Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Bedt cookware

3,869 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Garrelli 5000
TXAGGIES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Opinions on the best cookware to buy? My wife wants a new set and I am debating between Viking stainless steel or the Hard Anodized.

Based on my research stainless is better but harder to clean? Is it worth the hassle?
RC_57
AG
Considering I was going to basically start a thread with the same question allow me to resurrect this thread/question.

Any input y'all?

Thanks
FitzChivalry
AG
Enamelled Cast Iron and copper are my personal favourites.

I have a few stainless steel pieces as well.

Really is dependent on what you are cooking, how often you are going to be using these pieces, amount of maintenance you want to do etc.

Better to buy individual pieces than sets in my opinion.
combat wombat™
AG
Believe it or not, Tramontina brand carried by Walmart (online) comes in almost toe-to-toe in comparisons to All-Clad and for a fraction of the price. It's got to be the "Tri-ply Clad". There's a 13 piece set for sale for about $300 right now. You can also buy pieces individually.

Do a Google search for comparisons. It's not going to have the same name recognition or "wow" factor if you like name brands but it performs almost identically.
RC_57
AG
Fitz, Combat, thanks for the input.

I'll take a look at y'alls suggestions.
RC_57
AG
So the wife nixed the enameled cast iron. She feels it will be too heavy. Considering she'll be using the cookware many more times than I, who am I to argue with that reasoning.

The All-Clad looks nice, but pricey. Combat, have you had personal experience with the Tramontina? If "yes", no issues? You're satisfied and happy with the product?
flipper94
AG
I've had the Tromontina tri ply clad for about five years and use it everyday. Very good quality, even heating, great heat retention, excellent choice. Get a good non stick pan for eggs and stuff and you won't have to purchase again for a very long time. I use a lot of cast iron as well for certain things, but daily cooking on the stainless stuff.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We've ditched all our nonstick and hard anodized years ago.

We use stainless and cast iron. From Lodge to Le Crusiet. There's an outlet for Le Crusiet near us and by watching for coupons and sales it's been easy to build up a nice collection. Yes it is heavier and my wife stopped complaining when I told her it sounded like she needed to hit the gym for strength training.

But it's not *That* heavy.
aTm '99
combat wombat™
AG
I have one pan. I like it enough that I'm thinking of replacing some of my "lesser" cookware with a set of Tramontina Triply. It's really well made and I like it a lot. And it's very attractive cookware, too.
javajaws
AG
I'm of the opinion that if you cook enough you really need a variety. Stainless set of pots/pans, 2-3 nonstick frypans, 10-12" cast iron pan, and a cast iron dutch oven.

Tramontina actually makes some good nonstick pans you can get off Amazon (the red handle ones). Use them until the coating wears out then replace.

Really, most any of the top name brand tri-ply stainless sets are good - go with what you like: All-Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, Tramontina, etc.

Lodge for dutch oven and either Lodge or something more boutique like Stargazer for the cast iron pan. https://stargazercastiron.com/
combat wombat™
AG
Yes! I have a couple of Le Creuset dutch ovens, lots of cast iron, some non-stick pans, and some stainless steel. I use them all. It depends on what I am cooking.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've got All-Clad at one house and William's Sonoma at the other. They preform equally well. I bought my son Tramontia when he moved off to college. The Tramontia is solid, but doesn't heat as evenly or clean as easily as the All-Clad or WS. It works, but they are not equal in performance. If you're looking at inheritable quality cookware, it's worth spending the extra $. Made In wasn't around when I bought my sets, but it's a brand I'd strongly consider today.

I'm not a fan of anodized cookware. Get some inexpensive non-stick from Ace mart and try to take care of it, but expect to replace it every few years

If you want to spend money for nothing, get a Smithy or Butter Pat cast iron. They don't work any better than Lodge, but I love the glass smooth surface
combat wombat™
AG
I just added that 14" Butter Pat to my wish list. That'd make a great anniversary or birthday gift.
RGV AG
AG
To sum this up, I inherited 2 extensive kitchens worth of cookware. Prolly have 15-20 pieces of Le Cruset and about the same amount of older, nice Lodge and the other old brand cast iron stuff. Plus some stuff that we/I acquired before getting that stuff.

When we were living out of the country I bought a top end Tramontina set, not because I knew it but because it looked good. The stuff I bought was made in Brazil, I don't know where the US stuff is made.

But that Tramontina stuff is very, very nice I line it as much as the Le Cruset, easy. As I learned, Tramontina is an upper end brand amd very sought after in South and Central America. My experience with it started about 15 years ago. I had never seen it before.

I have glanced at some of it in the US, but only glanced. It looks good. I have it boxed up, except for one large pan that I use frequently, so as to save it as I like it so much.
LPHA
AG
They're certainly proud of their product
WES2006AG
AG
I've had my D3 All Clad for years and love it. Seems pretty indestructible and performs great.
evan_aggie
AG
You should try a d5 if you ever can get a deal.
gwellis
AG
HomeGoods and TJ Max have the Viking alot of the time a huge savings, just FYI. Personally I have SaladMaster SS pans, I think they are the very best, this set is 40 plus years old and still going strong.
Gil '91
Objective Aggie
AG
I've had All Clad for two decades. Recommend.

But my favorite piece is cast iron skillet.

Also have nonstick but I bought a cheap All clad nonstick set.

Read wire cutter because they say about the same thing.
Texker
AG
We've had William-Sonoma for about 8 years. Bought from open stock as there wasn't a set that fit our needs. At the same time also bought a set of 2 All-Clad nonstick. They held up well. In fact just gave the kid the same set for Christmas.

Also have 2 Lodge skillets that I love. Have owned a Blackstone for about 3 years. Awesome piece of equipment. I don't use the Weber grill much anymore.
RC_57
AG
(waking this thread back up)

Any experience/verdict with ScanPan?
htxag09
AG
RC_57 said:

(waking this thread back up)

Any experience/verdict with ScanPan?

This thread pretty well sums the topic up. All-Clad and/or WS stainless cookware are well worth the money. Heat evenly, hold up well, ours are 10+ years old and look dang near new (wash with barkeepers best friend and soap).

Cast iron and carbon steel are great, too. These are probably the two skillets I use the most.

Which scanpan? I don't have experience with them, but as said in the thread cheap nonstick and replace is probably the way to go. And this is coming from someone who's wife got suckered into the instagram ads for one of those popular brands (our place) and it's a waste of money. No better than a normal nonstick, can't heat above medium heat or loses some of its nonstick, the handle cracked pretty early on and their warranty is worthless, etc. Nice not worrying about any toxins in the coating but for the price you can just throw away multiple cheap nonsticks.
Sazerac
AG
Have had two for years. Really only thing it's great at is fish. It's not even good for eggs due to the texture.

I've been happy with Duxtop stainless brand on Amazon. Only complaint is in some of the smaller pans the handle is too long/heavy making them a bit unbalanced. Probably should have just buy once cry once for All Clad but didn't.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My wife recently bought some Caraway stuff that has been very nice.
Take the trash out staff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.