I started with two carbon steel pans, but have since added a 12-inch stainless saute pan and a three-quart stainless saucier. I use all four pieces multiple times a week. They are very well-made and can go from the stove to the oven.

I also have some ancillary pieces from Made In, including a baking dish, chef's knife, wine glasses, etc. The company has grown a lot since I first started ordering and they offer just about everything you need for the kitchen.

Edit to add ... everything I've heard about MI's customer service has been positive. They've done a lot to create a community of users and connect their customers with professional chefs through cooking demos, etc.

TXAGGIES
Just got the 10 piece Made In with one non stick pan. Hopefully they live up to the billing.
javajaws
AG
I've found I get the most use out of a 8", 10" and 12" nonstick fry pan (think of these as disposable), a 10" cast iron pan, cast iron Dutch oven, and then everything else stainless - a few pots, large stick pot, and whatever specialty stuff you want (casserole dish, etc).
Bruce Almighty
AG
Its better to mix and match instead of buying sets because you'll get things you'll never use. I have a cast iron skillet, a comal, a large stainless steel skillet, a couple of stainless steel sauciers and a stock pot. I use cheap non stick and replace every year but the rest will last a lifetime. That's really all I need and I do a lot of cooking. For stainless steel, I have all-clad and I love it.
cevans_40
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

We have pieces of this set and it's great, also gets good reviews and less expensive than the all-clad.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-tri-ply-pro-stainless-steel-13-piece-cookware-set/5582246?strategy=pdp_fbt&skuId=69696360

Same stuff going 10 years strong for us.
GAC06
AG

Here's a decent review of Hexclad. Long story short, it's not as non stick as a real non stick pan, and will degrade further over time. To me it reinforces the idea to get stainless and a true non-stick for the specific uses that call for one.
Rudyjax
AG
Buy your wife what she wants and not what you think she wants.
Oso96
AG
All clad copper core. Had them for 13 years.
big ben
AG
All Clad all the way, buy once cry once
FIDO*98*
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Maybe with things like purses and jewelry.

In this case we know 1) Wife is big into cooking and 2) wants something that will last for years. I can say with certainty that cooking on the Hexclad would be disappointing and it's not going to last a lifetime. My grandkids will be using my All-clad one day and they make cooking more enjoyable because of the quality
Rudyjax
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Maybe with things like purses and jewelry.

In this case we know 1) Wife is big into cooking and 2) wants something that will last for years. I can say with certainty that cooking on the Hexclad would be disappointing and it's not going to last a lifetime. My grandkids will be using my All-clad one day and they make cooking more enjoyable because of the quality

Nothing good has ever been done buying something different because you know better.
FIDO*98*
AG
I can think of countless examples of where I've been given something or talked into something that wasn't my first choice and ended up much happier as a result. That's absurdly stupid if you really think that.
Teslag
AG
I've had my all clad for 22 years and it still looks and performs as good as the day I got it
aTm2004
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I can think of countless examples of where I've been given something or talked into something that wasn't my first choice and ended up much happier as a result. That's absurdly stupid if you really think that.

But you're a dude. A married one is now in question.
Rudyjax
AG
FIDO*98* said:

If she wants the hex whatever, you get her the hex. But you also talk her into something better and make it seem like it's her idea.

You don't get her something other than what she wants but you convince her that she wants the better.
sanitariex
AG
As a guy that ended up with a Calphalon stainless set that everything sticks to, give me the reasons I need and am loooking for to upgrade to all clad. Thanks in advance!
TXAGGIES
Made In sold out so ended up with All Clad F5 Stainnless Steel 10 pcs set.

My wife just asked for cookware as ours was non stick anthe black coating is coming off now. I do most of the cooking and if I tell her it was $700 she will know it's good.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Oso96 said:

All clad copper core. Had them for 13 years.

X2 I've only had mine for 2-3 years but they are fantastic and are the last set of pans I will own.
ElGoatarod
AG
Thank you everyone for the recommendations. It has been very helpful. I'll pass along to my wife the different cookware brands you've had good experiences with.
jh0400
AG
If everything sticks to your stainless cookware, better stainless cookware isn't the answer. You're likely not getting the pan hot enough before adding oil.
12thAngryMan
AG
Before adding oil or adding everything else? Why would it matter for the oil as long as it gets up to temp ultimately?
GAC06
AG
It doesn't
Bruce Almighty
AG
When using non stick, always add oil after the pan is hot.
GAC06
AG
Pretty much every source says not to heat an empty non stick pan. There is zero benefit but you could potentially destroy the coating
Bruce Almighty
AG
GAC06 said:

Pretty much every source says not to heat an empty non stick pan. There is zero benefit but you could potentially destroy the coating

Sorry, brain fart on my end. I meant to type stainless steel. Not sure why I put non stick.
500,000ags
AG
I have the All Clad non-stick. So far so good.
JCA1
AG
Big fan of all clad. Like others, I've had a set for over 20 years and still going strong.

Not sure how they are, but Misen was running a really good Black Friday sale on their cookware.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.