Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best N/A Beers

3,450 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MAROON
Gabster43213
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For health reasons, I was required to totally give up alcohol over a year ago.

I was recently on a cruise and they carried two non-alcoholic beers (Coors Edge and Sam Adams Just the Haze). I ended up not trying either one, but it made me wonder if there are any good ones.

Any favorites here?
jah003
S
Just drink hop water and skip the calories. Lagunitas hop water rules… pretty much what I drink during the week.
FIDO*98*
AG
I think the 0.0s are generally better than the ultra low (0.3-0.5) that are still classified as N/As.

0.0s are filtered vs heated to remove alcohol so I think they maintain a better flavor profile. If you like Guinness, the Guinness 0.0 is my favorite overall. Guinness is already fairly low alcohol so no surprise that it stands in well for regular. Partake 0.0 has some pretty solid offerings as well. Karbach Free and Easy is pretty damn good, but does have a low level of alcohol so if you are trying to avoid any alcohol is probably not a great choice. Ditto for Athletic Brewing plus they are run by communist liberals so I quit giving them my money.

Not an N/A beer, but Luginitas Hoppy Refresher is my favorite "session" type non-alcohol beverage. I can drink that sht all day and often do on the boat. It may get pricey to get into a dozen or more, but worth every penny when you're not hung over the next day

Good luck and congrats on a great decision!
aggiedadofpanda
AG
Athletic Brewing has a lot of great "near beers", or less than .5% alcohol. They make all sorts of styles, IPA's, Golden Lager, even a Mexican style cerveza.

They are available of course at Spec's, Total Wine, etc, but I've also seen them regularly stocked at Central Market, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Kroger, and even my local Tom Thumb has a couple varieties.

I've got a buddy that gave up drinking and he switched solely to Athletic beers. He says they are the closest thing to a "fully leaded" beer he's been able to find on the market.
MarathonAg12
aggiedadofpanda said:

Athletic Brewing has a lot of great "near beers", or less than .5% alcohol. They make all sorts of styles, IPA's, Golden Lager, even a Mexican style cerveza.

They are available of course at Spec's, Total Wine, etc, but I've also seen them regularly stocked at Central Market, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Kroger, and even my local Tom Thumb has a couple varieties.

I've got a buddy that gave up drinking and he switched solely to Athletic beers. He says they are the closest thing to a "fully leaded" beer he's been able to find on the market.

This
jh0400
AG
The Athletic Brewing beers are actually pretty good as are their hopped waters. I like them better than the Lagunitas Hop Refreshers.
JYDog90
AG
I drink Budweiser Zero.
Formerly Willy Wonka
AustinCountyAg
how "healthy" are the N/A beers compared to miller 64, bud 55. etc.....Not that I drink a lot, or that I am fat, but I enjoy my fair share of beer and would be interested in cutting some calories/carbs from my normal diet of beer.
jwag
AG
Untitled Art has n/a beers I've purchased at Central Market. Kinda pricey but tasty.
aggiedadofpanda
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

how "healthy" are the N/A beers compared to miller 64, bud 55. etc.....Not that I drink a lot, or that I am fat, but I enjoy my fair share of beer and would be interested in cutting some calories/carbs from my normal diet of beer.

The Athletics I have had were around 45-65 calories. Not too bad. Not sure on carb content.
sixiron
AG
I've liked everything I've tried from Athletic.
Karbach has a pretty good NA IPA.
Coors Edge tastes almost identical to Coors Light, at least to me.
Bud Zero is my usual NA beer because the calories and carbs are less than average.
The Sober Barkeep on Youtube has a ton of videos of him trying all the different ones out there.
AustinCountyAg
whats the difference between NA beer and hop water?

From what I'm reading online hop waters seems to be more like a flavored seltzer? If thats the case why not just buy selztered water for 1/4 of the price?
aggielax48
AG
I liked the flavor of the Lagunitas Hop Water but its definitely not a replacement for beer. I might buy it again, but regular seltzer is in the same ballpark.

I think Heineken was the most authentic one I've tried. Since my goal is less calories than less alcohol, this comes in at 69 so not much of a shave from a light beer.

I tried Guinness 0....meh.

Community's Nada was pretty decent. A little watered down, but at only 25 calories, I will be buying this again.

Athletic's Hazy was pretty good if I remember, but I think this one is also in the 60ish range calorie wise. Probably stick with Nada over this, at least for my goal.

I have Bud Zero, Stella and Partake on my list to try.
AustinCountyAg
this is me. I love beer, esp IPA's, lagers. etc. stuff with flavor. However, i've got to start shaving some calories which has peaked my interest in the NA types.
AZAG08
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

whats the difference between NA beer and hop water?

From what I'm reading online hop waters seems to be more like a flavored seltzer? If thats the case why not just buy selztered water for 1/4 of the price?
The hop waters to me have just enough of that hop taste and feel that its different than a seltzer.
Is it worth the extra cost, thats something I have been debating.

I ordered a couple packs of different hop waters to try, but have not re-ordered anything.
I did really like the ones from athletic
AustinCountyAg
I tried the Budwesier Zero's last night and I thought they weren't bad. Tasted like a regular light beer to me for the most part.
Old Sarge
AG
+1 on the Budweiser Zero. I like the Dos XX mini kegs, but when I want beer without the alcohol (alternating sometimes like on an all day thing like a tailgate party), I will mix in some Bud Zeros. Or during the week, they are great with salt/lime.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah they have a little bite that differentiates them from sparkling water and the cans/packaging feel like beer. It's the ambiance that helps fool my brain
MAROON
AG
Heineken Zero is the best I've had so far - tried Coors and the Athletic stuff. Gave up booze for Lent and this makes it easy.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.